Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 PM

9 posts, read 13,256 times

Advertisements

@Rntim,thanks for the info,silverbay was the first company i applied for this year,they sent me an email to attend a recruiting event,but the closest event to fl was in New Mexico,so i had to pass and go to the event for trident instead.

Im putting in my 2 weeks notice at my current job early may,so i can go where i please if need be.If i showed up in Sitka with maybe enough cash to survive for 3 weeks if thngs went south,do you think it'd be pretty easy to get hired by sitka sound seafoods say come late may?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 03:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
All the information that you're looking for can be found by following the link I posted -- and then following other links within that thread and doing searches on the forum.

There really isn't anyone here who can help you get a job in a cannery. Not even me.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:17 PM

@Metlakatla,Im simply here looking for people to point me in the right direction,networking would be nice,but im more than willing to pull my own weight!!!

Incase i cant have anything lined up before i depart for AK,informing me of a place in AK,where im more likely to land a job in a cannery would really help.

Im willing to fly up,but only if i have a chance of actually landing something upon arrival,anywhere in the aleutian or surrounding areas would be ideal.

The link you gave wow lol,that guy was a real kidder lol.
I totally understand where you're coming from.Keep in mind im in Fl,why would i buy gear and supplies like this if i didnt plan on coming up? Fl is hot and humid,no need for 15 oz jackets,snow/waterproof boots,insulated coveralls etc etc.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:27 PM

284 posts, read 405,340 times
holeshot, the guys I spoke of got off the ferry here last April & were working within two weeks at Sitka seafood. Hope you heard of xtratuff work boots, we call'em Sitka sneakers. Now, I'm not at all implying to just show up and get a job type thing, its one story that worked out for these young guys. Do remember, its expensive to support yourself for even a few weeks here and only two ways in and out--plane or boat. Can compare living in the Keys to living here. Me and the missus did for a couple years but we have pretty decent paying jobs. We lived in Key Largo and commuted to Homestead. Reason I posted the numbers was maybe if ya call'em direct, they might be able to answer a question or two for you. My kid did the longlining out of Dutch for a few years thru an outfit out of Seattle and got hired by phone and had to pass a drug test upon arrival in Seattle then flew him out. As I've said, I'm not at all an authority on the subject. I watch boats going out all day now out my living room window; they are amping up for sure. I imagine all SE ports are doing he same. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2014, 10:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
OK, on the off chance that you are serious, apply here:

E. C. Phillips and Son Inc. - Producers of quality seafood products

Get your application in now. It's smaller company that's owned by long-term Alaskans who'll treat you better than these giant outfits. Most of the work doesn't start until the middle of June, though, but there's some black cod and halibut openings coming up this month.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-10-2014 at 11:38 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 AM

@Rntim,Thanks for the heads up on the boots,the boots in the pic are columbias served me well last year in AK until someone stole them on the ferry.

I applied with North Pacific last night,for the herring and salmon seasons.we'll see how that goes.

Again,i think this entire ordeal has more to do with my impatience than companies responding.Thanks for all the info man,though still proceeding with original plans,will do so with caution.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:12 PM

634 posts, read 897,767 times
OP, it wouldn't hurt to emphasize your willingness to travel from Florida when applying, a lot of the Seattle based companies stick to the west coast when recruiting. Herring season is coming up, and much of the recruitment was back in January, I don't have all the details but there were changes to the foreign student program, many fisheries state on their websites that they can't hire them anymore translating to perhaps a shortage of workers ??? I'm not sure, but worth checking into.

Salmon is probably your best bet at this point, keep a close eye on Craig's List ads under the major west coast cities, and again, state in a cover letter your seriousness and that your not just slumming.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:31 AM

@Garethe,Thanks for the advice,however with salmon season nearing,limited funds,and my current employer reluctance to give me time off.

My only logical options seem to be #1,fly to seattle attend many interviews and hope one bites,or #2,travel to Alaska,im thinking naknek is my best bet,and apply in person,and maybe get hired sameday,its a gamble,but im not to sane these days,Lol.

I think last year or was it 2012? Ak,cut down on the j1 visa program,making it alot tougher to import your workforce.My time in petersburg last year seems to confirm this,though still diverse,many of the people there were americans or in the process of gaining citizenship.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:23 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,633 times
There are quit a few seafood processing plants that will be hiring in the next couple months. Although you won't be able to attend, you can find out who is hiring by looking at the recruitment events for seafood processors at the state job centers by going here:
Job Fairs, Recruitments, and Workshops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska