Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 PM

20 posts, read 31,879 times

Advertisements

I heard Alaska hit record temps (60 degrees) and it even rained while here in the northeast it gone to below 0 and it even snowed in Florida. We had about 7-8 nor'easters this year...I heard you lucky ducks are enjoying warm weather during winter. The world is changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCGamer12345 View Post
I heard Alaska hit record temps (60 degrees) and it even rained while here in the northeast it gone to below 0 and it even snowed in Florida. We had about 7-8 nor'easters this year...I heard you lucky ducks are enjoying warm weather during winter. The world is changing.
Say what? Son, winter is still going on here and will be for some time.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCGamer12345 View Post
They were not record temperatures. We always get the Chinook Winds every winter to varying degrees. These southerly winds will blow for 10 days to two weeks, bringing warm air with them. After the winds stop blowing, the temperature returns to normal. It is currently +9°F in Knik, AK.

Thus far it has been a fairly normal winter, but with less snow than usual. Not terribly cold or warm. March is a big snow month (along with December). So we should see a few more feet of snow before the winter is over.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM

206 posts, read 514,120 times
Hmm still winter happening here, not sure why we are getting a winter check now... come back in April and ask this .

3 days ago we had wind chill advisory, and a few days before that had another. In Barrow its fricking cold, like it is every year. If it was warmer like in the mid-west-east coast we would have crap tons of snow, but its too cold to snow much up here so instead we get frozen like TV dinners.

Its all that fresh water dumping into the Atlantic near the polar cap thats really adjusting the east coasts extreme weather changes, until good ole Mom-nature decides the ocean has had enough freshness its gonna get tons colder and a lot whiter.

I forget the name of the phenomena but its a saltwater/freshwater current in the Atlantic that really pushes a lot of the continental weather changes Northern America experiences. (notice i said Northern America not USA).

Old 02-25-2014, 10:28 AM

681 posts, read 1,206,933 times
Still -16 at my place this morning, although it did get above 0 yesterday.....and will again today. Nothing out of the ordinary really.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:16 PM

460 posts, read 609,324 times
Had one of the warmest Januarys on record. Had temps up to 40 in Jan for a couple of days and lots of overflow on the river. Temps are back to normal or a little above 0-20 now, and we got some days below 0 to freeze things back up and a few inches of snow on the ice helped. Got some rain also in Jan. and had about 1/2 inch or more of ice on everything. Not a lot of snow this year, only 18 or so inches of snowpack and the same of ice frozen on the river. Could be and early breakup if it gets too warm, otherwise 2 months or so before usual break up. Was touch and go with where the Iditarod would start because of low snowfall in the pass and burn, but they are leaving Willow as usual. Will be some hard trails.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:23 PM

406 posts, read 756,232 times
This winter has been the same as the last 36 I have lived through here; but different.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:47 PM

191 posts, read 287,562 times
Does -20F in Anchorage feel colder than -20F
in Fairbanks?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:48 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
In general, yes, due to higher average humidity and winds. Or maybe that's just what us interior folks tell ourselves to feel better....

Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyman51 View Post
Had one of the warmest Januarys on record. Had temps up to 40 in Jan for a couple of days and lots of overflow on the river. Temps are back to normal or a little above 0-20 now, and we got some days below 0 to freeze things back up and a few inches of snow on the ice helped. Got some rain also in Jan. and had about 1/2 inch or more of ice on everything. Not a lot of snow this year, only 18 or so inches of snowpack and the same of ice frozen on the river. Could be and early breakup if it gets too warm, otherwise 2 months or so before usual break up. Was touch and go with where the Iditarod would start because of low snowfall in the pass and burn, but they are leaving Willow as usual. Will be some hard trails.
Except that it was not even close to the warmest January on record.

The above temperature graph is for Anchorage, January 2014. On just five days during January the temperature in Anchorage got close to the record high. You must be brand new to Alaska to not know about the Chinook Winds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska