Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 10,678 times

Advertisements

Currently my boyfriend and I are considering a move to Juneau from Nebraska within a month or so. He is a banker with Wells Fargo and is considering transferring to Juneau. I am a dental hygienist but can not be licensed in Alaska until this summer. Few things I am curious about.

1. Are there many Dentists in the Juneau and the surrounding area, if so do they have positions open for dental assistants or dental hygienists very often?

2. Where are some good places to look for rental properties or apartments. I don't want to be in a dump, but I don't expect luxury. We are looking for a 2-bedroom in the 1000.00 range. Where are the best areas to look, worst areas to look, most affordable, most expensive, etc?

3. The Wells Fargo is in Lemon Creek, is that an ok area to be in?

4. How is the crime rate in Juneau?

5. How are the people in Juneau, laid back, friendly....???

6. For two people to live there and probably be flying back to the lower 48 a few times a year, both have student loans, car loans, etc., what would do you think a gross income a year to live comfortably should be? $70K, $80K?

7. Both of us grew up in the country, so we are used to the outdoors. But, are people around there helpful with fishing, hiking, etc. tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 10:27 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,244,635 times
Yes there are dentists and I"ve seen positions for hygenists, but I wouldn't imagine very often.

Forget 2 bedroom for 1000. Think more 1 bedroom for that amount, if you're lucky. Look in the valley area for rentals. Craigslist, Juneau empire.

I used to go to the WF in Lemon Creek. It is Okay. Not too far from the airport. Just don't live in Lemon Creek.

Crime in Juneau is piddly---not to worry.

People laid back, friendly, yes.

Remember Juneau is off the road system so it costs $$$ to get in and get out. Alaska Airlines is the only game in town, so be prepared to pay through the nose to fly to the lower 48. Even trips to Seattle are expensive at times. I would think 70-80K would be fine, so long as you budget with your debt etc. Double your grocery bill.

Be friendly and receptive of the locals. Ask and keep an open mind and be willing to learn and not change the way things are done to mirror the outside (lesser 48) and you should be fine.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska View Post
1. Are there many Dentists in the Juneau and the surrounding area, if so do they have positions open for dental assistants or dental hygienists very often?
I would assume Juneau has the same amount of dentists as similarly sized communities in the L-48. The job market is good right now, so I bet you could get a job. I do happen to know that there is a dentist aptly named Dr. Molar out in the valley.

Quote:
2. Where are some good places to look for rental properties or apartments. I don't want to be in a dump, but I don't expect luxury. We are looking for a 2-bedroom in the 1000.00 range. Where are the best areas to look, worst areas to look, most affordable, most expensive, etc?
Hah! Not likely. There are some nice apartments downtown, out in Auke Bay, and in the valley. I'd look in the valley first, just because that's where prices are lower.

Quote:
3. The Wells Fargo is in Lemon Creek, is that an ok area to be in?
It's kind of commercial- I'm not sure I'd want to live there but working there wouldn't be a big deal. The prison is there, but once again not a big deal. It's kind of tucked away where you can't really see it.

Quote:
4. How is the crime rate in Juneau?
Negligible. As a young woman I wouldn't be afraid to walk around downtown at night alone.

Quote:
5. How are the people in Juneau, laid back, friendly....???
Generally, all of the above. We're good people.

Quote:
7. Both of us grew up in the country, so we are used to the outdoors. But, are people around there helpful with fishing, hiking, etc. tips?
Yes, sure. As has been said, don't try to import your L-48 mentalities and you will be just fine.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:40 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,523 times
Unless it's a trailer, forget 2 bedroom for 1000.00. You may find something on Douglas in that price range, but keep an open mind.
NEVER RENT ANYTHING IN JUNEAU SIGHT-UNSEEN!
Call the Breakwater Inn and check on an extended stay room. Then look when you get here. Winter's coming and there are a few rentals available. The best ones are by word-of-mouth and don't stay vacant long.
The folks here are laid-back and friendly, but distant at first. The transient nature of Juneau makes it difficult to make friends outside of your work-place at first. Just keep an open mind as advised.
As far as the crime rate goes, Juneau is the capital so most of the criminals are employed. Other than that, it's really pretty quiet unless you go out looking for trouble.
$70K should work fine. You'll see there are less places to blow your money than you're probably used too.
Enjoy Juneau for what it is, we have interesting times going on right now.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:44 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,803,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Negligible. As a young woman I wouldn't be afraid to walk around downtown at night alone.
No offense meant but I believe that's not entirely good advice. Franklin and Front Street area is still pretty interesting at times.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 PM

295 posts, read 659,211 times
"As far as the crime rate goes, Juneau is the capital so most of the criminals are employed."

LOL!!

Last edited by expdxer; 10-30-2007 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: to add quotes

Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
I see that a good portion of our Juneau criminals are being sought after by the FBI and the courts

Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
No offense meant but I believe that's not entirely good advice. Franklin and Front Street area is still pretty interesting at times.
No offense taken! You are, of course, right. I'd take mace with me, along with a plastic bottle of beer so if someone comes at me I could throw it and they'd go chase it, affording me time to escape!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I see that a good portion of our Juneau criminals are being sought after by the FBI and the courts
Not enough of them, though...

Old 10-31-2007, 07:24 AM

3 posts, read 10,678 times
Is the walmart still hiring there? What do you think the wages are there to start out with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska