Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:55 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,681,188 times

Advertisements

Many of the cabins on west side cook inlet use the 4x8 sheet of plywood and nails. Placed under every window spot, and at any doors. Seems to work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 PM

20,251 posts, read 36,945,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Many of the cabins on west side cook inlet use the 4x8 sheet of plywood and nails. Placed under every window spot, and at any doors. Seems to work well.
Yes, that what has been used by people for many years.
--------------------------
And about food smells left behind as told my other posters: there is no way for one to keep such smells from bears unless one can put the whole cabin inside an airtight enclosure Some bears associate even gasoline with food.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 PM

404 posts, read 748,248 times
If they want in they will get in! "If you know what a bear is going to do next you know more than the bear does!" Hal Waugh.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:47 PM

20,251 posts, read 36,945,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
If they want in they will get in! "If you know what a bear is going to do next you know more than the bear does!" Hal Waugh.
That's true.

About a week or more prior to moose season my hunting partners and I set-up three large tents at our campsite, and then return home leaving the tents unattended for over a week. The whole area is crisscrossed by bear and moose trails, but so far we haven't had bear problems except for one time. This happened years ago. A couple of black bears raided our campsite, and chewed through three or four action packs that were filled with dehydrated and other dry foods. The funny thing is that they raided our campsite on the first day of moose season while we were a few hundred yards away from the tents

We built a cache on the trees and stored the food in it. But we had to chase after the bears on our ATV's to scare them away from the campsite. The bears never returned after that. But from that time on we leave a radio in each tent tuned to one of the local AM stations. No idea if Rush, Laura Ingraham, Savage, and Coast to Coast keep the bears away from our campsite, but so far so good

Old 04-12-2013, 07:55 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,409,372 times
Bear Off.

Couldn't you put ammonia filled balloons around the entry worked for us but I am sure you have more of them up there.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 AM

355 posts, read 504,763 times
Do what I do! Hire Chuck Norris with a bb gun! 70%of the time it works every time.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:14 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,493,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Hivernant View Post
Put up an electric wire type fence around the cabin (same type use to contain horses) with a battery powered electric fence charger. Works GREAT!
That works about once... You'll find it a few hundred yards away (if lucky) when the bear got tangled up in it and ran off with it... Moose do the same thing.

All the boards with nails and heavy shutters works to a point, but like someone said, if the bear wants in, he will get in. They are like kids, they will stick a claw in a little crack and ending up ripping an entire back wall out.

Biggest thing is not to have garbage around or major food smells coming out of the cabin. They aren't keen on mothballs, for years I would throw them around my cabin during the summer when I was out and never had bear issues.... Mostly I had snow machiner's issues that don't respect private property and would break in, but found remote trail cameras worked wonders at tracking them down to pay for the damages... Scared the hell out of them too.

But no proof that the mothballs work, but the bears left my cabin alone but did damage others in the area. I had just a normal door and windows and the bears never gave them a second thought!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska