Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 PM

457 posts, read 1,016,306 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Alaska real bad.

But the infrastructure really scares me.

Any folks considered and conquered this dillema?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 02:58 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
What do you mean by infastructure? Remember...some of us here have not been to college!

Old 03-14-2007, 07:28 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,692 times
I don't know what would scare you about the infrastructure....is is just like anyplace else, unless you live in the bush. Then you are choosing to be out of the infrastructure. My wifey worked for the Mat-Su borough for many years and her biggest complaint is the folks that lived off the beaten trail (by choice) then would call and whine about roads not getting plowed fast enough, etc. It would be entirely up to you where to live and how many "public services" you wanted. If you live in Anchorage, it would be like living in any big city (with mountains and moose, of course) and if you live in Mc Carthy, you better have a good gen set! If you get a little more specific, I'm sure there are many here that can ease your mind. My $.02

Old 03-14-2007, 09:29 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,941 times
Many (including myself) prefer the absence of infrastructure in much of Alaska. Once man gets too involved with his surroundings, the environment takes a hit and is often completely replaced with man-made objects (highways, skyscrapers, housing, traffic, etc) Once that happens there is absolutely zero appeal to me to even want to visit such a place, let alone live there. My $.02

Bud

Old 03-14-2007, 09:40 AM

Well, infrastructure like mandatory heat source in the winter, Groceries , fuel transportation , seems like a lot of people in alaska depend on the state government services, thats a real turn off for me.

I thought alaska is a place to be free from all that. Maybe Im myopic in a sense, thanks for the replys tho...

Old 03-14-2007, 10:10 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,692 times
MMM....I don't know if you've ever been there Manmountain, but the time that I've spent there I've discovered folks to be quite independent of depending on anything other than their own devices to keep going. I haven't lived there but have a few good friends there and none of them seem to need more than a fishing rod, a good rifle, and a truck to stay happy. You may be thinking of the folks that move there to get their chunk of the permanant fund, of course that is different than most folks I've known or met from AK. There is village life of course, and that is a situation all its own as well. I would really suggest you spend a couple weeks there, you'd probably be surprised. The perception of Alaskans from most in the lower 48 is not even close to reality (at least of the Alaskans I've met). Bud? Rance?

Old 03-14-2007, 11:02 AM

I live a mile off the highway. I like it when the road don't get plowed for a couple days. I burn natural gas because I grew tired of cutting hauling splitting wood years ago. I have electric lights because I got tired of oil lamps years ago. I drive 10 miles one way to get to a good sized grocery store, even tho I hunt, fish and grow a garden, because I just have to have some variety in my cupboards. I have satellite TV because I like watching Discovery. I pay all my bills at the post office with money orders. I love the way I live. Nice and simple. I have no fear and very little drama in my life. Is that what you mean by infastructure?

Old 03-14-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I live a mile off the highway. I like it when the road don't get plowed for a couple days. I burn natural gas because I grew tired of cutting hauling splitting wood years ago. I have electric lights because I got tired of oil lamps years ago. I drive 10 miles one way to get to a good sized grocery store, even tho I hunt, fish and grow a garden, because I just have to have some variety in my cupboards. I have satellite TV because I like watching Discovery. I pay all my bills at the post office with money orders. I love the way I live. Nice and simple. I have no fear and very little drama in my life. Is that what you mean by infastructure?

Yes Rance , that sure is part of it, sounds like you have a good setup.

Is your natural gas piped in or is it delivered to you? I assume you have power poles out to your property there for eletricity?

I looked at land for sale in Sterling, seemes like a lot of lots for sale.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:33 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,851 times
Alaska is probably the free-est place you'll find in the states...most people up here really do live mainly on wild game, berries, gardening in some areas. I know one guy who lives in an ancient cannery just to safeguard some of the old equipment from passing fishing boats. He lives on wood heat, only gets staple supplies 2 or 3 times a year from town, and lives entirely on wild game/etc. A census bureau person called me the other day and wanted to know if there was anyone living in that area anymore. I said, "Nope, not a soul." He lives there because he wants to be left alone, and people here respect that. There ain't much infrastructure there, boyo!
Re; Depending on fuel; where is there a place that has transport that doesn't run on fuel? If you don't want to go anywhere, you don't need to use fuel, I guess. Lots of folks don't even come into town unless staple supplies are needed.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:46 PM

Yes I have an underground gas line right to the house. I have running water, septic, electric and phone. All underground, but there are poles in the area. I'm in a very quiet neighborhood, and have some remote island property fairly close by when I need to really get away.
Back in the mid 80's...I had a newborn son, lived in this same house with only a wood stove, oil lamps, and visquene windows. The only bill I had was for the hospital because we chose to have our son born there in town. Well that and diapers. I was self employed selling firewood locally. I managed to pay off the hospital and buy groceries etc, all on 65 dollars a day. I actually miss those days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska