Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 12:11 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

Since I did not get a chance to respond in the other thread before it was deleted, I will respond in a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
I have two older brothers who were in the Marines back in the mid to late 70s. One was in for 2 yrs the other for 4 yrs. I think that's the correct amount of time. If not, then I'll take my verbal beating like a man who wasn't a Marine. Both had their basic training out in CA, your old stomping grounds.
During the 1970s enlistments were two years for combat MOSs like 0311, and three and four years. I served two four-year terms with the combat engineers (MOS 1391). I also went to boot camp at MCRD in San Diego, and stationed primarily at Camp Pendleton. I may have even met your brothers.

Quote:
I can honestly say there was little to no change in their demeanor or behavior when they left the military. They're pretty much the same as they were prior to joining. One is fairly conservative politically speaking, while the other is neither liberal or conservative.
I am not talking about a change in demeanor or behavior. I am referring to their attitudes, their sense of honor, and their ability to improvise, adapt, and overcome any obstacle placed before them. If you noticed no changes in them, then that tells me they already had those traits to begin with and the Corps was a perfect fit for them. As it was for me.

It is not "indoctrination" or "brainwashing" as many think, it is an attitude or lifestyle we are most at home with. The Corps gave us direction, a sense of honor and purpose, but it did not fundamentally change who we are personality-wise.

Without knowing your brothers I could tell you a great many things about them because they are both still Marines. There is a particular personality type that is best suited to be a Marine.

Quote:
Anyway, if you feel this kid would be a good fit for Alaska, then who am I to say otherwise. Let him haul ass on up there. Didn't I read where he said he was 6' 7" tall. Isn't that your height as well? Talk about brothers in arms -- and heights.
I would encourage anyone, vet or non-vet, who does not like the person they would have to become to live and be successful in the lower-48 to consider Alaska as a possible destination. The overwhelming vast majority of Alaskans that I have met do not want what the lower-48 has to offer and would be opposed to that kind of lifestyle being imposed upon them. These are the kinds of people I would like to see in Alaska.

I believe he mentioned that he was 6'-5" and 275 pounds, but I could be mistaken. I am indeed 6'-7" and 250 pounds. My little brother is 6'-5", and did not join the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
I would encourage anyone, vet or non-vet, who does not like the person they would have to become to live and be successful in the lower-48 to consider Alaska as a possible destination. The overwhelming vast majority of Alaskans that I have met do not want what the lower-48 has to offer and would be opposed to that kind of lifestyle being imposed upon them. These are the kinds of people I would like to see in Alaska.
Ditto that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska