Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2007, 11:49 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
37 and never tried the stuff. Don't care for drugs and alcohol, a choice I made many years ago growing up. I didn't want to be like my parents, drunk and out all night when we were growing up. Stuck to my word all these years later.
Warptman,

Ever have a spoonful of NyQuil?

Alchohol and, (wait for it), cannibinoids.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:54 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Oh, User 2... Your logic is sound, but your sense of tact leaves something to be desired...
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Your opinion could cause needless suffering and death.
First of all, this is completely untrue. Glitch and I go 'round and 'round, because we're really diametrically opposed politics-wise, but I would never say his (her?) opinion could cause needless suffering or death. Even if he were to vote against the legalization of medical marijuana, that would be one person voting against it, among millions of voters. That's even assuming he votes against it, maybe he really doesn't care that much and was just sharing his opinion. Welcome to America- where we can say whatever the hell we want and not face prosecution, unless of course we say that we are carrying a liquid on an airplane.
Chill out, all ready. And for goodness sake, leave Warpt alone. His intentions are quite noble, methinks.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:35 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,963 times
Default who's steering this thread anyway?

How is it that this forums threads go off the tracks so often? Not that it's not uninteresting, of course, but it's almost Kurt Vonnegut-style stream of conciousness at times. We start out talking about something like the cost of milk and end up talking about clear-cut logging or something almost totally unrelated.

In any case, it's good to see that I'm not the only one out there with a brain that keeps wandering off when I'm not looking.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Keep turning right, eventually you will come full circle.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:44 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,047,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Oh, User 2... Your logic is sound,
Thank you, I know.

And since the logic is sound, don't say in the next sentence that it's untrue.

Quote:
First of all, this is completely untrue.
Ah, there you have it. A perfect example of that tact, you speak of.

Quote:
I would never say his (her?) opinion could cause [i]needless suffering or death.
That's irrelevant, what you would say or not say would not change the accuracy of the statement.

People holding opinions based on falsehoods act on those ill founded opinions and make decisions, like voting, that have very bad consequences.

There's too much historical data to even attempt to refute that, so it's a moot point to argue otherwise.

Yes, one person having an opinion based on falsehoods would probably not be as dangerous as many people having one.

But it's a simple error, and illogical, to think that even one can't be damaging.

It's all well and good to think that everything should be discussed as hypothetical, but we live in a real world and wrong opinions not based on fact do injure and kill every day.

Quote:
we can say whatever the hell we want
To a point, you can. Try exercising that opinion in the wrong place and the wrong time, say the wrong thing, and there will be consequences.

You can say it, you do have a First Amendment right, but just as with the First Amendment, there are limitations.

Again the absolutist conversation involving hypotheticals tells you that you can say anything you want. Unless you're denying the reality, you know that's not true in all cases.

You can have whatever opinion you want too. That won't make them any more correct, true, logical, or whatever, it's a purely subjective opinion at that point.

To have an objective view, one must weigh one's opinion against reality.

And Xa'at, you can't see me when I type these messages, so how you choose to judge them as far as tact, or whether I'm living up to some standard you wish to set for me is pure conjecture.

In the future, I'd appreciate you not forming an opinion based on little more than your subjective reasoning to tell me how I ought to act. You just may be mistconstueing what you only thought you saw. Accusations without being sure of another's intent can have a nasty habit of backfiring.

Thanks, I'll extend the same courtesy to you.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:50 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Two things, first, sound logic and truth are/can be mutually exclusive items and, the worst thing I ever did under the influence of the "noble weed" was go grocery shopping. Since I am virtually omnivorous and like almost eveything, while stoned I got over $300 worth of groceries, everything looked so good. I never went grocery shopping stoned again. Pot is normally not known as a "violent" drug, Quaaludes on the other hand.......

Old 11-18-2007, 03:11 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User 2 View Post
Thanks, I'll extend the same courtesy to you.
Your apparent command of the English language fails to impress me. There is not much that miffs me more than a person who types out a long string of bs and uses words long enough to make a school teacher dizzy so as to make it appear that their opinion is the correct one.
It is called sophistry, and I thought I was the master. However, I will gladly hand over the crown. I was growing tired of it anyway.
You have not extended any courtesy to any of us in your time here, and if you really are starting now, then I will eat my hat.

Old 11-18-2007, 04:43 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down..................
3 beers work for me..................

Old 11-18-2007, 04:47 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,764 times
Quote:
Your apparent command of the English language fails to impress me. There is not much that miffs me more than a person who types out a long string of bs and uses words long enough to make a school teacher dizzy so as to make it appear that their opinion is the correct one.
It is called sophistry, and I thought I was the master. However, I will gladly hand over the crown. I was growing tired of it anyway.
You have not extended any courtesy to any of us in your time here, and if you really are starting now, then I will eat my hat.
he/she is kinda of irratating, isn't "they".
as far as i'm concerned, we have no real name or location. so it's a non-issue.
what sucks about it, the really decent coments and constructive advice is nulled out by this persons "superior attitude" and condencending attitude.
total shame......

Old 11-18-2007, 05:06 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,268 times
Talking It's Official!!

Yep!
It is official.
I am nuts, insane, bonkers, crackers, a few fries short of a happy meal!!
If they find me and put me away, hopefully I'll be able to keep the laptop and communicate with the outside world.

Does CD actually count as the outside world?
(no it isn't, temp insanity day, that is)

Last edited by GoddessofRandomThoughts; 11-18-2007 at 06:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska