Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 01:22 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
By chance did you get a Logitech web cam? A friend talked me into getting one, I have to admit I really enjoy using it, epsecially when you can chat with someone across the country and be able to see their expressions and jestures.
Nope, I got the least expensive thing I saw and have no idea who it's by. Wait, lets see....Well, it says something about microsoft lifecam???? Whatever, as long as it works. I guess I'll install it tomorrow and let ya know.

Xa'at I think we're all safe from me doing dirty webcasts but a rant??? now that has possibilities!!

Haven't read your story yet but when I do, I'll let you know!! Thanks for posting another one!

Old 11-04-2007, 04:31 AM

24 posts, read 92,026 times
Great stories Xa'at, can't wait for more.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:47 PM

Lightbulb Absolutely Fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Too bad. Deep and Depressing is all I have!
'Nee way, I dug this up. It's from the same story, but a different narrator, as you can probably tell.

Life isn’t fair. It may sound clichéd but it’s true. Some people live their entire lives just struggling to get by while others are hotel heiresses who inherit the world at birth and whose biggest crisis is a lack of matching shoes. Some people meet their soulmate and have seven kids while others roam the earth just trying to find her, never knowing that that one special person died in a car accident as a teenager. Some people climb Denali and get to see the top of the world, some don’t get to see any of the world. Period.

I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately, and I’ve decided the only thing that is fair is death. Think about it. The stragglers and the disturbingly rich, the happily married and the disillusioned, the intrepid hikers and the blind… perhaps the only thing we have in common is that our lives all end the same way. We all die, sometime.

I remember a commercial I saw a while back, for dial-up internet. Of course, there’s really no excuse for having dial-up these days- even in the remotest of places are reachable by satellite, but this dial-up company makes their money selling dial-up, not satellite, so they make excuses.

All internet companies take you to the same internet, so why pay more?

All walks of life lead you to the same death, it’s true. It may look a little different for different people, but it’s still the same death.

The irony here, of course, is that the only real difference between dial-up and others is that dial-up gets you to that internet at a snail’s pace in comparison. I guess the same is true with life and death. Some lives are inevitably going to take you to death earlier. Heroin addicted hobos are obviously going to get to the death part faster than your average clean person with an apartment who maybe smokes occasionally. Your average clean person is probably going to get to the death part faster than, say, a health food nut.

Of course, this doesn’t take into account freak accidents, malaria, and sports fans. But generally, I think that our choices do factor into how long it is before we head to the big nuthouse in the sky.

The thing is, once we get there, we’re all equal. I don’t think that there’s a life after death. After we die, we just kind of twinkle then fizzle out of existence like a shooting star. And that happens to everyone. No matter how rich you are, money can’t help you now. You get stuck with all the rest of us, the rabble of the Earth. You are the rabble of the Earth. And it doesn’t matter that the nation or world might mourn your death, erect statues, even hold long hearings regarding exactly which country music star is the biological father of your cocaine-addled toddler. None of that matters because you’re dead. If grief and wishes alone could bring someone back from the brink, Abraham Lincoln would still be president, you could still find Steve Irwin taking down crocs on Animal Planet every week, and the split second on the freeway that it took to ruin my life would be as a distant dream.

But of course it doesn’t work that way. Why should it? My mother once told me "no one ever said life was going to be fair." I had no idea how right she was until now.
Xa'at, another wonderful piece of writing! You really are good. It's not so much dark as ...I don't know maybe it's just that no one wants to think a bout death so if you bring it up folks get nervous. But anyway, I think the piece makes you think and I liked it.

Of course, I like to think that this is just a part of the journey and we go on to something else. Better or worse it depends on what you do here. If that is the case then maybe what you have and do here does count.

Okay, enough of that. Anyhow, Kudos to you once again.

Last edited by GoddessofRandomThoughts; 11-04-2007 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Spelling, spelling, spelling

Old 11-04-2007, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 14,044 times
Default better late than never,,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Thank goodness the internet doesn't require a photo ID, or we'd all be in trouble from time to time, wouldn't we?

However, in the spirit of international cooperation, peace towards all mankind, brotherly love and all that crap, here goes.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
BUT I LOVE A MAN WITH A MASK ON

Old 11-04-2007, 08:36 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
Thanks! I don't really know what I believe about life after death... I'm certainly more optimistic than my character, though!

p.s. Your next post is your thousandth, goddess! Make it worthwhile!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:44 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Six more to the magic number Xa'at....

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 PM

Talking 1000! Yeeha!!

Thanks Xa'at I had no idea this was my 1000th post. WheeeeHoooo!!!
Guess I should celebrate and who else would I want to celebrate with but you guys!

I also have a friend here at home to celebrate with...
Don't you love these deep thought provoking posts??
http://cdnll.users1.imagechef.com/ic/stored/users_106/533342/anmf40cd33117f33988.gif (broken link)

Old 11-04-2007, 09:58 PM

Well, unfortunately I have nothing deep or moving to say for the occasion... other than...

Oooga booga!!

Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Well, unfortunately I have nothing deep or moving to say for the occasion... other than...

Oooga booga!!

You have obviously been working much too hard!! Here's a thought for you...

Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 PM

I always work much too hard. I'm taking 6 credits and working 30 hours a week, and I'm still bored out of my mind!
I made myself a fake "super cinammon bagel" today. It wasn't as good as Silverbow, but it was at least okay. Now for one of Heritage's cheese danishes and maybe a pain au chocolat from Paradise Bakery...
Sigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska