Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:52 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Changing behavior sounds a lot like "adapting" which I thought was a good thing?
Exactly. If they adapt they survive. If they don't, they die. Been happening for billions of years on planet Earth as part of the natural way of life. It's only during the last infinitesimally small sliver of geologic time where it's all become Bush's fault.

Last edited by Moose Whisperer; 11-16-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Exactly. If they adapt they survive. If they don't, they die. Been happening for billions of years on planet Earth as part of the natural way of life. It's only during the last infinitesimally small sliver of geologic time where it's all become Bush's fault.
Infinitesimally. Boy, does that bring back some fond memories. That's the exact word my ex-wife always used when she would point at my junk and laugh till she cried.

Thanks for helping me not forget what a wonderful woman she was, and still is, Mr. Moose. I'd rep you if I could.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:35 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,026,358 times
Climate Progress | ThinkProgress

Climate change is real & shall bring about monumental changes in the world. Deny it all you want, it won't change the truth. The truth is the truth no matter what.

Do you truly believe that you can pump up CO2 into the atmosphere at such a high rate & NOT have an effect?

Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
There has been no global warming since 1998 – Telegraph Blogs

Breaking: A peer reviewed admission that “global surface temperatures did not rise between 1998 and 2008″ – Dr David Whitehouse on the PNAS paper Kaufmann et al. (2011) | Watts Up With That?

I used to be a believer in AGW until I started looking into the politics of it and followed the money. Research grants, carbon credit and swapping schemes, on an exchange set up like the stock market-there's money to be made and an an unmatched opportunity for social engineering. We puny humans can give up our heat and motion and the CO2 saved will be cancelled by a volcano or a good forest fire. And in Alaska we have plenty of forest fires without the proper permits

Remember R12? We had to give it up as it was "depleting the ozone"? Well, oddly enough it started depleting the ozone right about the time Dow chemical's patent ran out and anyone could make it. Like the Chinese who are still making and using it.

Cylinders Refrigerant R12 - Buy Cylinders Refrigerant R12,Refrigerant,Refrigerant Gas Product on Alibaba.com

So we in the west will put on our hair shirts and deploy our flagellents and be good little citizens of the world while the rest of the world laughs and goes on about their business. "Progress" has come to mean "what will you give up as an individual for the collective?"

Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post

Climate change is real & shall bring about monumental changes in the world. Deny it all you want, it won't change the truth. The truth is the truth no matter what.

Do you truly believe that you can pump up CO2 into the atmosphere at such a high rate & NOT have an effect?
CO2 is what plants need to produce Oxygen.

We all breath it out, it's a part of life.

Forest fires put more crap into the air naturally than man can match a thousand fold. Next time look at a fire plume off a Satelite photo and then look at a major city, no comparison. A forest fire covers thousands of miles with smoke, you can't even tell what a city looks like from the same distance. I get a kick out of the rain forest being burnt to the ground... They have rain, lightning storms daily, and guess what, natures starts fires all the time and then puts them back out, some plants can't even grow without a fire passing by. Plus the fires cleanup the forest floors of old debres. Then when the land is cleaned, they plant crops that breathe as well....

Common sense about nature doesn't seem to be very common, we are here for a short term, and will be gone like the dinosaurs. Just waiting for an event to push the planet to the next great period. The planet is billions of years old, we've been here yet a heartbeat of that time, and will be gone again in a flash.

We are grossly over blowing our importance in the big picture. Even if we blow ourselves off the planet with nuclear warfare, it will just keep doing what it does in nature without us, maybe a small blurp in a graph that is eons old. One asteroid, one big volcano or alien invasion and we are toast or possible a food group, nature has been far harder on the planet than we can ever be.

Our self importance is way over blown. This didn't work with my mom when I was a kid though, I still had to clean my room up....

Old 11-18-2012, 02:03 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:

Just don't get an ulcer or a heart attack over it. Since you can't stop it, forget about it and enjoy the rest of your life.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:54 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:

One way to dramatically reduce CO2 emissions in the relatively short term (a couple of decades) would be to switch power generation to nuclear. Obviously nuclear has its problems too, but they're more localized, as opposed to changing the contents of the atmosphere.

Has anyone seen poll results regarding support for switching to nuclear power among people who strongly believe man-made global warming is real and an imminent threat?

Old 11-18-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
One way to dramatically reduce CO2 emissions in the relatively short term (a couple of decades) would be to switch power generation to nuclear. Obviously nuclear has its problems too, but they're more localized, as opposed to changing the contents of the atmosphere.

Has anyone seen poll results regarding support for switching to nuclear power among people who strongly believe man-made global warming is real and an imminent threat?
Or hydro, which powered the pacific northwest to economic prosperity? The last time I checked, the anti-industrial crowd was collecting signatures against the proposed Watana Susitna dam project. But they will demand wind power which clutters the countryside with noisy bird killing blades..... "whoomp whoomp whoomp". They live in the city and never venture forth into the areas where those damn turbines do the devil's work.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:52 PM

City folks from texas don't have to drive around the corner of the Seward Highway and look at the malevolent stalks forever profaning the view of Fire Island.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post

Nuclear power generation in an earthquake-prone region is not a particularly smart idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska