Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
What business owner failed to provide those agencies with the information that he's legally required to provide?

I can't believe grown men are bawling over the thought of fertilizer plants in Texas being subjected to periodic inspections.

Even the place that employs you as a janitor is subject to inspections once in awhile, Ray.
A fertilizer plant is not a fish cannery, Met
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:11 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Just the type of stupid statement that I would expect from you. It has nothing to do with what you quoted, yet you've yelped ad nauseum in this thread about others going "off topic." Your poor wife must be working late again tonight, and here you are, true to form, deep into the wine.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-29-2013 at 10:38 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 09:52 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,199 times
Hey RayinAk........was meant as sarcasm.......guess I should have added this.....
....or this..........or this..........or this...........or this.........sorry....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Yup.....Bush's fault......

Old 04-29-2013, 09:57 PM

941 posts, read 1,791,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Or, it's because I've spent my entire professional career working either directly for, or closely with the Federal Government and have seen first hand the sheer incompetence and financial waste existing at all it's levels.

There is a HUGE difference between a few efficient, common sense, well targeted regulations (which nobody opposes including me), and our current Federal Government which has morphed into a multi-headed, self-replicating Hydra that is strangling the spiritual, moral, ethical, constitutional, and free-market institutions of our once great nation. And if you can't see the difference you are either not paying attention, are willfully ignorant, or just plain blind.
I also spent a great deal of my career working with various government entities and I have seen a few examples of waste but never enough to consider it "at all it's levels". But the regulations you are talking about in the case of the Texass Plant are in something called the Patriot Act which was passed and signed by someone you've praised previously on this forum. The problems with the Federal Government is money which is harvested by the congress people in vast quantities mostly from good old boys who make sure you have an "R" after your name. And their main purpose for existing isn't to follow the dictates of the Constitution but rather the donors of those large unregulated sums of money.

The Department of Homeland Security has responsibility for all forms of Ammonium Nitrate for a good reason and that is to monitor its use as fertilizer which has been diverted to other uses. But again ask yourself what expertise do they have? They also monitor the production, storage, sale, transportation or accounting for the amount an individual has in their possession. You can go into many stores across this country and buy a 100 pound sack of Urea and take it with you. A lot of the liquid form is used to breakup rock in quarries across this country. The requirements for reporting don't exist because anti regulators like yourself made sure they didn't have to report. We need better trained regulators and more of them who do what they are supposed to do.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Hey RayinAk........was meant as sarcasm.......guess I should have added this.....
....or this..........or this..........or this...........or this.........sorry....
Where did you get the cuteness?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,440,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Agree with you. The federal agencies that conduct such inspections fell asleep on this one.
That is not how it works. The feds give States the money to create programs that the States enforce at the State level. The feds only get involved if the offense is egregious enough to warrant their attention.

The States enact their own laws patterned after, and heavily influenced by, the federal agencies and federal law. The States then collect federal funding to maintain those State programs.

For example, the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Division of Spill Prevention & Response, Industrial Preparedness Program, there is the Underground Storage Tank Section, which is almost entirely funded by the federal EPA. The UST Section reports to the EPA every quarter, however, inspections of underground storage tanks only occurs once every three years. Only when someone refuses to comply or pay their annual fees per tank, will the Alaska Department of Law get involved. If the EPA thinks it is a really bad violation, they may also get directly involved at the same time as the Department of Law.

The overwhelming vast majority of the time the issue is resolved at the State level. Federal agencies only get involved on rare occasions.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:10 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Where did you get the cuteness?
Me or the smiley things?

Me...from my parents....the smiley things.....from here:

http://boards.buffalobills.com/misc.php?do=showsmilies

Old 04-29-2013, 10:19 PM

I was referring to the cuteness of the smilies.

It is, however, largely Junior's fault that business regulations in Texass aren't quite up to par.

The owner of that plant better have a lot of loot stashed offshore because the ensuing lawsuits are going to wipe him out.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 PM

Thanks, I remember Buffalo Bill's now -- let's see if I can make this work:

[IMG]:sleep:[/IMG]

Old 04-29-2013, 10:23 PM

Thanks, I remember Buffalo Bill's now, but how do you make them work in forum posts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska