Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 22,596 times

Advertisements

We are planning a trip to Fairbanks in early spring. A friend told us they had used the Cassiar Highway before but we noticed that is different than the Milepost show as a main route. Just wondering what the pros and cons are of that route especially in early spring compared to the East Route, Edmonton to Dawson Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
I think the Cassiar is technically shorter but it will likely take you longer to travel it. It is more remote, and in worse shape than the Alcan. If you want to see more wilderness take that route.

I drove it in late November and would not recommend that. We hit a snowstorm and saw no plow trucks for miles and miles. When we finally hit the Alcan, it felt like we were on a freeway

Old 11-28-2007, 01:01 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Heres a few links on The Alaska Highway(Alcan). How early in the spring are you heading up? I've never done the Cassiar, but has driven the Alcan 13 times now. Where are you coming up from? I'd stick with the Alaska Highway if you're heading up early spring. There are a lot of gravel on the Cassiar and with the thawing this might become a problem, with mud. The Alcan on the other hand, it is paved all the way. Here are the links:
The MILEPOST: FAQ-Alaska Highway Facts
How to Drive to Alaska in the Winter - ExploreNorth
Drive North To Alaska - Planning Tips and FAQ's

Old 11-28-2007, 01:21 PM

5 posts, read 22,596 times
Thanks for the links. We are coming from Missouri and stopping over in Montana for a couple days. Thinking about doing the trip around last of April or first week of May. Does anyone know about the employment situation in Fairbanks. I work at a florist and my husband works in timber industry but can do construction type jobs.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:31 PM

I drove my parents down to Montana and back in August. We took a couple of different routes going down and back. On the return trip we left Baker and headed straight north to Saskatchewan and drove through Regina and Saskatoon and drove Highway 16 through Edmonton and then up to Dawson Creek, the start of the Alcan. If you took the Cassiar you'd have to drive extra miles to come up to Alaska. I'd stay with the Alcan instead of the Cassiar, more gas stations.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 PM

6 posts, read 24,203 times
I disagree, if you are coming from Missoula, Montana or farther west the Cassiar is the shorter route and it is far more beautiful. Go to Spokane, Washington and pick your way north to the border and to Salmon Arm and Prince George, then north to Whitehorse where you pick up the Alcan. If you do come up the Alcan you can head west from Calgary and come up through Banff Park to Hinton or from Edmonton west toward Banff and turn north at Hinton to Dawson Creek where you hook back up with the Alcan. I've used all four ways and prefer the Cassiar, but the drive through the parks is beautiful. It can be messy anywhere after breakup for a while but I can remember when the Alcan was a muddy trail through a few of the muskeg bogs and the Cassiar is no where near that bad. When I drove the Alcan two years ago there was plenty of construction all along it. I finally left it at Edmonton and drove to Slave Lake and then west just to get away from it for a while. One thing I would definitely do before I decided on any one route is to check the highway reports for closures due to road construction and or destruction through washouts and destroyed bridges, etc. That can happen at any time of the year and the road could be closed for a week or longer. Another thing you might consider is how comfortable you are driving through mountains, the roads aren't always as straight or wide as a four lane freeway. All in all unless you are able and willing to drive 500-600 or more in a day plan on a week to drive from Montana, it's 3000 miles across Canada to Anchorage. Any of the provincial government's tourism will send you road maps on request and all can be found on line.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:44 PM

It took us four days to Baker, Mt going down. Three days coming back.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:32 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
I took the Cassiar both ways this summer. I've been on the Alaska Highway many times and would prefer the Cassiar. The only thing you want to watch is your gas tank. If you see a gas station open stop and top off. Also, I think it's worth the side trip to go to Hyder. That's got to be one of the neatest towns in Alaska.

Plus, it actually did save miles over the Alcan route.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 PM

It roughly saves about a hundred plus miles, totally worth it taking the Alcan, can stop at Laird River Hot Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska