Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 09:27 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,052,144 times

Advertisements

Anybody seen the movie The Barber starring Malcom Mcdowell? 24 hr darkness for months? How far north would that have to be? Any cityies like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 09:41 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
No Cities like that, some are close though. IIRC, Barrow, Alaska would be the closest in the United States. But several other countries have cities that are close as well.

Remember the opposite is also true. Which is you get 24hrs of daylight in the summer.

From Wiki:

Astronomical polar night[edit]
The astronomical polar night is a period of continuous night where no astronomical twilight occurs. Astronomical twilight happens when the sun is between twelve and eighteen degrees below the horizon and astronomical night when it is even lower. Thus, the astronomical polar night is limited to latitudes above 84° 34', which is exactly 18° within the polar circle, or five and a half degrees from the pole. During the astronomical polar night stars of the sixth magnitude, which are the dimmest stars visible to the naked eye, will be visible throughout the entire day.
There are no permanent settlements anywhere in this range of latitude. This portion of the Arctic Ocean is generally permanently ice-capped[citation needed]. Some scientific stations in Antarctica, including the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, experience this.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:02 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,904,275 times
Right now the sun wont rise over Barrow for almost 60 more days. But it is not dark all day. They do have some twilight.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:22 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
We get about six hours of twilight in Barrow right now but even that is getting shorter. Pretty soon we won't get much twilight at all and we won't see the sun until 17 January.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,313,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
We get about six hours of twilight in Barrow right now but even that is getting shorter. Pretty soon we won't get much twilight at all and we won't see the sun until 17 January.
Nope. I couldn't do it. You would see me on the news...after a total flip out.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:02 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
I’m a loner simply because I have neither the time for anyone else nor the desire to share what little time I do have for myself with anyone else. I find relationships and friendships with other people to be both cumbersome and tedious and I find the company of other people to be tiresome and irksome at best. People are always wanting something, to share something, to tell you something.

People are always wanting some of my time in order to compensate for the lack of time that they have created for their own selves and they expect silly stuff like validation for their existence in the process. I've found that most people need the approval and acceptance of others in order to simply exist on a day to day basis.
And yet here you are on an Internet forum, endlessly spewing garbled profundities and presumably wanting at least some people to agree with you.

Oh, and I found the source of your little rant. Pretty entertaining stuff! (NSFW for the sort of language that's not allowed on C-D.)

http://www.goingfaster.com/angst/hdbritney.htm

Old 11-28-2013, 06:55 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,572,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Not much different working in Prudhoe either, but get to see some great light shows at night though!

Old 11-29-2013, 02:09 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Not much different working in Prudhoe either, but get to see some great light shows at night though!
True that! Saw some amazing lights a few weeks ago but it was too damn cold to set up the tripod and adjust the settings to shoot them. I tried but the hands were hurting too much to stay out there.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:13 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manmountain View Post
I’m a loner simply because I have neither the time for anyone else nor the desire to share what little time I do have for myself with anyone else. I find relationships and friendships with other people to be both cumbersome and tedious and I find the company of other people to be tiresome and irksome at best. People are always wanting something, to share something, to tell you something.

People are always wanting some of my time in order to compensate for the lack of time that they have created for their own selves and they expect silly stuff like validation for their existence in the process. I've found that most people need the approval and acceptance of others in order to simply exist on a day to day basis.

let ya go then zombie herds -- drive on ......
Such a loner with so little time...posting on the internet. You are no different from anyone else. No matter how frustrated we get with the human race, we require social interaction to maintain our insanity. You can attempt to argue it but there are countless examples proving it as fact. Just look at this thread as exhibit A.

Old 11-29-2013, 01:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Google the passage you quoted if you want to see a true waste of time.

I don't think MM is the guy who wrote those words -- he just copied them. I have no idea why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska