Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:57 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,245 times

Advertisements

Alaska is a big and diverse state. The complaint I hear from many Bush-Alaska teachers is that there is very little community support of the schools and the people in the villages are racist towards the teachers. I have seen this racism (or small mindedness) go both ways. One mistake new teachers make is not getting out and getting involved in the community, in spite of those who discourage it.

As for the pay, $40,000 or $50,000 may seem like a lot to one who is living in Anchorage but the villages are very different and much more expensive. One visit to the bush does not make you an expert on this subject. Teaching in Anchorage, or Fairbanks for that matter, is not so different than teaching in the lower 48. Teaching in a village cannot be easily put into words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 05:19 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
Alaska is a big and diverse state. The complaint I hear from many Bush-Alaska teachers is that there is very little community support of the schools and the people in the villages are racist towards the teachers. I have seen this racism (or small mindedness) go both ways. One mistake new teachers make is not getting out and getting involved in the community, in spite of those who discourage it.

As for the pay, $40,000 or $50,000 may seem like a lot to one who is living in Anchorage but the villages are very different and much more expensive. One visit to the bush does not make you an expert on this subject. Teaching in Anchorage, or Fairbanks for that matter, is not so different than teaching in the lower 48. Teaching in a village cannot be easily put into words.
And yes, 50K is NOTHING in the Bush. It is VERY expensive there. You have to remember that if you want to get your teeth cleaned, that's a plane ride into town. I worked in an educational setting, and it was a joke that a year in the Bush sent most of the teachers running back to the states ...

Old 12-30-2007, 05:27 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
You just have to keep an open mind while living out here. Sure, things are expensive but if you plan it out right, you can live out here. Never let a post or two on the horrors out here scare you away. They have a one year contract, try it for a year and see if you like it or not. A lot of teachers leave after the first year because they either burned bridges or tried changing the way people live out here.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:35 AM

17 posts, read 56,368 times
I taught in Cordova AK for one year, and LOVED IT! I would still be there, but we had a family emergency and we had to move back to NC. But now that everything is settling down, we are in the process of making our plans to move back for good. Teaching in AK (bush or the city) it doesn't matter. You just have to remember, you are the new person, you are the one that has to fit in. So many teachers go to AK to "educate the poor natives"! With that attitude no wonder they run back to the lower 48! I and my family were welcomed with open arms, made some wonderful life long friends and can't wait till we are back! My philosophy in any new teaching job is that YOU have to prove your self not the other way around, and you have 2 ears and 1 mouth, so listen more than you talk!! If you can get the parents on your side and get their trust you have won the battle, especially when you are a Special Education teacher (like me).

Dreamers

Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Default 24 new PE positions!!

Eureka! This would be THE year, 2008-09, for a PE teacher to get a foot in the door in Anchorage with ASD! Anchorage is opening up 24 new PE positions this coming year to provide more physical ed for students & to provide more planning time for teachers, as per new contract. There was even a shortage of a few PE teachers the beginning of this year. So you may be able to do a simple phone interview to get on for one of these newly created positions for next year.

I am an ASD teacher & love teaching in Anchorage. I love Anchorage since I can ski, hike & bike out my back door onto miles of groomed ski trails & hiking trails. ASD treats us very well. We teach in a very diversified district with 90 languages spoken in the homes of our students. The commute anywhere in town to schools is short.

As someone else may have said, I think starting pay for just a BA will be around $41K.

With a secure job in Anchorage you could then get a feel for the rest of Alaska. It takes a while to get the lay of the land, so to speak.

My recommendation is that you apply for an Alaska teaching certificate through Juneau Dept. of Education as soon as possible. There may still be a required Alaskan history/culture class that you can take via distance ed.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
My recommendation is that you apply for an Alaska teaching certificate through Juneau Dept. of Education as soon as possible. There may still be a required Alaskan history/culture class that you can take via distance ed.
I wonder if that class is through the University of AK Southeast? UAS has several excellent education programs, but overall I've not been impressed with distance ed. The teachers are great, but the functionality of the technology itself hasn't really caught up with the idea. Without perfectly functioning, uninterrupted broadband internet (which admittedly is probably easier to come by back east) the audio feeds are difficult to understand at times and the program crashes constantly. Add in the fact that email (the conduit from you to the teacher for turning in papers) is notoriously unreliable and it makes for a very frustrating experience...

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Default courses

EED - Teacher Certification

The 2 courses are still required as of now. The reason to take them distance ed. is that the applicant can come to Alaska with an Alaskan teaching certificate in hand, which not only makes one more marketable, but make the transition easier with all the extensive paperwork completed & license in hand.

When I took the classes distance ed. years ago it entailed watching a video or 2, reading a couple of books, & writing reaction papers to the materials. Yes, it was U of A SE.

One course is Alaska Hx; the other Multicultural Ed, mainly Native cultures in Alaska.

There are links to the required courses on the above district website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska