Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:22 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,886,848 times

Advertisements

Yes, unfortunately Western Alaska got left off the route because of lack of roads, and Northern Alaska got left off because of lack of roads Google wants to let me drive on!
Driving the haul road is high on my list of things to do before I get too old though. Maybe in a year or two when things have settled down a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 07:01 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,119,402 times
Haul road would be fun. I've only got half way to the Yukon north of Fairbanks. One summer I seen the headwaters of the Yukon in the Yukon and the mouth at Kotlik and Alakanuk, that was cool. Drove over it in the Yukon and flew to the mouth later that summer for work.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:17 PM

I've been swimming in the Yukon river, outside of Whitehorse. Really a beautiful area.

Old 12-08-2007, 08:27 PM

Marsh Lake south of Whitehorse

Old 12-08-2007, 10:24 PM

103 posts, read 353,203 times
Thanks for the great itinerary!!!

I have always thought something like this would be cool:

From Los Angeles, Bay Area, etc.

- Ride Amtrak Coast Starlight to Seattle, connect on bus to Bellingham
- Ferry to Juneau, then Whittier (not always possible)
- ferry to Cordova - camp, hike, fish, kayak, etc. - fish early kings/reds, make a few bucks
- ferry to Valdez or Whittier, train from Whittier or hitch from Valdez - Anchorage
- fly to Bristol Bay, fish reds - Late June- late July -make some money
- Anchorage, then Kenai - drive to Homer, or ride train to Seward
- Kayak out of Homer or Seward, spend a few days camping in the area, back to Anchorage
- Train Anchorage to Fairbanks, stop at Denali, others
- Explore, go north with rental car or hitching, back around Fairbanks
- drive/hitch South on Alcan - done

Obviously missing huge parts of Alaska, but kinda cool, perhaps on a working-as-you-go budget

Last edited by barnacle9; 12-08-2007 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: changed itinerary - more logical

Old 12-08-2007, 10:26 PM

I'll just drive...........

Old 12-08-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnacle9 View Post
Thanks for the great itinerary!!!

I have always thought something like this would be cool:

From Los Angeles, Bay Area, etc.

- Ride Amtrak Coast Starlight to Seattle, connect on bus to Bellingham
- Ferry to Juneau, then Whittier (not always possible)
- Train Whittier to Anchorage to Fairbanks
- Explore, go north with rental car or hitching
- drive/hitch South, hit Denali and several other places
- fly to Bristol Bay, fish reds - Late June- late July -make some money
- Anchorage, then Kenai - drive to Homer, or ride train to Seward
- Kayak out of Homer or Seward, spend a few days camping in the area
- back to Whittier, ferry to Cordova - camp, hike, fish, kayak, etc.
- Cordova to Valdez, drive/hitch Alcan South to Vancouver, etc.

Obviously missing huge parts of Alaska, but kinda cool, perhaps on a working-as-you-go budget
That would be cool indeed. There are one or two sections of my intinerary that could be done via train... I believe there is a train to Fairbanks from... somewhere. I forget.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:49 PM

103 posts, read 353,203 times
I suppose it would be responsible of me to mention that the itinerary I just posted, with fishing jobs/hitching, etc. would not be realistic for many people.

There is no guarantee of any fishing job, ever, even for the experienced.

Also, hitchhiking in Alaska, while likely easier and safer than most areas down South, comes with inherent risks and uncertainties.

This is the sort of thing I would like to do, but I have experience, I know people, and it would still be a risky venture . . .

nevertheless, what an adventure!

Please do not attempt this unless you have some good, concrete reasons for believing you can pull it off!!!!

Note: I am now editing this post to tell you that I edited my earlier post, changing the itinerary. Xa'at quoted the original version. or, who really cares? :-)

Last edited by barnacle9; 12-08-2007 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: obvious by reading

Old 12-09-2007, 03:16 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
The ultimate AK vacation for me would include:

1. Gold detecting in Nome
2. Deer hunting in Kodiak
3. Metal detecting in some of the old Japanese and American WWII campsites
4. Some metal detecting around the old campsites used by the Richardson Highway's work crews back in the early 1900's
5. King salmon winter fishing off Homer
6. Moose hunting in September
7. Gold detecting around some of the mining claims near Circle
8. Staying at a remote and comfortable log cabin for a week or two, near a lake I can land an airplane, where I can fish, hunt. Also, where I can enjoy some good food, and relax by the fire as I zip some Southern AU cabernet red wine, accompanied by my wife No traffic, no noise except for the noises we make, not other people around, no telephones, no computers, TV, etc.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The ultimate AK vacation for me would include:

1. Gold detecting in Nome
2. Deer hunting in Kodiak
3. Metal detecting in some of the old Japanese and American WWII campsites
4. Some metal detecting around the old campsites used by the Richardson Highway's work crews back in the early 1900's
5. King salmon winter fishing off Homer
6. Moose hunting in September
7. Gold detecting around some of the mining claims near Circle
8. Staying at a remote and comfortable log cabin for a week or two, near a lake I can land an airplane, where I can fish, hunt. Also, where I can enjoy some good food, and relax by the fire as I zip some Southern AU cabernet red wine, accompanied by my wife No traffic, no noise except for the noises we make, not other people around, no telephones, no computers, TV, etc.
Sounds like fun... I have to admit the first time I read it I thought it said Cold detecting in Nome. I was going to say, "That shouldn't be too hard"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska