Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:22 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lis6 View Post
Thanks a bunch, and yes, I will be working downtown. We did see a place or two downtown online, but since his job offer was in the other apartments mentioned, we were interested in that area. However, that could totally change as we wait to hear. Our original plan was for him to stay home with the baby until we were acclimated. From what I could see (Google street view), they look really nice from the outside. Right off of the road, but we are used to that.

You got it... I am used to driving 110 miles round trip every day, so even that commute is okay with me. Yep, he is coming up on 1 year old in February, so we definitely have quite a bit before school adventures. Also, noted on the drivers. The drivers here seem to go bananas over a drop of rain.

Thanks for understanding and being a wealth of information. It's all I've had, thus far
As I've said, I've driven by the apartments on that road and they do look well maintained. The only problem I'd envision is you get stuck with bad neighbors, but that can happen anywhere. You might check JuneauEmpire.com. Search for police calls to see what might be going on. I'm guessing it will be pretty tame compared to where you live and work now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 AM

19 posts, read 36,779 times
Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
As I've said, I've driven by the apartments on that road and they do look well maintained. The only problem I'd envision is you get stuck with bad neighbors, but that can happen anywhere. You might check JuneauEmpire.com. Search for police calls to see what might be going on. I'm guessing it will be pretty tame compared to where you live and work now.
Thx. For sure. I will hop on that site, and take a peek around. I'm sure it's a lot tamer in comparison

Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 AM

274 posts, read 860,397 times
We are not picky, by any means, but we also don't want to live around too much riff raff, esp having a little guy. By riff raff, I mean in the area surrounding said place, and what the close neighbors might be like. We don't mind if there are places to go/shop very nearby, or not.

I had the wonderful pleasure to work and live in AK for a short while and the first thing I can see about you is your attitude. If your going to live and work there:

Rule #1 YOU MUST DEPEND ON OTHERS as you probably will need them doing the lonnggggggggggggggggg winters. You know, being a good friendly neighbor. VERY, VERY important.

#2 Shopping ????
You better head for Anchorage or Fairbanks for anything close to DC/MD type shopping.

#3 You'd better do a lot more research about living in AK before you get on the plane. It's a wonderful and drop dead gorgeous place to live and visit BUT it can be very unforgiving.

#4 The "riff-raff" types are probably the ones you'll need to help you figure out how to shovel all that snow that you will have until June, and teach you what not to do when you encounter all the bear and moose you come in contact with and the "flying helicopters" in the summer and all the rain, rain and more rain.

#5 Go with and open mind and willingness to meet and greet EVERYONE................. and you'll have a great experience. Bring plenty of $$$$ too 'cause it ain't cheap.

#6 Oh, did I mention COLD? Up to -40 to -50 BELOW ZERO !!!! Have a great time and enjoy.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:48 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
We are not picky, by any means, but we also don't want to live around too much riff raff, esp having a little guy. By riff raff, I mean in the area surrounding said place, and what the close neighbors might be like. We don't mind if there are places to go/shop very nearby, or not.

I had the wonderful pleasure to work and live in AK for a short while and the first thing I can see about you is your attitude. If your going to live and work there:

Rule #1 YOU MUST DEPEND ON OTHERS as you probably will need them doing the lonnggggggggggggggggg winters. You know, being a good friendly neighbor. VERY, VERY important.

#2 Shopping ????
You better head for Anchorage or Fairbanks for anything close to DC/MD type shopping.

#3 You'd better do a lot more research about living in AK before you get on the plane. It's a wonderful and drop dead gorgeous place to live and visit BUT it can be very unforgiving.

#4 The "riff-raff" types are probably the ones you'll need to help you figure out how to shovel all that snow that you will have until June, and teach you what not to do when you encounter all the bear and moose you come in contact with and the "flying helicopters" in the summer and all the rain, rain and more rain.

#5 Go with and open mind and willingness to meet and greet EVERYONE................. and you'll have a great experience. Bring plenty of $$$$ too 'cause it ain't cheap.

#6 Oh, did I mention COLD? Up to -40 to -50 BELOW ZERO !!!! Have a great time and enjoy.
Most people reference questions here in terms of where they currently live, not knowing any better and what it might be like here. If the OP had inquired about Anchorage, she'd have gotten a couple of neighborhoods to avoid. Juneau on the other hand, has no particular area known for crime. The OP didn't know that, hence the question asked.

#1, #4 & #6 - This is Juneau we're talking about, much more mild than further north. Low temps might get to the minus single digits, but usually range from the teens to thirties, with maybe a week or two of single digit temps. Yes, we do get snow, but I'd guess where the OP lives gets snow and shoveling back east is not too different than here. Yes, it does rain here and it could be months before you see the sun. You either learn to live with it or move away after a year or two. No moose in Juneau. There are bears, but if you leave them alone, they don't bother you.

#2 - Seattle is more likely your best bet for shopping. In reality, we find what we need locally, and what we can't find, we use the internet. It does take some learning in order to find which stores offer the best shipping rates (hint: free shipping works from Amazon), as sometimes the shipping costs more than the item purchased.

#3 - Why do you think the OP came here? I'd also guess she did some research before applying for the transfer.

#5 - Nothing the OP said would indicate she isn't coming here with an open mind. I think a tone was set by some of the responses she got and a reference was blown out of proportion. Yes, it is expensive here, but I've heard Coastguard who came from California saying their costs went down here (except for fresh food items). I believe some of the areas around Washington D.C. has a high cost of living.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
Most people reference questions here in terms of where they currently live, not knowing any better and what it might be like here. If the OP had inquired about Anchorage, she'd have gotten a couple of neighborhoods to avoid. Juneau on the other hand, has no particular area known for crime. The OP didn't know that, hence the question asked.

#1, #4 & #6 - This is Juneau we're talking about, much more mild than further north. Low temps might get to the minus single digits, but usually range from the teens to thirties, with maybe a week or two of single digit temps. Yes, we do get snow, but I'd guess where the OP lives gets snow and shoveling back east is not too different than here. Yes, it does rain here and it could be months before you see the sun. You either learn to live with it or move away after a year or two. No moose in Juneau. There are bears, but if you leave them alone, they don't bother you.

#2 - Seattle is more likely your best bet for shopping. In reality, we find what we need locally, and what we can't find, we use the internet. It does take some learning in order to find which stores offer the best shipping rates (hint: free shipping works from Amazon), as sometimes the shipping costs more than the item purchased.

#3 - Why do you think the OP came here? I'd also guess she did some research before applying for the transfer.

#5 - Nothing the OP said would indicate she isn't coming here with an open mind. I think a tone was set by some of the responses she got and a reference was blown out of proportion. Yes, it is expensive here, but I've heard Coastguard who came from California saying their costs went down here (except for fresh food items). I believe some of the areas around Washington D.C. has a high cost of living.
Thanks to everything said. My initial post was taken way out of context. I am definitely aware of the above issues. Lol, I am definitely not a shopper. We do just fine with our grocery store and Walmart here in town. I just wanted to note that I don't need to be in walking distance to any shop, etc. But yeah, rental/real estate costs are right on target with, if not less than where I am now. Needless to say, many I have spoken with say that we'll love it there. We are very much into sports (hockey especially), and are outdoors kind of people, so no worries. We hunt and fish here, too ;-) We are very excited, and were presented with good opportunities, so here we come. Thanks again...that's pretty much how I wanted to respond to the poster above. Never know until you try. I think some like to try and scare folks away. Nobody I have dealt with in personhas miscommunicated at all, so no worries

Old 12-04-2012, 11:57 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
You're quite right; some of us would like to scare the riff raff away. Doesn't really mater to me who moves to Juneau, though, since the only time I spend there is when the plane gets grounded.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 PM

236 posts, read 427,547 times
+1 met wouldn't let me rep ya but ,GOD I TRIED !!!!!

I've always found you a good source of knowledge and quite funny at times

Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,422,589 times
If people like Met, Gramma, etc. despise those "down south" so much, then by all means, feel free to organize a political movement to secede and be independent. I'm sure Russia would absolutely love it if you do that. Canada is friendlier and has more resources anyways...oh, and no Palins.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 PM

Default Hi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
If people like Met, Gramma, etc. despise those "down south" so much, then by all means, feel free to organize a political movement to secede and be independent. I'm sure Russia would absolutely love it if you do that. Canada is friendlier and has more resources anyways...oh, and no Palins.
Yeah, it really doesn't matter/not a big deal. That's what I say... if you don't like it, mind your own. It's easy to hide in an online environment. I'll stop there I literally set up a profile, just to ask this question, and I got good responses from the normal folks. I took Russian in college, so I can fix that, too. J/k

Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Actually, most people who post regularly on this forum know exactly who others are in "real life," so I highly doubt that anyone's "hiding," but tell yourself whatever you need to.

This forum's basically a joke, and so is continuing to blame Alaskans for the existence of SP. It's passe; move on.

http://www.themudflats.net/?p=34356

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-05-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska