Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 01:09 PM

811 posts, read 1,305,091 times

Advertisements

Best of luck on your journey ..

On the East coast there are a lot of fishing jobs. If you are looking
to try it locally. There is crabbing, trawling, shrimping, pontooning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 02:06 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,885,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Yeah, but I snuck in at 18, so they didn't notice....
Right, but the TC said he was 29, so the Reserves would be his only option.

Good suggestion though and probably a good way to experience Alaska if you can get yourself assigned there.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 PM

127 posts, read 207,936 times
well i turn 29 on the 15th so technically i'm still 28. hence why i was going to enlist before i turned 29. all that mattered was sign up date. and i'm all about saving lives and good will and all but there are better people suited for the coast guard than me. i'm a rough neck, theres a farm out my front window, more then half my cloths are work cloths. i wanted the grunt life for a reason. i can deal rough conditions that others can't. i work for my uncle doing roofing siding and windows and he even said to me today. your the only one that will clime the 42' extension ladder, no one else will climb it. it makes scene to me cus i do crazy ****, that ladder is no joke. i do things for the life experience not to get paid well, but it helps

Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,990,128 times
My brother walked the docks in Dutch back in the day...like in the mid 80's and landed a good job eventually. He worked on several boats at the dock mending pots, coiling lines etc. he turned down a job on a scetchy boat with a scetchy skipper. That boat went down about four days into thier first trip...so be careful. He got a job on one of the "sea" boats as a 19 year old. He quit at 27 saying he was to old for the work.

So the opportunity is there. If you get on and work hard you will be able to keep working in other fisheries if you like.

If I were you I would try to find a cheap room rather than stay in a tent this time of year.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:00 AM

i'm hoping i can find someone renting a room because the inns are just way to much. i only really sleep for 4 or 5 hrs. so the rest of my time can be spent walking the docks and being where i need to be. boats come in all hrs of the night also so i wanna get to comfy. it's motivation to get work there. should show my potential employer i'm dedicated or crazy :P oh also whats this "You can't set your tent up without paying for admission on lands around town" starlite9? i can't go out in the tree line and set up a tent discreetly?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:17 AM

26,476 posts, read 36,301,263 times
I think there's maybe three trees in Dutch.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxboy99 View Post
i'm hoping i can find someone renting a room because the inns are just way to much. i only really sleep for 4 or 5 hrs. so the rest of my time can be spent walking the docks and being where i need to be. boats come in all hrs of the night also so i wanna get to comfy. it's motivation to get work there. should show my potential employer i'm dedicated or crazy :P oh also whats this "You can't set your tent up without paying for admission on lands around town" starlite9? i can't go out in the tree line and set up a tent discreetly?
Like trees with branches and stuff? Are you bringing those with you?

Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 AM

No trees. Some low brush. Maybe 6 feet high in the gullies.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:54 AM

What you need to realize about your tent camping is that winter in Dutch Harbor is like living in a permanent hurricane but with the temperatures hovering usually just below freezing. It is extreme in the extreme.

Just checked the weather forecast for Dutch. They are in the eye of hurricane right now. I'ts coming.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:23 AM

that's why i'd like to find a room to rent from someone. but till i do, i don't mind rough in a tent. i'll have the thermo sleeping bag. i'll be ok. i know its crazy up there, i think that might be why i'm headed there. if anyone has any info on rooming options or how to talk to boat captains, plz lmk. i'd like to increase my chances as best i can now ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska