Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM

468 posts, read 799,128 times

Advertisements

I have found that when we come to the border very prepared that we have fewer hassles. For regular crossings, I have a binder with all of our important documents and itinerary. I even carry my marriage license since my husband and I have different last names.

With our move things were a little more complicated. We were taking 12 rifles and a bunch of wine through Canada. I prepared triplicate inventory forms and even included the ammunition though we were not taking enough for them to care apparently. They even let us bring through a gun that technically was not OK. The barrel was too short. However, it was a single shot 22 youth rifle that could not be broken down. I know nothing about guns, that is my husband's thing, but apparently that was an important factor in their decision. They also said that our preparation was very helpful. We did send my husband's hand guns to a dealer in AK so we didn't have a problem there.

We have crossed at Sumas, Sweetgrass, and a couple of places in North Dakota and have not had a single problem getting across. The only hassle I have had is coming out Alaska. The guy was really, really worried that I would not have enough money to get out of Canada. He kept making sure I had credit cards!lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Try niagra falls rainbow bridge... Same thing as the western provinces.
OOH! I was at that bridge! I had a scholarship trip, all expenses paid, to Cornell University...

The last day of the seven days we were there was a free day (meaning you didn't have to tour, and could do anything you wanted). So, like anyone visiting upstate New York, we drove three hours (we made good time since it was February) to Niagara Falls from Ithaca. Nearly the whole American side (except a cheap gift shop, where I got a mug...) was closed, but the all Canadian shops, odds and ends, and tourist (Heck, even the Great Wolf Lodge!) were all out and open. I saw a sign when we where just getting there about the rainbow bridge, and kept it in my mind the whole three hours we where there. I told this to mom right from the start, so she made sure to bring her license and my permit (She's always been too busy to take me to get my full license, and no one else will take me...its her second and third jobs, I guess). Anyway, right before we were about to head back to the hotel, I reminded her. We got there, and it turned out we needed our passports just to see the other side of the park...

What a disappointment...

Old 11-03-2012, 06:22 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Magic Qwan;

The other side of the park ?

You mean across the International boundary, in Canada ?

Just a point point of information....................

The USA put in place. in 2009, the requirement, for All persons, entering the USA, to have a valid PASSPORT. That applies to US Citizens, too. So, it is YOUR Federal Governement. NOT Canada, that requires you to have a passport, to RE-ENTER the USA.

Clear on that now ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Magic Qwan;

The other side of the park ?

You mean across the International boundary, in Canada ?

Just a point point of information....................

The USA put in place. in 2009, the requirement, for All persons, entering the USA, to have a valid PASSPORT. That applies to US Citizens, too. So, it is YOUR Federal Governement. NOT Canada, that requires you to have a passport, to RE-ENTER the USA.

Clear on that now ?

Jim B

Toronto.
Yes, that is what the guard on my side told me. He makes sure everyone he lets across can get back. I wouldn't have been able to get back...

Anyway, not only was everything open on the Canadian side, but I saw four Canadians hanging out on a beach next to the world's largest whirlpool. Don't know how how they got there with everything being so steep all around it.

I guess it was innocent enough to want to join the party on the other side... would've been really neat to spend a little time over there...

Old 11-05-2012, 06:04 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The border hassle sort of makes the ferry look like a good idea (but still expensive). I pretty much avoid Canada these days, but half of that is homeland security on the way back in too.
My rules.

Coffee so to appear alert.
Wait.
Behave and Smile.
Passport.
No guns.

Smile.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:08 AM

Thanks for that post. Most Canadians are easy going. The border checks are mostly serious people and the poster is correct. They can spot a lie quickly. That said early in the morning in the frigid arctic they are lonely too. Don't be afraid to thank them and say hello.....they many time have good senses of humor.

For my new Toronto friend...it is this way. Ya' see....probably pisses people off but Alaskans typically think that the earth does not belong to anybody.....so when we come to a border crossing we are little cranky....typically. Borders, political and otherwise just get in the way of travel...

Really can't blame us much...it's the way we roll.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Thanks for that post. Most Canadians are easy going. The border checks are mostly serious people and the poster is correct. They can spot a lie quickly. That said early in the morning in the frigid arctic they are lonely too. Don't be afraid to thank them and say hello.....they many time have good senses of humor.

For my new Toronto friend...it is this way. Ya' see....probably pisses people off but Alaskans typically think that the earth does not belong to anybody.....so when we come to a border crossing we are little cranky....typically. Borders, political and otherwise just get in the way of travel...

Really can't blame us much...it's the way we roll.
Sounds nice. It would be nice if everyone could just let everyone else travel the Earth freely so long as it wasn't someplace explicitly private (Like your house or the land that is right next to your house).

I've mention feeling that way were I live and I just get blank stares. Nice to know somebody agrees with me...

Old 11-05-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Sounds nice. It would be nice if everyone could just let everyone else travel the Earth freely so long as it wasn't someplace explicitly private (Like your house or the land that is right next to your house).

I've mention feeling that way were I live and I just get blank stares. Nice to know somebody agrees with me...
Nobody owns the earth.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Magic Qwan:

Nice sentiment.............BUT it doesn't work, in the real world.

Latest example.........A man from Ohio, who appears to have killed his wife, was arrested near Montreal, Quebec, yesterday. He crossed over at Detroit/Windsor, before his wife's body was discovered, at their home. His Ohio registered car had been logged on the CBSA computer system, when he entered Canada. As soon as he became a wanted person, in Ohio, the Canadian Police Information Computer CPIC, had a cross Canada warrant, for his immediate arrest.

A Ouebec Provincial Police officer arrested him, after seeing his wanted Ohio plate. He will be extradited, back to Ohio, soon.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Its sad when just a few horrible and grotesque people ruin it for the the decent people, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska