Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:49 PM

127 posts, read 209,362 times

Advertisements

Hows everyone doing these days. Everyone still being over critical about spelling still :P hopefully everyone is enjoying their summers. So I'm the guy that was trying to head out to dutch for deckhand work and that's still that plan, well actually that has happened. I've been working as much as i can for the last 6 months and been also doing my research to find new working in the northwest fishing fleet somewhere. And i did just that with my persistence. I was able to land a job as a deckhand on a salmon tender scow and stationary barge for the summer. Its out of Deer Harbor Sitka and they run a 8-10 man operation. It's gonna be a solid 65-75 days of work on board and there gonna fly me in from Seattle i just have to get to Seattle from NY. My boss's name is Hans and his daughters name is Amber she works the boat. I anyone has any info on the area and or about the people let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 12:13 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
That's good news. You could do worse than this gig.

You're going to get rained on in Sitka and the seas are going to be rough; Unlike the rest of SE Alaska, Sitka's on the open ocean. It'll be good practice for when you get to Dutch.

I think this processor does mostly pinks, so you should be busy.

Sitka's a beautiful area; green and clean.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That's good news. You could do worse than this gig.

You're going to get rained on in Sitka and the seas are going to be rough; Unlike the rest of SE Alaska, Sitka's on the open ocean. It'll be good practice for when you get to Dutch.

I think this processor does mostly pinks, so you should be busy.

Sitka's a beautiful area; green and clean.
Is that what a salmon tender boat is? I really don't care cus it gets me up there and getting experience and making connections. sitka gets a lil choppy huh, sounds like fun. i'll be out for 65-75 days on the water so it should be interesting. Any tips on things to pack anyone???

Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxboy99 View Post
Any tips on things to pack anyone???
75 days worth of dramamine

Old 06-07-2013, 07:48 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
This ^^^

Couple days of creating your own chum; couple days of dry heaves. You'll be fine.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:49 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,515,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
What about a bucket you can strap to your kneck? Ohh wait. Open ocean, never mind.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Don't worry about it. This will be a good introduction to fishing. Yes, you might get seasick, most fishermen do. 65-75 hours a week is actually about right. A crabber will work longer hours than that and salmon fishermen do as well when the fish are in. It will be good. Glad you got a job.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:35 AM

305 posts, read 682,795 times
I ran a buying station in southeast, enjoyed it immensely. Hope you have a good cook who bakes a lot. :-)

Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
Don't worry about it. This will be a good introduction to fishing. Yes, you might get seasick, most fishermen do. 65-75 hours a week is actually about right. A crabber will work longer hours than that and salmon fishermen do as well when the fish are in. It will be good. Glad you got a job.
That number is that days i'll be out, 65-75 days, not hrs. and quick acting sea sick something or other meds?? never mine i googled dramamine , thx guys lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
I ran a buying station in southeast, enjoyed it immensely. Hope you have a good cook who bakes a lot. :-)
So a salmon tender boat is buying selling station for? Whats the work like? Cutting, gutting, sorting, ice stack um ?

Old 06-07-2013, 08:00 PM

researched it, i'm gonna be working on the Deer Harbor II. I leave NY the 20th and land in Seattle where I'm staying overnight. Then in the am i leave for Wrangell Alaska where i meet my boss Hans. It's gonna take us like a week to get the boot together and then we're off to Petersburg, Juneau, Pelican, and Sitka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska