Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
I mostly agree. A few points though.
  1. IMO, HB24A doesn't go far enough. Alaska still remains a Defense of Life only State, not Life & Property like others such as Texas or Florida. Even with the changes of the bill, one still must prove that one was under "imment fear of death or serious injury" from someone "with a dangerous weapon" before you can legally waste a scumbag who has broken into your house. In a DL&P State this isn't necessary and helps to protect the homeowner from over zealous prosecution and civil lawsuits.
  2. I personally agree with the part about having CCW Training however. Right now, an ACHP holder still can't carry on school grounds without permission. In fact, I believe that Alaska should require CCW training to carry concealed. There are many clowns that simply shouldn't carry a gun because they are are hazard to themselves and others. CCW Training is the best way to weed out these fools.
  3. I extend this reasoning to other areas in life as well - most notably voting and driving. Allowing your average moron to vote and drive simply because they can fog a mirror has led to a disasterous status quo on our roads and in Washgnton DC.
Always remember this is a "State of Mind" issue. If you attack me with a steak knife I'd be in imment fear of death or serious injury. Sorry but I don't have a good steak knife pic to illustrate my point.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 01:12 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
There are TWO parts to the statute:

Imminent fear of serious bodily injury, death, or permanent disfigurement to one's self or a third party by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument.

Obviously, if someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night it's reasonable to assume that any rational homeowner would be in imminent fear of serious bodily injury or death meeting the first part of the statute. However, if the perp isn't actually carrying a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument and you waste him anyway, you are in violation and in jeopardy of legal and/or civil liability. In a DL&P state, the second clause is removed so deadly force can be used against anyone unlawfully on your property.

Now, I am not advocating shooting unarmed individuals. However the Alaska statute places home owners at unnecessary risk (IMO) for defending themselves on their property.

This is why Alaska (surprisingly) isn't always ranked high on surveys of gun friendly states. True that Alaska:
  1. Has no permit requirement for open or concealed carry
  2. Is a "shall issue" CCW Permit State.
However, Alaska also:
  1. Is a "defense of life" only State as described above.
  2. Has a duty to retreat.
  3. Charges darn near $100 for CCW Permit ($91.50 to be exact), one of the highest in the country.
In the end though I agree with Glitch, at least HB24A addresses a big part of the problem and is better than nothing. Maybe we can get the rest changed in the next legislative session.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times
We need to stand up for our rights.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:51 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Always remember this is a "State of Mind" issue. If you attack me with a steak knife I'd be in imment fear of death or serious injury. Sorry but I don't have a good steak knife pic to illustrate my point.
Ok, a bit off topic, but now that is still a funny photo of an idiot that more than likely gets himself into a pickle with that tattooed on his chest and I would bet a dime he back talks whomever parked the knife in his snot locker.... Seems more than one person was taking photos of him as well!

Bet it hurts just the same though! Since it the tattoos are all one color, I would bet they are done in prison, which is the norm for that type of "artwork".

Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Ok, a bit off topic, but now that is still a funny photo of an idiot that more than likely gets himself into a pickle with that tattooed on his chest and I would bet a dime he back talks whomever parked the knife in his snot locker.... Seems more than one person was taking photos of him as well!

Bet it hurts just the same though! Since it the tattoos are all one color, I would bet they are done in prison, which is the norm for that type of "artwork".
I was thinking about getting "BULLETPROOF" put on my neck but after seeing this I think not.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Alaska's contradiction? Lots of guns, few homicides | Alaska Dispatch

Quote:
Can someone familiar with the country's latest gun-control debate explain Alaska to me?

This is a gun-crazy state. Guns are everywhere. About 58 percent of Alaskans own a gun, according to the Washington Post. Given that the U.S. Census says the average household size in the 49th state is 2.65 people, there is, on average, 1.53 guns per household.

Or to make this simple, there is basically a gun in every house.

And yet, the Alaska homicide rate for 2011, the latest year for which figures are available, was 4 per 100,000 people. That's significantly lower than the 6.4 per 100,000 people for New York City, where Mayor Michael Bloomberg likes to brag about how many guns the New York Police Department has taken away from the citizenry, and about a fifth of the homicide rate for Chicago (19.4 per 100,000), a city with stringent gun control that has been labeled the world's "Deadliest Global City."

Old 03-17-2013, 06:07 PM

If I am reading this correctly, HB24 is finally out of committee and going to the floor for debate.

Bill History/Action for 28th Legislature

Old 04-13-2013, 01:05 AM

HB 24 passed!

Self-Defense Bill Clears Alaska Legislature - ktuu.com

Old 04-13-2013, 04:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Outstanding!

That is one more step in the right direction. Now if we can just get the university to abide by State law and the State Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: