Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:45 AM

773 posts, read 1,938,996 times

Advertisements

One of the things that I like about the properties I'm considering on POW is there is a....kind of Christian based community in the area I'm looking at. Are there any others, that are in remote areas.. Thought I should consider some other areas, before we head up to look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,247 times
There's the Mount Bether farm outside of Hoonah. Tom Botts has a blog and he was a long time member. You can read back through his post for the times he talks about life there. Here's a link to the book he wrote about it and there's a link for his blog there: ::: My Homepage :::

Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,988 times
Whitestone Community Association - Home

Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM

863 posts, read 2,077,507 times
Yep, Whitestone and several others around Delta; Dry Creek and New Hope are the ones I remember. Farm-able soil and no property taxes are an attractive combination.. There's a similar community down in Kenny Lake. Can't remember what it's called.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,687,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
There's the Mount Bether farm outside of Hoonah. Tom Botts has a blog and he was a long time member. You can read back through his post for the times he talks about life there. Here's a link to the book he wrote about it and there's a link for his blog there: ::: My Homepage :::
Thanks for that link. Wonder why Tom and his family left?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:44 PM

305 posts, read 683,012 times
Many of the original members left as times changed, and others moved in. They're undergoing a bit of a growth spurt at present, and the school is filling up. The Farm is actively engaged in the Hoonah community, and the small hardware/sporting goods/fishing supply/gift store is owned and operated by the Farm. As far as joining, of course you must be in concert with Christian beliefs. They need able-bodied members as the lifestyle is still on the rugged side - outhouses, firewood, sawmill, etc. There are small apartments in the main sanctuary building, and there are also frame homes connected by boardwalk spread throughout the woods and flats.The main sanctuary functions as central point for meals, worship, community center, work center, etc., and every year an open Thanksgiving is celebrated with folks from town coming out. You can get there by driving out the logging roads, then a good hike in. Or you can get there by boat, but it's tide-dependent. There's also an affiliated community based out of Haines.

Tom is a good guy, his wife is a good woman, and their children are all productive members of society. None of them lives at the farm, but the rapport is good. Interest in joining can be pursued by calling Tideland Tackle and speaking with David Austin.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:30 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,614,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidelines View Post
There's also an affiliated community based out of Haines.

Tom is a good guy, his wife is a good woman, and their children are all productive members of society.
I forgot about the group in Haines... Up by Mosquito Lake, right?

Tom & his family are good people. I grew up with his oldest daughter. And one of the Pinard girls too.

I remember going fishing at Game Creek and people from the farm inviting us up for lunch and showing us around. They do a pretty amazing job of surviving in the wilderness.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Thanks everyone, I looked into the groups I could find and they are nice, but, not quite what I am looking for. I'm more along the line of, remote individuals/familys that take care of them selves and maybe help each other out, yet go to a local church. I'm not looking to give up any control or have someone tell me what I can and can't have.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 PM

305 posts, read 683,012 times
heh...well, what exactly is your definition of remote if they're attending a local church????

Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 PM

Yes, I see what you mean.
Land with no taxes, 10 to 30 people in the area....I know some of these little communities have a church of some sort, many don't. 1 to 3 hrs to a town.....maybe more, just depends. On or close to a road system.......I have only been to POW, Ketchikan, Yakutat and Icy Bay. Maybe places you can get Subsistence permit might better describe my definition of remote??? I'm not looking for fly in or boat in only places. Ferry's are ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska