Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 07:13 PM

40 posts, read 102,254 times

Advertisements

My sister and I w/b retired in about a year. We want to take a in-state Alaska cruise, not on one of the big cruise lines. We want to do this first class b/c it will be a trip of the life time for us. We want to see everything we can.

We plan to spend about a month to six weeks in Alaska. I have done a number of searches but so far have only found the large cruise lines or the Alaska ferry system.

Does anyone have any recommendations for nice, reliable in-state cruise ships?

Thanks very much,
Karen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 PM

886 posts, read 5,716,872 times
There are no instate cruise ships. We call them fishing boats LOL. You best be is to fly into one of three city's and book a tour or two. Also the Alaska Rail road is something you have to do. Glacier viewing as well as Denali park. The list goes on and on.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:42 PM

Thank you so much. I am so excited, even though it is some time away. There is so much I want to see. I am an amateur photographer, so cannot wait.

I will keep the Alaska Railroad on my short list, along with viewing glaciers, and Denali.

Thanks again,
Karen

Old 01-05-2014, 11:53 PM

623 posts, read 958,848 times
There are some small ship cruise lines that do Southeast Alaska. Some are basically yachts, others are up to 130 passengers.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,617,571 times
There's these guys: Alaska Inside Passage Cruise Glacier Bay | Un-Cruise Adventures
They do some good trips.

You might also do some research at Trip Advisor: Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska, United States

Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
There's these guys: Alaska Inside Passage Cruise Glacier Bay | Un-Cruise Adventures
They do some good trips.

You might also do some research at Trip Advisor: Alaska Forum, Travel Discussion for Alaska, United States
Thanks very much for the great links. I searched Un-Cruise Adventures. Not cheap, but very very nice.

Karen

Old 01-06-2014, 06:23 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,052 times
There are many small ship cruises in Alaska although most are pretty pricey. We did Un-Cruise once and it was amazing. You might try Alaska Dream Cruises that is similar but less expensive. The trade out is that you don't have access to the onboard kayaks and skiffs. You get what you pay for. Both are very good experiences.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 PM

623 posts, read 958,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
They do some good trips.

Good company, I use to work with some of those guys when we both worked for the same company years ago. They've got a good product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska