Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:46 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,227,390 times

Advertisements

I lost a fan belt on Ft Greely one winter. Luckily, it was a rental. Heh heh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 10:05 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
Hobo spiders are nasty, but they're not big. The house I'm in right now has a lot of them- we just set out traps and it's not a problem.
Never personally seen them in Juneau, but I've no doubt that they would thrive if accidentally introduced. I know a guy who was bitten by one on the leg, ended up in the hospital. He was on crutches for a few weeks.
A lot of people on this thread have said that these "pests" can't survive the cold in far northern places. I assure you- they can, the same way you do. They come inside. The only reason you don't have them up there (yet!) is because no one has brought them in sufficient quantities...
I've been told you can prevent bugs from coming inside by spreading coffee grounds around the base of your walls (outside). I've never done it personally, but it seems logical enough. Many coffee shops would be happy to give you their used coffee grounds if someone wanted to try it.
Just my two pennies...

Old 11-12-2007, 08:18 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Bud the spot where I pick berries down your way there are these big furry spiders that are in the berry bushes. I swear they can jump 4 feet. If spiders could snarl...these guys would be savage beasts! I'm not sure if they are a wolf spider. Big eyes and furry and just mean looking. We never have bear trouble because everyone is screaming all the time. Never have been bitten.
Did they have webs? If so, theyre probably funnel-web spiders.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
No I don't remember seeing any webs. Do we have funnel web spiders in AK?

Old 11-12-2007, 01:46 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
No I don't remember seeing any webs. Do we have funnel web spiders in AK?
Si senor.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:50 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Hobo spiders are nasty, but they're not big. The house I'm in right now has a lot of them- we just set out traps and it's not a problem.
Never personally seen them in Juneau, but I've no doubt that they would thrive if accidentally introduced. I know a guy who was bitten by one on the leg, ended up in the hospital. He was on crutches for a few weeks.
A lot of people on this thread have said that these "pests" can't survive the cold in far northern places. I assure you- they can, the same way you do. They come inside. The only reason you don't have them up there (yet!) is because no one has brought them in sufficient quantities...
I've been told you can prevent bugs from coming inside by spreading coffee grounds around the base of your walls (outside). I've never done it personally, but it seems logical enough. Many coffee shops would be happy to give you their used coffee grounds if someone wanted to try it.
Just my two pennies...
I have to ask.... Xa'at, you don't like guns, but you trap? Spiders are inteligent creatures too! Just read Garfield!

Old 11-12-2007, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
I have to ask.... Xa'at, you don't like guns, but you trap? Spiders are inteligent creatures too! Just read Garfield!
Actually, I don't mind them so much. For whatever reason they seem to stay out of my living space. However there is a small child in the house who is very afraid of spiders...
The only bugs that I really hate are those stinkbug things- very prevalent here. They land on me while I'm sleeping, crawl all over my face, and stink up the joint. As far as I can tell they don't really do anything other than crawl around and make weird noises. You can't smush 'em, because that makes them stink, so you have to flush them. Stink bugs are the only animals that I personally kill. (Do the crickets I feed to my gecko count? )

Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,442,176 times
geckos are my friend, and we all know we need to help keep our friends healthy!

I was introduced to the geckos in Hawaii... Love how they feast on roaches.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
geckos are my friend, and we all know we need to help keep our friends healthy!

I was introduced to the geckos in Hawaii... Love how they feast on roaches.
Yeah, I love 'em too. Too bad I won't be getting to bring back my little girl- dorm won't let me have her and I don't want to pawn her off on my family. She'll be staying with my extended family here in Idaho until I have a place of my own.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 AM
lnz

1 posts, read 4,776 times
Brown Recluse are becoming more common in alaska lately. People are bringing them with them from the lower 48. But still not anything to worry about. Its not likely for one to last a winter.
I've lived in alaska all 15 years of my life and its quite safe. Smaller communities. Less crime. and the Bears sorta steer clear of populated areas. And all the moose that i've seen are pretty harmless as long as you dont get too close. They've all somewhat adapted to having us here and they seem not to mind humans presence. But if you have a dog, i suggest you keep it away from moose..they have a habit to kid small animals that get to close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska