Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 AM

17 posts, read 56,362 times

Advertisements

We lived in Cordova AK, but had to move back to NC for family reasons. Now we are ready to move back to AK. We would like input on other areas of AK. We would like to move to a small community that is on the road system. We are not city people and as long as we have a Walmart to drive to a couple times a year for supplies. I am a teacher and my husband is a carpenter/cabinet maker. We have been researching and sending out emails to businesses and the Chamber of Commerces in the Willow, Palmer and Sutton areas but so far we have had no replies. We are very familiar with the weather and can't wait to get back. If you have any comments or suggestions about any communities, please do not hesitate to reply. We would love the input, we want to move to a community where we can work and contribute, not just survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 12:54 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Here's a list of communities:

The State of Alaska (http://www.state.ak.us/local/communit.shtml - broken link)

Old 11-24-2007, 01:06 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,887,377 times
You should look into cities on the peninsula- most are on the road system and all are absolutely beautiful.
Good luck coming home! I know how you feel.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:39 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,751,351 times
Default AK Teacher Job Fair

There is an AK Teacher Job Fair in the spring here in Anchorage or outside.

alaska_job_fairs [Alaska Teacher Placement]

Old 11-25-2007, 06:16 AM

Smile AK Teacher Job Fair

Bongo,

Thanks for the info. I taught in AK before, but since then they have changed the requirements. Even though I have 24 years experience, I have to go back an take the Praxis Tests. So when we move back I guess I'll do some substituting (hopefully) while I study to take the tests.

Thanks,

Dreamers

Hopefully and old dog can learn to pass the tests!

Old 11-25-2007, 07:35 AM

42 posts, read 236,736 times
How long have you been gone from AK?

Old 11-25-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Been away from AK to long

HeartsnAK

We had to move back to NC in May of this year, so we have not been away long. But I miss AK more and more everyday! We are so looking forward to getting back. Most of my teaching experience has been in NC, but the years I taught in AK was the best of my career. I just hope this old lady can pass tests as well as I can give them.

Dreamers

Old 11-25-2007, 02:21 PM

145 posts, read 570,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
Bongo,

Thanks for the info. I taught in AK before, but since then they have changed the requirements. Even though I have 24 years experience, I have to go back an take the Praxis Tests. So when we move back I guess I'll do some substituting (hopefully) while I study to take the tests.

Thanks,

Dreamers

Hopefully and old dog can learn to pass the tests!
Hi Dreamers,

I haven't been able to get a handle on this; I am certified in another state ("highly qualified" ...what a term) and know I have to take the Praxis. However, I'm still not clear on if it has to be the Praxis I and the Praxis II (subject area) as I had read something about when a teacher is licensed in another state...the Praxis I 'might' suffice. But I can't find that info again.

It is June for us, and we cannot wait. Tick...tick...

Good luck with everything,
Deb

Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 AM

Magoon,

Yes, I am also "Highly Qualified" in another state, but have also taught in AK. The new rules for AK is that you can teach for 1 year in AK, without taking or passing the Praxis I, (Reading, Math & Writing). After that 1st year they will no longer certify you to teach until you have passed the tests. Google <Alaska Teacher Job Placement> go to their web site and read, read, read! That is where you find out everything, you can even print off the application to apply for AK certification. They are very helpful, but be aware, sometimes they get a little overwhelmed because people get angry in their present job and apply for a job in AK, but never fall through. So at ATP they are always trying to weed those people out.
Yes, you have to pass the Praxis 1 by the end of May to teach the next year. I plan to go back up and sub or something to get my name in the schools. I am a Special Education Teacher with Cross-Categorical Certification, how about you? I'll help you all I can, if you have any other ????'s fire away, I'll try and help.

Dreamers

Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 AM

145 posts, read 570,495 times
Hi Dreamers,

Thank you very much. I am a high school (guess I could be Middle School too if I want a hormonal bath :-)) math teacher.

Yup, I do know all need to do the Praxis I to be certified, but it is the Praxis II that seems sort of 'somtimey.' That's the one I have a little concern about.

We also have to take two Alaskan Classes; one in cross-cultural communication and one in an area of history; the DOE is very specific on which courses are accepted. I am currently taking both (sigh) through UAF.

So, I'm hoping with the Praxis I and these two classes, I'll be certifiable; oh, wait, just ask anyone who knows me :-) I *am* certifiable.

Ok, thanks again, and good luck with everything,

Deb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska