Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:42 AM

201 posts, read 822,948 times

Advertisements

I took some pictures of a recent storm in our town and several friends have remarked on one photo in particular. Not the beautiful landscape or scenery... but this one. Legend has it the sign is upside down so that after you have too much fun in the Alaskan, should you find yourself waking up on the sidewalk you need only look up to see where you are. Anyone else have some fun Alaskan bar, pub, or hole in the wall photos to share?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 08:56 AM

103 posts, read 353,181 times
Funny, I was working in the room right behind the sign when you took the picture.

The city hangs any banners they put up on our light pole upside down as well - we thought about doing upside down Christmas decorations, but . . .

There are quite a few good legends about the Alaskan since it is the same age as Cordova, and has operated continuously since the town was built here on this site in 1908.

Thanks for the advertisement

Come in the bar sometime . . .

Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 AM

201 posts, read 822,948 times
Hey Barnacle- we don't get out often but when we do, we always pick the Alaskan! Do you work in the bar or the store? I was in the store tonight, picked up a 6 of IPA...

We actually heard about it way back when we were in South Carolina, a guy we knew there had been up here on a job and had found the Alaskan and heard the story of the bar being imported back at the turn of the 19th/20th century. Neat stuff!

Old 12-13-2007, 02:12 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,415,619 times
Great picture

This spring my dad was training crew members on the Chenega so I rode the boat with him so I could see Prince William Sounds, and we stayed the night in Cordova. It is a nice little town, we had some awesome pizza their. We ended up being there the night of prom, and luckily the kids kept the noise down

Old 12-13-2007, 06:05 PM

200 posts, read 717,747 times
Nice photo

Old 12-13-2007, 10:49 PM

103 posts, read 353,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquariusmom View Post
Hey Barnacle- we don't get out often but when we do, we always pick the Alaskan! Do you work in the bar or the store? I was in the store tonight, picked up a 6 of IPA...

We actually heard about it way back when we were in South Carolina, a guy we knew there had been up here on a job and had found the Alaskan and heard the story of the bar being imported back at the turn of the 19th/20th century. Neat stuff!
Aquarius-

Actually, I work in a maintenance capacity with the owner Dave. I live upstairs, and when something breaks, I fix it. We have several larger projects going on that we work on when we have time - one of these is the replacement of all the original windows in the building (8 down, about 50 to go). When you took the picture I was replacing the carpet in room 11, which is right above the store. I also run the oyster farm out at Windy Bay, but that is mostly between April and October. When we have oysters, we sell them in the store - I think Dave may be getting some for Christmas, but I will be gone, so I am not sure of that.

The bar itself came around the Horn sometime around the turn of the century. It was originally in Katalla, and came down the river 1908 (I believe). When the Alaskan was first built, the bar was where the store is now, and the current bar location was the hotel lobby. The building was originally two stories, with the third being added in 1910.

When you come into the bar, you can ask to see the history page, which is kept in a drawer.

Dave (who is not the superstitious type) swears that the place is haunted, but in a good way. Apparently, on at least one occasion, the ghost(s) got his attention just when something serious was going wrong (fire starting in the boiler room). I haven't seen any ghosts, but I love the building very much.

I don't know if you drink wine, but we generally get a few people for Wine on Wednesday 5-7 pm.

Glad you like the place

Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,886,436 times
Red face Couldn't resist

http://www.dandahl.net/Photo%20Gallery/images/112_1214.JPG (broken link)

Old 12-15-2007, 09:31 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,429 times
Another quality Alaskan establishment.
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9372/pc150004dd5.jpg (broken link)

To read the Warning sign closer follow this link.
http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?i...c150002vj0.jpg

Old 12-15-2007, 09:39 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,886,436 times
Happy Bears!!

Did you know that smoking is going to be banned in Juneau bars? I think that's effective on Jan 1st, but not sure. Part of our clean air initiative.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:10 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,441,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Happy Bears!!

Did you know that smoking is going to be banned in Juneau bars? I think that's effective on Jan 1st, but not sure. Part of our clean air initiative.
You should of been with me when I went inside, pretty cool place, and definetly adult themed. No not resque, just not PG 13!

I think all the legislation of smoking in bars specifically is a waste of $ and effort. Personally I let my $ tell the establishments if I like smoking or not.

I prefer nonsmoking places and avoid the others. The government should leave the bars alone. The patrons will deal with it from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska