Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 PM

2,792 posts, read 5,567,598 times

Advertisements

If you are moving here, you'll have to learn how to drive in the winter anyway. I personally would rent the car. But I guess you have to go with what you are most comfortable with...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 01:22 PM

178 posts, read 225,811 times
Yes it would be a wash, geesh, I know so little about coming up there. Suzanne has been in cold climates so she knows a lot more but admits she needs help in all this too. Thanks starlite, really appreciate it, denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
The Motor home gig will be a wash, they normally don't put winter tires on them at the rental places because they don't normally rent them out that time of year, and there will be no water, shower or sink usage because if there was water in the systems, it would freeze and break the pipes, tanks and holding tanks.

Go to one of the on line type places like Travelosity.com or Hotels.com and check out car rental places for cars or a all wheel drive version.

Should you have issues in getting a place in Talkeetna, Wasilla has a few places you can rent as well, about an hour drive South of there and an easy drive until you fine what you are looking for! Trapper Creek is a few miles North of the Talkeetna turn off and has a couple of places there to stay as well, but are pretty basic.

Good Luck!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 PM

I agree AK, I don't think this is going to be for me at all. The more info I get and just thinking about all the down, sides to it, I doubt I will be moving there. I will come up with Suzanne to visit the area but I know I am a bit to used to having more creature comforts. I don't know how different the Haines area might be but with friends there I might still consider that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
If you are moving here, you'll have to learn how to drive in the winter anyway. I personally would rent the car. But I guess you have to go with what you are most comfortable with...

Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Does anyone know if there is a lounge where we can party that is non-smoking? We aren't the biggest partiers but since it will be my birthday plus New Years goin on, we would love to meet some peeps up your way Ok, yes, I will be brave and add we are both single and meeting some single fellers would not be too horrible either, I hope, LOL!!

Denise

Old 10-15-2012, 02:27 PM

Ok, now we are searching online for clothing we will need for the trip. These are the things we've discussed so far, I mean the items we are searching for now:

Coat
overalls (waterproof/warm)
gloves
hat (besides just the hood of the coat)
long underwear
boots (with room for more then one pair of wool socks)

I know all these items, even second hand, will be expensive. Suzanne is a Veteran so we can shop at military store for some things, if they have them. And online are our only choices since this area doesn't carry what we need and would probably be way more expensive then ordering online.

Feedback welcome, brandnames etc.

Thanks again and oh yes, do you wear your regular clothes under the "outdoor" clothes? I think Suzanne said you do?? So if you go into a place you can peel off the "hot stuff"

Old 10-15-2012, 02:34 PM

Oh neato!! We just scored a house to look at in Wasilla. It is equipped with creature comforts! LOL! And, in the price range. Waiting to hear more about it. Denise

PS By the way, might as well put this here too. I know there are plenty of realtors ready to score some dollars but if anyone knows a reputable one, and/or a house that is for sale that has the creature comforts we are hoping for like:
indoor plumbing
well insulated
2 bedroom or even loft and bedroom
1 bath is enough for us gals
small acreage (all we need for a few goats and chickens, garden)
also we want electric heat for back up and Suzanne wants to get a pellet stove, she thinks. We are both researching the best options. I love a fireplace but even I know they aren't the most efficient unless they are one of the built in types??

Old 10-15-2012, 03:11 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,849,809 times
Trapline Realty-Homes and Land for sale in Willow, Talkeetna, Trapper Creek, Susitina Valley, and Mat-Su Borough

Bought our cabin in Willow through Trapline. Highly recommended!

Willow is a great area, semi remote with easy access to Wasilla and Anchorage.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM

2,792 posts, read 5,567,598 times
Marty Van Diest who frequents these forums is a Realtor. I also would recommend Dody Kettler.
Wasilla & Palmer, Alaska Real Estate Listings, homes & properties

In Wasilla & Anchorage most people use natural gas to heat with. You don't see a lot of pellet stoves up here (although it is a growing trend) due to the higher price of the pellets.

Was there a reason you were looking at Talkeetna? Wasilla is less remote if you are concerned about being in the Alaskan wilderness.

You might also spend sometime at the MLS site for Southcentral Alaska: www.AlaskaRealEstate.com. Click on the tab for advance search and you can put in your search criteria to see all the available real estate listed with an agent.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Ok, will send this on to Suzanne and see if they have anything for us to look at!! I am getting more inclined to come up to live now. Suzanne is agreeing we need more creature comforts especially at our age. I can deal with cold, long days of darkness but just need a comfy home, not fancy, just comfy

Thank you soooooooo much, will keep everyone posted as to what we find!! Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Trapline Realty-Homes and Land for sale in Willow, Talkeetna, Trapper Creek, Susitina Valley, and Mat-Su Borough

Bought our cabin in Willow through Trapline. Highly recommended!

Willow is a great area, semi remote with easy access to Wasilla and Anchorage.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:36 PM

This is great, I've been way impressed with people not hitting on us to buy etc. I'd love to pick some folks from this forum to show us some places, Suzanne will too! I am feeling way better about the places we are seeing for sale up your way. They have indoor plumbing and some are small and adorable, just right for us Golden Girls. We are looking at one with 3 bedrooms so one we can either rent to another lady or, we can use it for an "office" for our online biz. I think I mentioned we want to sell our quilts or other handmade goods online, just as a sideline. Suzanne is retired and I want to work another 10 years at least if possible. My degree will be in Medical Admin Assist so am hoping for a more perm job in that area (even if I need to do a seasonal job for the first Summer).

Still searching for clothing deals. I think Suzanne has that figured out because she lived in I think it was Libby MT. I guess it gets cold up there too, Denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
Marty Van Diest who frequents these forums is a Realtor. I also would recommend Dody Kettler.
Wasilla & Palmer, Alaska Real Estate Listings, homes & properties

In Wasilla & Anchorage most people use natural gas to heat with. You don't see a lot of pellet stoves up here (although it is a growing trend) due to the higher price of the pellets.

Was there a reason you were looking at Talkeetna? Wasilla is less remote if you are concerned about being in the Alaskan wilderness.

You might also spend sometime at the MLS site for Southcentral Alaska: www.AlaskaRealEstate.com. Click on the tab for advance search and you can put in your search criteria to see all the available real estate listed with an agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska