Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:17 PM

47 posts, read 136,784 times

Advertisements

As everyone here I believe would agree is our country is going in the wrong direction that it really should be./? It is so much more ovious in the lower 48. So what I have to ask everyone is, what should the limits be for someone to sacrafice for a change? And what I am getting at is I have been to Alaska and It is a wonderful place. I really want to live there. It just seems like when your in Alaska you are so far away from what is going on in the lower 48 that it doesnt really matter what they do there (lower 48) I believe from reading all the posts from people here, that there is a lot of opportunity for almost anyone who wants to have a go at it. I have a good job as a union carpenter here but I just hate getting up and going to work anymore and it just seems like a change has got to happen........ You dont know when your time is up and so life can be short. I believe in working hard but I also believe you should enjoy what you do and where you do it. So, it is back to....."How much to sacrafice"...... Thanks for comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07chevy View Post
As everyone here I believe would agree is our country is going in the wrong direction that it really should be./? It is so much more ovious in the lower 48. So what I have to ask everyone is, what should the limits be for someone to sacrafice for a change? And what I am getting at is I have been to Alaska and It is a wonderful place. I really want to live there. It just seems like when your in Alaska you are so far away from what is going on in the lower 48 that it doesnt really matter what they do there (lower 48) I believe from reading all the posts from people here, that there is a lot of opportunity for almost anyone who wants to have a go at it. I have a good job as a union carpenter here but I just hate getting up and going to work anymore and it just seems like a change has got to happen........ You dont know when your time is up and so life can be short. I believe in working hard but I also believe you should enjoy what you do and where you do it. So, it is back to....."How much to sacrafice"...... Thanks for comments.
I have two friends who are union carpenters at the University of AK, and they feel the same way you feel about your job in the lower-48. Care to guess what they do each year? Well, both worked a deal with the University and the Union for each to work in Alaska 6 months. The rest of the time they spend working in the lower-48.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:08 PM

That sounds like a good deal for them, but I want stay in Alaska and not have to work in the lower 48 again. Just to nice up there to want to came back down here. Thanks for the response.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
That sounds like a good deal for them, but I want stay in Alaska and not have to work in the lower 48 again. Just to nice up there to want to came back down here. Thanks for the response.
My point was that they get tired of working here, and get a break by going South

Old 11-29-2007, 08:53 PM

Thanks Ray for your responses, I appreciate them. I think I am going to head up to Alaska again and tour the different places I have checked out on the web and from what I have read about some of them on here. I think that is the only way to decide where to invest in and live some day, the sooner the better.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks Ray for your responses, I appreciate them. I think I am going to head up to Alaska again and tour the different places I have checked out on the web and from what I have read about some of them on here. I think that is the only way to decide where to invest in and live some day, the sooner the better.
Now, that's an excellent idea (to look around first). That way you can have an idea of what the place is all about. Alaska is a place that some folks hate, while the other half love it. I met my wife here back in 1980, after she decided to stay in Alaska when her parents moved down South. She loves it here as much as I do. But often couples who come to Alaska to stay end-up separating when one likes this place and the other doesn't. It's pretty hard on some military families, too. If you enjoy the outdoors, more than likely you will like it here.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-29-2007 at 09:48 PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 PM

457 posts, read 1,015,921 times
07-- I can really relate to what your saying;; I went thru the same thing and last year was the last for me too in the lower 48 union job situation.

Its such a tough call- so many variables -- a girlfriend and home ownership wore me down as well.

So I sacrificed the good job for the sake of saving my life and not dieing a premature death . Theres many many guys that stick thru the job for 40 years that felt worn out as well but they felt it was worth it i assume.

I sold the house really because i feel the mother of all economic depressions is on the USA's doorstep. It was a relief to be out from under it tho. so I got that weight on my shoulders. etc.

Theres no reason to not think youll get a nice union job in AK!

I had to sacrifice the setup I had , I was unsatisfied, getting unhealthier by the year--- drinkin more- diet was goin to hell etc,,, I was starting to get scared and asking myself; 'what the hell am I turning into? ',

I know one thing for sure ; If I dont follow my heart Im gonna regret it BIGTIME late in life.

Problems seem smaller when you start solving some of the ones you are able too.

Theres still a time and place to enjoy nature, beauty, love etc...

Gettting off the earn and spend merry-go-round is refreshing so what did I really sacrifice? Maybe not as much as I think I did. I cant look back.

Its a tough call.

Like the old saying ;tracks turn into ruts and ruts get ya stuck'

Good luck Brother.... MM

Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
I definitely agree with your sentiment concerning our direction as a nation. It is one of the reasons why I moved to Alaska in 1991. I had absolutely no idea what to expect, so the move was a big gamble. I didn't have a job waiting for me, and no place to stay.

Upon arriving in Anchorage I spent a week in a motel looking for an apartment, and then when I found one, I spent another month getting a job. Even after I got the job it only paid a fraction of what I earned living in Los Angeles. It took me another 2 years to get on my feet again, financially speaking, and get my business going again. Now, after 15 years in business in Alaska, I still haven't had a year where I earned more than my worst year in Los Angeles, but it is enough.

There is no way I could ever leave this state. I would be willing to change my 28-year profession if it meant I could stay in Alaska. Alaska is everything I could ever want in a location. I won't even leave Alaska for a short visit to the lower-48. I told my lower-48 relatives that if they expect me to show up at their funeral, they had better die in Alaska.

So as far as I am concerned, I am willing to make any sacrifice to live in Alaska.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:26 PM

WOW, Manmountain, Through the words of advise and your own personal experience of your own move, has really made it clear you are quite a wise person, someone who anyone could listen to. Thank you for your input, If I may ask for a few more details of your move job new job and where abouts of you now. If I may? not to be nosey, just sounds like I am proof reading my own story, I am going to be trying to sell , my house also cause I believe that our high life is going to be coming to an end soon. We have been having it to good to long. I also believe that you can live pretty cheap in Alaska if you work at it in the right way. a lot of oppertunity is out there. GLITCH

Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 PM

GLITCH, I got cut off on the last post, but I wanted to thank you also for your input about your move to Alaska. The sacrifices you made to make it happen is a great story. I believe it is more appreciated when you have nothing and you make it from the bottom up. I have started my jobs and moved up from there and have never been given anything. As Manmountain said get off the earn and spend circus and live better with less and yes you can still enjoy life, I agree with that 100% in Alaska you have so much to do , it doesnt seem like a materialistic place to be. Thanks for the input I do appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska