Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 AM

276 posts, read 848,857 times

Advertisements

I am going to go back to school and wondered what professions are most needed there. If I can come with a valuable tool to help improve the state I would like to. I have always wanted to be a Special Education teacher and thought I might do that if it is a needed area.

Thanks

Faith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 01:10 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Here in Bethel, the Lower Kuskokwim School District and a few other districts are in need of sped teachers. Heres a few sites.

Home of LKSD Lower Kuskokwim Schools

Lower Yukon School District - Alaska (broken link) Lower Yukon Schools

Kuspuk School District Mid Kuskokwim Schools

Yupiit School District Yupiit Schools-Akiachak Ak

Old 10-22-2007, 02:34 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,576 times
If you specialize in spec ed you can go almost anywhere in the country.
Do you teach now or just starting out? If just starting try everything.

Do as much subbing as you can to get a feel for what you really like.

So many people go into teaching and then realize they can't hack it.

But working with kids can be fun(most of the time ) and there's nothing like knowing you were able to really help them.

Good Luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:35 PM

276 posts, read 848,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
If you specialize in spec ed you can go almost anywhere in the country.
Do you teach now or just starting out? If just starting try everything.

Do as much subbing as you can to get a feel for what you really like.

So many people go into teaching and then realize they can't hack it.

But working with kids can be fun(most of the time ) and there's nothing like knowing you were able to really help them.

Good Luck!
It's just a thought right now, the local community college has a nice program to start with. I have taught Sunday School on Sundays in the past and loved it (even though it was only one day a week). I just have alot of patience and have a way with special needs people and the people that others just push off

Old 10-22-2007, 07:24 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,488,609 times
Default don't forget medicine

Don't forget medicine, nursing, physical therapy, all of the ancillary professions. There's not a hospital in the state that's not looking for nurses, I'd bet. Best yet, nursing has a national board instead of a local or regional, and you can work as a traveller for whatever period you like, as many places as you like, until you find one that suits your needs. It's the ultimate portable profession.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,179,576 times
Yep, rotorhead is right! First person I met up here was a traveling nurse. She goes all over and seems to enjoy it. And I know they are always looking for nurses. Teachers, Nurses both needed all over!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:08 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
Don't forget medicine, nursing, physical therapy, all of the ancillary professions. There's not a hospital in the state that's not looking for nurses, I'd bet. Best yet, nursing has a national board instead of a local or regional, and you can work as a traveller for whatever period you like, as many places as you like, until you find one that suits your needs. It's the ultimate portable profession.
+1. I have a traveling nurse friend who works in Anchorage two weeks, takes two weeks off, then flies to Fairbanks and works there for two weeks. It's very lucrative for her. Traveling nursing pays better than regular nursing

Old 03-24-2014, 09:10 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,307,222 times
My wife took a travel nurse job in Alaska this last spring\summer. We plan on doing it again. Her travel contract in Arizona is done October 1st. Now the question is, head back up to Alaska in October or wait till March or April. Last summer we did homer and palmer/wasilla. This next time we are going to the interior. Hopefully fairbanks, but are considering Nome and Kotzebue as well. Being a travel nurse is an awesome way to see Alaska. The travel reimbursement really helps offset the huge fuel bill on the way up. Almost every hospital my wife has been a travel nurse at offers her a permanent job. We always have to respectfully decline because of our slightly nomadic tendencies. However, after spending 6 months back in Arizona and all the craziness, we might just take them up on a permanent job offer in Alaska. We literally think about Alaska all day everyday. It is like a bad dream that doesn't go away We will be back either in October or spring 2015. I am going to kiss the ground when I cross over from Canada and proclaim to my wife that we aren't leaving this time. Sorry for the rant..... Travel nursing is a great Alaska profession.

Old 03-24-2014, 09:49 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,968,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
We literally think about Alaska all day everyday. It is like a bad dream that doesn't go away .
OMG, I can so relate. My husband and I own property in Wasilla, but we live in Texas most of the year. I lived in Anchorage as a kid, and never forgot my love for Alaska, but we can only be there a little bit each year. I miss Alaska so much it is like an ache in my heart. To add insult to injury (literally) I get bad migraine headaches, and hot weather makes them much worse. But my husband's job keeps us in Texas most of the year. I have bugged him nonstop for us to move to Wasilla permanently. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. He works in the oil industry, and his current job is looking not so hot (lol). Since we rent our home we can move pretty easily. I'm hoping soon we can relocate for good. . .

Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 PM

406 posts, read 756,654 times
Anything but government work...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska