Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:35 PM

178 posts, read 227,869 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all of you Especially the roadhouse info. Also, AK, I bookmarked your link, I feel I may definitely need it at some point, LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
I was going to mention the Roadhouse earlier but saw that someone else already had.

There are some interesting things going on in Talkeetna during the month of Feb.; you'll have a great time.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
The Motor home gig will be a wash, they normally don't put winter tires on them at the rental places because they don't normally rent them out that time of year, and there will be no water, shower or sink usage because if there was water in the systems, it would freeze and break the pipes, tanks and holding tanks.

Go to one of the on line type places like Travelosity.com or Hotels.com and check out car rental places for cars or a all wheel drive version.

Should you have issues in getting a place in Talkeetna, Wasilla has a few places you can rent as well, about an hour drive South of there and an easy drive until you fine what you are looking for! Trapper Creek is a few miles North of the Talkeetna turn off and has a couple of places there to stay as well, but are pretty basic.

Good Luck!

Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
I think this is one I checked on, pretty high rates for most of these outfits but the thing I am looking at now is how bad the roads are (potholes etc.) I am looking at the possibility of taking the train from Anchorage right now.

Thank you so much for helping though and I will check to be sure, this may have better rates than the ones I saw online Denise
Very limited schedule in the winter.

Alaska Railroad Travel - Aurora Winter Train

Old 10-15-2012, 09:43 AM

We will only be there Dec. 26th through Jan 2nd I think it is met, thank you though. I suppose we can celebrate my birthday if there's a place to go or New Years Eve. I usually stay home during those days, LOL! Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I was going to mention the Roadhouse earlier but saw that someone else already had.

There are some interesting things going on in Talkeetna during the month of Feb.; you'll have a great time.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM

We are going to take some sort of "flight" shuttle I think Suzanne called it, from Anchorage to Talkeetna. No motorhome and still not sure of where we will check in to stay for the 6 days.

I did check out the train and that would be our problem, the limited runs it makes. We are coming in on a Wed. and they don't run then, only weekends, or once a month for one line I read about Thank you much, you are all really helpful, Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Very limited schedule in the winter.

Alaska Railroad Travel - Aurora Winter Train

Old 10-15-2012, 10:09 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
We are going to take some sort of "flight" shuttle I think Suzanne called it, from Anchorage to Talkeetna. No motorhome and still not sure of where we will check in to stay for the 6 days.
Flight shuttle? And then how are you getting around Talkeetna? Is there anything preventing you from renting a car in Anchorage and driving up
?
As far as lodging, there's plenty of options in Talkeetna, even in the winter:
Talkeetna Hotels: Compare 5 Hotels in Talkeetna, with 345 Reviews | TripAdvisor

Also, definitely plan a stop at the Flying Squirrel bakery.
Flying Squirrel Bakery Cafe, Talkeetna - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
Flying Squirrel Bakery Cafe, Talkeetna, Alaska

Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Unless the property is within walking distance from the airport and the lodging I would rent a car. There might be some sort of taxi there but I wouldn't want to count on it.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:23 AM

She is thinking we won't need transportation in Talkeetna? There is a house she may rent, well, a cabin. The realtor will drive us if we have to look at any houses that are out of town a ways. Let me know if you think we will need a car. We could rent one in Anchorage and drive up, yes. If it's snowy and icy neither one of us want to drive unless we have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Flight shuttle? And then how are you getting around Talkeetna? Is there anything preventing you from renting a car in Anchorage and driving up
?
As far as lodging, there's plenty of options in Talkeetna, even in the winter:
Talkeetna Hotels: Compare 5 Hotels in Talkeetna, with 345 Reviews | TripAdvisor

Also, definitely plan a stop at the Flying Squirrel bakery.
Flying Squirrel Bakery Cafe, Talkeetna - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
Flying Squirrel Bakery Cafe, Talkeetna, Alaska

Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Ok, The property is a 10 minute walk the guy said. We'll check on airport distance. For myself I never like to be without wheels. We just found some message from a gal on one of the local sites from Talkeetna, and she said she is coming into town while her husband fishes because critters are coming into her cabin, omygoshhhhhhhh!! I think this will be the biggest adventure of my life, just the trip in Dec. let alone moving there, LOL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Unless the property is within walking distance from the airport and the lodging I would rent a car. There might be some sort of taxi there but I wouldn't want to count on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska