Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
By the way, I'm fairly certain that those who are bawling the biggest rivers of blues about the cartoon in question have shared more than a laugh or two over particular cartoons posted on World Nut Daily that weren't exactly warm and fuzzy.

You fing idjits need to get past the cartoons.
Can you post a link to the cartoons you are referring to?

Besides, it's not the cartoon some of us have complained, but about a newspaper. Look at the original post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 11:20 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
I'm not sure if the gunatics in the crowd understand that the Department of Homeland Security was created to satisfy George the Lesser and fat boy Cheney after 9/11 which was the cause of the death of almost 3000 people. The production, transport, possession, sale and in general the use of ammonium nitrate (NH4NO3) in all its forms was placed under the Department of Homeland Security. Ammonium Nitrate is made from NH3 which is Ammonia and HNO3 which is Nitric Acid. In order to get the chemical reaction to work it is necessary to mix in some H2O which is common drinking water. The less water you mix in it the greater the explosive power the mixture has. When the debate to create The Department of Homeland Security was taking place the argument was only Anhydrous Ammonium Nitrate (Meaning that which has had the water removed.) was an explosive capable of being used by Terrorists. There was mention that housewives used ammonia as a household cleaner and there had never been an explosion using it. The liquid NH4NO3H2o wasn't viewed by the chemical industry as being of much interest so in that form it isn't necessary to be watched over by the people who are supposed to find the terrorists among us. So the turkeys who make you take your shoes off at the airport and feel you up when they get the chance are also supposed to watch over the supply of urea nitrate. In the Congressional debate it was pointed out that urea had never been subject to much inspection so it was not given a high priority. Think about that because some of you probably know what urea is; you come in contact with it every day. So it wasn't really dangerous and we didn't inspect diapers which are frequently loaded with urea. I'm not going to say Texans don't know what is going on but the rational for not checking the WEST, Texas Chemical Plant within living memory was because no one in the Department of Homeland Security or government of Texas knew what was being discussed. It is for sure that the chemical industry spokespeople didn't enlighten those elected officials who swore to protect the citizens of Texas. The explosive velocity of Ammonium Nitrate is about 5270 m/p/s which isn't very high on the explosive rating charts. Trinitrotoluene is 6900 m/p/s which is sufficient to cut steel. One is a heaving explosive while the other is a shattering explosive. Now I'd be willing to stand alongside Moose while he mauled TNT with a hammer pounding it to dust. But put a bucket of urea nitrate out there and I'd want to be in the next county and if I have the time the next State. We all know what happens when you try to burn 5000 tons of urea because it made kindling out of the retirement home Texas allowed to exist across the street from where it was stored. It was there because nothing was known by the State authorities. Put it another way if that tonnage was buried inside the hill Moose lives on he might have been able to get to Canada for free. So our Congress decided Homeland Security didn't need to check up on the place that made what had blown up in Texas City, Oklahoma City, or many other places until the water was removed. Maybe we do need Government Regulation. Sounds a lot safer than listening to Moose complain about cartoons.
Maybe this forum's government can create a new law to perform a background check on Mr. Moose for stating his views of the ADN?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:33 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Yep, definitely lead in the wine there in FBs.

Ray, Moose has every right to state his opinion of the ADN, but he did rather misrepresent the whole thing by inferring that the letter written by the Texass governor was directed at the ADN rather than the Sacramento Bee.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-28-2013 at 11:55 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 12:02 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Quote:
By the way, I'm fairly certain that those who are bawling the biggest rivers of blues about the cartoon in question have shared more than a laugh or two over particular cartoons posted on World Nut Daily that weren't exactly warm and fuzzy.

You fing idjits need to get past the cartoons.
No, we are simply giving the left a taste of their own medicine. For example, when that cartoon of Obama with a bone through his nose (which is quite funny btw) came out during the Obama care fiasco, the left went absolutely ballistic (which was also quite amusing to watch as well). Now, those same self-proclaimed standard-bearers of media appropriateness are utterly silent. Hippocrites all.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 AM

I didn't see the cartoon that you mentioned, but then, political cartoons aren't really on my radar. I do think, Moose, that you're still so entrenched in the us. vs. them mentality that the Koch brothers spoon fed you a couple of years ago that you can't see anything beyond the latest fabricated diversion.

I guess that the far right and the far left can continue to make faces at each other over the fence while the rest of us get on with things. Personally, I think that both extremes are fairly ridiculous and that are both motivated by money.

A simple mandatory yearly inspection might have made a difference here. For me, that's just good business rather than being a part of someone's "political agenda." Although the idea of everyone being capable of exercising "personal responsibility" for the greater good of society is a captivating idea, it's just a lovely image that absolutely melts in the cold hard light of reality. It doesn't work and never has. People give one hell of a lot of lip service to catch -words such as "nanny states" and yap about not wanting the gov. involved in their personal lives, which are great for lofty ideals, but they don't work out so well in reality.

You know, it's basically the same principle as a business that produces food for public consumption being expected not to harbor all manner of life-threatening bacteria on their premises that could be passed on to consumers. Many of these places are kept on their toes by the knowledge that an inspector could walk in the door at any time. It would be great if we could count on a sense of morality and personal responsibility to circumvent certain situations, but -- well we clearly can't count on that.

Yeah, it's not perfect, but again, it's better than the alternative. I wish that I had an answer that would help protect workers as well as to protect profits, but all I can really say is that Alaska's propensity to require annual inspections of businesses has not exactly resulted in the downfall of civilization or a massive commie takeover.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-29-2013 at 01:15 AM..

Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I didn't see the cartoon that you mentioned, but then, political cartoons aren't really on my radar. .

Old 04-29-2013, 11:32 AM

That's not a cartoon.

I like this one better:

Old 04-29-2013, 11:41 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
David Horsey / Los Angeles Times (January 15, 2013)

Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times

Old 04-29-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I do think, Moose, that you're still so entrenched in the us. vs. them mentality that the Koch brothers spoon fed you a couple of years ago that you can't see anything beyond the latest fabricated diversion..
Or, it's because I've spent my entire professional career working either directly for, or closely with the Federal Government and have seen first hand the sheer incompetence and financial waste existing at all it's levels.

There is a HUGE difference between a few efficient, common sense, well targeted regulations (which nobody opposes including me), and our current Federal Government which has morphed into a multi-headed, self-replicating Hydra that is strangling the spiritual, moral, ethical, constitutional, and free-market institutions of our once great nation. And if you can't see the difference you are either not paying attention, are willfully ignorant, or just plain blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska