Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:42 PM

251 posts, read 706,912 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Not to beat a topic to death, but I have an odd question.
Personally, I dislike "tourons", living in a tourist mecca like New Orleans.
Many of you have expressed similar feelings.
But my question to you is this: is there a place you always wanted to go just to see how life is there?
And if so, firstly, WHY do you want to see it and secondly, HOW would you go about seeing it?

I'll go ahead and answer first.
I always wanted to see Prague because I worked with a Czechoslovakian colleague and she really painted a curious picture to me. I was, to say the least, intrigued.
The way I went about seeing Prague was to rent a flat there for a month and just live like a local. I shopped at the markets for food, ate at local places and asked the local businesspeople (bike shops in particular) what there was to do around town.
Sure, I went to the museums and famous places, but I did it in a manner consistent with how the locals would have done it.
In return, I had a great time and learned a heck of a lot more than any tour would ever be able to offer me.
And it was really cheap to do it- about the same for a month living there as it would have been for a two-week tour. Likely a bit less.
I also got a few friends out of it.

Please note, this thread isn't about the benefits or negatives of tourists or the tourism industry- it is just about why and how you would tour.
I do not see my way as being above other ways- it is just what I did.

Hope this discussion opens some great conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 12:49 PM

48 posts, read 205,799 times
I like the way you visited Prague. That is the way I intend to see the world, but I cannot afford to just do it for the month. I am actually planning to teach in different areas around the world hopefully working for the D.O.D.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:50 PM

5,477 posts, read 12,249,829 times
I totally agree with you. I've done the "touron" thing with the groups. I remember traveling Europe with a choral group, and the frustration that came with the preorganized meals, "tourist attractions," the lack of explorational freedom, and the glaring stares from the locals who looked on us as just another stupid group of American tourists. Of course, you get saddled with some of those stupid, loud, tourons, thus you're left guilty by association.

Conversely, I traveled Europe by renting a flat for a period of time, shopping on the economy, struggling with the language, walking, exploring etc. I think locals are more receptive to these types because they don't want the Disney Tour Experience. They rather, are more likely to show an interest in the working aspects of the culture and all the other stuff too. When I travel in the states I do the same: I stay at a hostel or rent a flat--you meet so many interesting and like-minded people hosteling. I shop, explore, check out the bus routes, etc. You get such a different and I think more accurate feel for the place. Plus,you really make some great friends!

Teaching overseas is a great way too. I have a dear friend who is currently teaching English in Korea for a year and she's traveling to the surrounding areas as well.

Cobolt

Old 11-14-2007, 12:51 PM

48 posts, read 205,799 times
Oh by the way the place that I want to visit are:
Alaska
New Zealand
Scotland (Shetland Islands)
Singapore

Just to get the list started.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
I'm going to go smoke hashish on a Mediterranean beach fairly soon.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:18 PM

251 posts, read 706,912 times
Met,

Ummm...
Well, there you go.
When in Rome I guess...

Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
After that I'm going to visit Vatican City and get blessed by the Pope in St. Peter's Square.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:40 AM

3 posts, read 13,879 times
The Beauty of the world is highlighted in Alaska, this is truly an awesome picture of the stroke of God's brush, In every part of the world, you would find traces of Alaska, For Alaska is God's creation and it took the rest of the planet Earth to hold it. Metlakatla, and the island of Annette are but a focal point of God's handi work.

Last edited by chazd; 11-15-2007 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: to include Metlakatla

Old 11-15-2007, 02:53 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Default Hef's mansion

I've always wondered what it would be like to live in the Playboy Mansion.

Say, do you think Hef would rent me a room for a month?

Old 11-15-2007, 11:17 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,009 times
I'm considering spending a semester in Auckland studying abroad. Either that or Rejkavik, but I don't know Icelandic so New Zealand seems a little easier.
Other than that, my far in the future travel plans include Ellesmere Island (I'd like to see Alert, NT), Iceland, Norway and Sweden, and Russia. I am the goddess of the North, after all! I have to survey my domain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska