Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 9,253 times

Advertisements

Got a parcel on deadman, lots of good information in this thread. Did not buy the land in preperation of moving or building on it anytime soon. Want to save and eventually put a cabin out there that i can utilize in the summer. Any additional information would be wonderful and any friendly contacts to help me through the process as well.

Cheers,

David
Parcel 10, North Side Near Telegraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM

406 posts, read 755,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2378 View Post
Got a parcel on deadman, lots of good information in this thread. Did not buy the land in preperation of moving or building on it anytime soon. Want to save and eventually put a cabin out there that i can utilize in the summer. Any additional information would be wonderful and any friendly contacts to help me through the process as well.

Cheers,

David
Parcel 10, North Side Near Telegraph.
Just let me know what you want to know.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Just going through this thread I get a pretty good idea what I am looking at. You mentioned back many pages that you own property and land on deadman. Could you explain to me what a normal day out there is like? What you have, what is not needed, needed that you would not in less remote locations. Is there any chance that the roads leading to deadman will at anytime be drivable or is it always only going to be accessable via plane, snow machine, etc? I assume you own a cabin out there, what type, kind? Is it moderate or larger, how about the others on the lake? Power sources, is everyone using solar, wind, etc? How awesome is it out there in summer? I used to live in alaska for a few years during my time in service, always wanted to pick up some remote land, maybe even a plane, and eventually be able to tool around. Do you or does anyone spend there time there in the winter or does everyone pretty much work in town and than spend there time in the summer. Permafrost, tell me about it, spent time on denali, familiar with its challenges, spongy, some of the toughest terrain I ever hiked on. Foundations, what is common practice out there? North Side of lake, are you familiar with it, the plots? Can you speak on behalf of the area that mine is in, what I am looking at possibly? Parcel 10 is on the front side of the lots as opposed to the backside, i figured that the backside would be much more raw, hence the reason i went with the frontside. Look forward to learning as much as possible about it, thanks for your time.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 PM

oh and did the guy english nurse in this thread ever make it up there? I was really enjoying his posts in here. It would be great to have some acquaintances when I decide to start working on this project. Thanks All.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,733,959 times
Quote:
oh and did the guy english nurse in this thread ever make it up there? I was really enjoying his posts in here. It would be great to have some acquaintances when I decide to start working on this project. Thanks All.
yes English Nurse made it up...do a search within this forum and you will find him and his updates

Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 PM

I have been going out to Deadman since the mid 80's. I can't even remember what year I bought the property. It was a 20 year loan.

"A normal Day at Deadman" the sun comes up (late in winter early in summer) and goes down; in between the wind blows a little sometimes real hard sometimes! Mostly out of the northeast and sometimes it is calm. Not sure what you are looking for on that question?

It will be generations if not longer before a road is built into the area. At least that is what most of the people that have property out there are hoping!

Power, some solar, some wind. Nobody uses power all the time as in a freezer. You could but you would need a good generator and a bunch of money to pay for fuel and getting it there.

Nice out there; the lake level is the lowest I have ever seen it this year. No snow or rain.

There have been folks that have lived out there, all year long for a few years at a time. There isn't anyone doing that right now.

I have been around your parcel in the winter mostly. It is soft over there in summer. There is a cabin up on the hill over there I have not met the folks that built that one.

Most of the cabins out there are built out of stick lumber it is easier than building out of logs. Less time consuming.

I have emailed the english nurse but have not met him yet.

I want to go out to the lake this weekend!

Old 06-25-2010, 01:39 AM

thanks for the answers, as far as the road goes, I could really care less if one was ever built, though it would make things much easier for atleast getting the materials in there to set up shop. How often do you head out there, few times a year? I mentioned foundations, do you know what the general consensus is given the terrain? What is the easiest way to get the materials in, i assume taking time and energy into account, float would be easiest...how costly is it to have the done, just a general figure.

Anything else you care to share?

So english nurse got to deadman and built the cabin? Excellent

Old 06-25-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
thanks for the answers, as far as the road goes, I could really care less if one was ever built, though it would make things much easier for atleast getting the materials in there to set up shop. How often do you head out there, few times a year? I mentioned foundations, do you know what the general consensus is given the terrain? What is the easiest way to get the materials in, i assume taking time and energy into account, float would be easiest...how costly is it to have the done, just a general figure.

Anything else you care to share?

So english nurse got to deadman and built the cabin? Excellent
By far the easiest way to get materials into the lake is fly them in. It costs a bit more. The bigger the plane the more cost effective. There has been 5 trips to the lake by a DC-3. But it isn't flying anymore.
The next best way is to drag stuff in by snowmachine.

The english nurse has not been out to the lake yet that I know of; maybe he will chime in here he is living outside of Palmer.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:36 AM

I have started up conversation with Friesens Custom Cabins. I might just hire them to do it and say the hell with it. They have some reasonable pricing on the cabins with labor included. The only question being how much more it will cost to have it built out at deadman. I am not overly concerned about it. I was originally thinking that I would wait out atleast 5 years but I may move on it sooner than that, really excited. This has been a goal of mine for SOOOO long man. Never had the financial means to do it till now. Also thinking I might fly up in August and get in there and see what I am dealing with. Flights are not too bad based on where i was looking. How do you get in there in the summer, just hike on in? Weather in August hold up well?

What kind of water set up do you have on yours or what is everyone else using? Is yours lakefront? Any thoughts on wood stoves? Any links to wind and solar that other folks have used?

I am guessing you just live in fairbanks and spend your spare time on the lake? How is the fishing?

I cannot wait to get out of this New World Order nonsense down here in the states. Time to leave it all behind.

Yes hopefully English jumps in, need all the advice I get. This is about the only place on the web where Deadman conversation is happening.

Cheers

Old 06-26-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I have started up conversation with Friesens Custom Cabins. I might just hire them to do it and say the hell with it. They have some reasonable pricing on the cabins with labor included. The only question being how much more it will cost to have it built out at deadman. I am not overly concerned about it. I was originally thinking that I would wait out atleast 5 years but I may move on it sooner than that, really excited. This has been a goal of mine for SOOOO long man. Never had the financial means to do it till now. Also thinking I might fly up in August and get in there and see what I am dealing with. Flights are not too bad based on where i was looking. How do you get in there in the summer, just hike on in? Weather in August hold up well?

What kind of water set up do you have on yours or what is everyone else using? Is yours lakefront? Any thoughts on wood stoves? Any links to wind and solar that other folks have used?

I am guessing you just live in fairbanks and spend your spare time on the lake? How is the fishing?

I cannot wait to get out of this New World Order nonsense down here in the states. Time to leave it all behind.

Yes hopefully English jumps in, need all the advice I get. This is about the only place on the web where Deadman conversation is happening.

Cheers
I have looked at Friesens web sight sounds like a nice way to go if you have the money.

As far as drinking water; there have been several attempts at putting in wells by hand pounding sand points, only one came up with water and it had poor quality and quit after a while. There was one attempt with a drill contraption that went on for several days and it hit artesian water but it went through permafrost and it quit too. So we use lake water and purify it, or haul it in. In winter I prefer to use snow.

Aug is some times refereed to as the monsoon month but you never know! Your best bet is just to charter a drop off and pick up to the lake by float plane.

Wood heat is the norm. There is a place here in Fairbanks that can set you up with solar and wind power it is pricey. Most of the ones I have seen have been put together buy the owners. Not much wind generation in use, that I have seen around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska