Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM

26,506 posts, read 36,360,007 times

Advertisements

There's only one problem that I can see with doing that, Marty, and that's that housing over there is through the roof. What good would it do for an idjit to find work there if the only place they can find to live costs over 3K a month? I heard they're building more man camps, though, which should help with the housing shortage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 03:52 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,468,165 times
I drove through North Dakota this past summer - it was crazy busy. The Wal-Mart parking lot looked like a refugee center.

23 yr. old, single, and the ability to live in either a man camp or a small RV - and I could see it working out. Keep your expenses low and bank as much as you can... Problem is that when the oil boom goes and you are 45 - what do you do for work then? Hopefully you will be smart enough to get certifications and build a resume. Or you made enough and banked money to retire as a millionaire at 45.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:40 PM

2,519 posts, read 6,996,827 times
If I were 22, single, and looking for work I would get me a mini van or a pickup with a shell and head for N Dakota. I would live in my van until winter hits and hope to find shelter by then. Lots of work there....lots. There are 22 year old kids there making more than $100K a year. They are also working 70+ hours a week. No time for fun, no time for social life...just work.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,468,165 times
Marty - That is the age to do that... Your body can take it. It will also help set yourself up for later. Plus with all the work no time to get into too much trouble. The key is not to 'blow' it all...

Old 04-18-2013, 06:18 AM

6 posts, read 6,861 times
I've heard of north dakota. that was my first choice. I heard it was "booming". I was gonna work in the oil field. but I also found out that you don't just show up there and get a job. They preferably hire people with experience but I have none. another thing I heard was that It's absolutely freezing down there. and the last thing is, I don't have a car and I hear the prices of apartments and hotels are ridiculously high.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM

26,506 posts, read 36,360,007 times
If some of you will read the ND forum as well as some of the publications specific to that area, you'll see that just showing up there might not be such a great idea. It seems that even finding a place to park your vehicle to sleep in is pretty tough, if not impossible. Shelters and churches are full of people sleeping on the floor, local residents are becoming more resentful by the day because they see people parking and sleeping in their neighborhoods -- I'm glad the OP thought it through rather than just heading out there.

I remember when people "just showed up" on POW because they heard there was work there. God was that a mess, people living by the side of the road and all sorts of crap. I wouldn't advise anyone to do that.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-18-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 PM

6 posts, read 6,861 times
yep. I always do my research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska