Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,439 times

Advertisements

Read the forums it sound alot of people like Idea and lot think it is bad investment.I think it alaska at its best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,496 times
Default Looking at Deadmans lake area

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph08 View Post
Read the forums it sound alot of people like Idea and lot think it is bad investment.I think it alaska at its best
Do you have property there? I am looking to purchase property there maybe. I have read thru the post here and seems its up and down for the are. But you are right its Alaska!!!

Old 08-25-2016, 12:16 AM

404 posts, read 747,165 times
It is sold...............

Old 09-14-2018, 11:33 PM

9 posts, read 6,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English_Nurse View Post
Good old Google searches. I punched in Deadman Lake and waded through all the entries. A half dozen people listed it on their online travel diaries as a place they stopped on their roadtrip in their RV.

I know its a risk. But there are already 12 cabins on the lake, so I'd have to be particularly unlucky to get the parcel that you can't build on.

It's going to be very hard to pull it off. I realize that. But the alternative right now is me continuing to live a directionless and thankless life. Paying the mortgage till my old age, for a view of my backyard.

This is a big chance, the wife has only agreed to it on the basis that I go there for a few months at a time.

Maybe it won't work out. Maybe I'll get there and freeze my balls off and be miserably lonely. The cabin will collapse. The ground will be a swamp. My wife will divorce me. I'll loose money and go broke, broker than I am now. Eaten by a bear or some other bizarre Alaskan fate like eating mouldy potato seeds and starving to death.

But the flip side, the possibility that the land is buildable, I manage to build a cabin that could be liveable, I actually like the peace and quiet and solitude and hard living, it reinstalls a sense of meaning into my life, maybe even the wife and kids will see the same things I do and we could all make a go of it. Or maybe it would just be somewhere I could go for a few months of the year to stay sane.

Alternatives are few and far between.

If I live to be an old man, I'll regret never having tried. If I die in the process (drama queen here) then I'll have died trying to do something I believed in.

I bet a million people think they can escape to Alaska, the Last Frontier, to try to find a new way of life. I bet the Native Alaskans think they're idiots. But, that's the draw of the state. For some people it works and they stay. I've lived in small towns, podunk nowhere towns and big cities. I didn't much like any of them. So the backwoods wilds of nowhere might work. If you want my psychological profile I fit the bill: Restless, idealistic, needs a sense of purpose.

Modern living sucks your soul dry. You can't avoid it. It's a consumer culture. Popstars and celebrities are worshiped like Gods. Every great pioneer in our history is just some dusty old quaint weirdo. Kids just want to play X Box all day.

Frankly, I think humans come into their own in times of adversity. The biggest challenge for me is getting out of bed to go and do the same old thing day in day out. Looking after sick Californians who have retired up to Oregon. It makes me question why I'm nursing half the people I nurse back to health...

I also know all the good advice that people give: You'll still be 'in your head' in Alaska, just like you're 'in your head' in Oregon or England or wherever - and that you have to seek change inside yourself, not in your environment. Well, that's a surefire recipe for insanity. I've tried changing 'in my head', but then I go for a walk or go to work or turn on the tv and it all comes flooding back in.

I think that if there is the slightest chance that living in the wilds of Alaska could change how I feel, then it's worth a shot.

I'm glad it won't be easy. I like a challenge. I need a goal. This is the only one I can think of that's worth a shot right now. If anyone has any better suggestions I'm open to your advice.
I laughed when I read this because it so true.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:51 PM

9 posts, read 6,854 times
I like you dog

Old 09-16-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfpduffy View Post
I like you dog
He never made it here.

Old 10-11-2018, 12:48 AM

1 posts, read 422 times
Hey there Mitgreb, just wondering if you would wanna tell me about the land southeast of the lake? I believe there’s a hill, would you say it’s a good area to build on? Thanks

Old 10-11-2018, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet133 View Post
Hey there Mitgreb, just wondering if you would wanna tell me about the land southeast of the lake? I believe there’s a hill, would you say it’s a good area to build on? Thanks
Give me a call.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:09 AM

1 posts, read 397 times
For me it sound like a lot of people think it is bad investment.I think that Alaska is actually a great place to invest both in property and business.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:05 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,932,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saytotarsach2018 View Post
For me it sound like a lot of people think it is bad investment.I think that Alaska is actually a great place to invest both in property and business.
Good chance though a shortage of land is not foreseeable. The economy is mostly oil and gas which likely has a few decades left in it. Though there are rattlings about a new super battery by John Goodenough, 94 year old professor at the University of Texas. Good show old chap! Solar needs a super battery.

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/g...ery-technology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska