Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,200 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I apologize in advance for yet another “want to work in Alaska” threads, however I have used the search function extensively, reached out to a few members via DM and just wanted to post here to see if there is additional information or pointers that may be useful. I am posting under an alias as my current employer is not and does not need to be aware of my aspirations

My background is in Marine Engineering, I have sailed on large commercial vessels for approximately 10 years growing into a Senior Engineering function and am currently employed in our corporate office. In my current function, which is mainly office/desk based, I am missing the hands-on aspect and dynamic operation of my previous shipboard career. Through a business contact with experience working on the pipeline back when they implemented their maintenance programs, I have become interested in a potential change of career with a specific focus on the Alyeska Pipeline Service Company as I feel that is mostly in line with my background. I have applied for several functions that I feel would reflect my background and experience, at this point unfortunately to no avail.

In an effort to get more specific information, my questions then are as follows:
How can I make myself more marketable towards recruiters? Are there any tips/hints to make a cover letter/resume more attractive for a specific oil/gas industry application? What are the main skills that companies such as Alyeska but also the other Slope companies are looking for?
Aside from expanding my network through this forum and LinkedIn, are there any further communities where I could potentially find additional contacts that could be helpful in my search?
Realistically, given the decreased production and throughput and layoffs a few years back, how likely is it that I would even get to an interview stage given my lack of specific oil/gas experience? I believe my experience could certainly be beneficial and I’m young and eager enough to learn new skills, but it would be nice to know if I’m chasing a pipe dream and there are hundreds of ex slope workers lined up for work
Anything else that could be beneficial, helpful contacts, recruitment agencies, etc.? DM’s more than welcome as is all other info!

Thanks in advance and I do hope this is not misconstrued as a “moving to Alaska because I’m broke/depressed/want to get rich/fill-in-the-blank” thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Download the pdf under the link "Hints & Tips" on this page:

Alyeska Pipeline - Employment - Job Opportunities

...and follow it to the letter, particularly the part about the sample cover letter. Also, I assume you are applying for the Preparedness Coordinator - Fishing Vessel Coordinator that is currently posted (the correct answer is yes). PM me if you have any questions.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:43 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,284,996 times
Having the right last name apparently helps. Or knowing people with the right last name. I know that doesn't help, but from a lot of stuff I hear that really does seem to have more to do with a lot of their hiring than absolute qualifications - at least over here. At the same time, they apparently do frequently hire people without the specific qualifications they say they're looking for, so by all means apply, but if you don't get a position don't take it too personally. The decision may well have had nothing to do with your qualifications.

Have you looked at opportunities with Crowley, too?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Download the pdf under the link "Hints & Tips" on this page:

Alyeska Pipeline - Employment - Job Opportunities

...and follow it to the letter, particularly the part about the sample cover letter. Also, I assume you are applying for the Preparedness Coordinator - Fishing Vessel Coordinator that is currently posted (the correct answer is yes). PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks so much for posting that link, great information. Sent a PM as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Having the right last name apparently helps. Or knowing people with the right last name. I know that doesn't help, but from a lot of stuff I hear that really does seem to have more to do with a lot of their hiring than absolute qualifications - at least over here. At the same time, they apparently do frequently hire people without the specific qualifications they say they're looking for, so by all means apply, but if you don't get a position don't take it too personally. The decision may well have had nothing to do with your qualifications.

Have you looked at opportunities with Crowley, too?
That's what I heard as well although I tend to take those reports with a small grain of salt.. I will continue to apply for those functions that I feel I would qualify for but I have thick skin so I can handle a few more rejections.
I know Crowley, however despite my marine background I do not hold a USCG license and that limits my opportunities on their fleet. Their assignments are also longer than what I would consider at this point (my main focus are on positions offering a 2/2 rotation or similar).
Thanks for the input!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM

Just bumping this for further information. Got another "not selected" message today so I'll wait until another suitable function is posted.
Moose, I am not too sure about the comment regarding the position of Preparedness Coordinator. Are you suggesting I apply even when the hiring criteria are not in line with my background and credentials?

On another note and as another potential option, does anybody have any information as to who operates (and staffs) the rigs operating in the Cook Inlet? Offshore rigs typicalle have a few positions on board for engine room operation/maintenance which is what I did in my previous life so that should be a good match as well if they're hiring.

Thanks again for any input, I realize there are numerous similar threads but I do appreciate the information!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
ConocoPhillips has one platform. Hilcorp Alaska LLC now owns 6 or 8 of them. Buccaneer has one jackup sitting in Homer they are prepping to put to work come spring.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
ConocoPhillips has one platform. Hilcorp Alaska LLC now owns 6 or 8 of them. Buccaneer has one jackup sitting in Homer they are prepping to put to work come spring.
Thanks Rance, that's great information and perhaps another route to pursue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska