Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 07:43 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Who said anything about dissolving government? Government is inherently corrupt. It always has been, and it always will be, and there is nothing that can be done to change that.

The founding fathers wrote the US Constitution with the idea that at least the federal government should be limited in its power, and that the bulk of the power should reside with the States and/or the people. However, Lincoln changed all that with the Civil War and Congress has compounded the problem by removing the limitations the US Constitution placed on the federal government and usurping powers that are exclusively the province of the States.

Which is why the aphorism "that government is best which governs least" is the goal of most conservatives.

"Government is a necessary evil." Although I do not like using that phrase because it has religious connotations. I am not an anarchist by any means. Government is essential, it just should never ever be trusted with even the simplest tasks, and should be kept as small as possible.
Just making sure I understand where you are coming from... Sounded like you were upset about the way our government is run in total. Are you a Tea party person? That party tends to believe in the government that governs the least is most effective down to cutting basic services. I don't know if that is the case here or not. Seems like here in AK "services" are already stretched pretty thin.

And your last post about, "Go out and vote" I also agree with. The way our system is setup, popular vote rules the day and you pick the person that believes in the same things you do as close as possible. For me, it used to be there was hardly a "bad" candidate and nowadays (or at leas the past 15 years) it has been which candidate do I hate the least, with a rare exception. And I have been disappointed with that exception a few times as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:23 PM

2,676 posts, read 2,629,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
Term limits might help.
So the US government can be filled with the same upstanding politicians that California is

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014.../lyee-a04.html (3 California State Senators were suspended from the Senate this year for unrelated crimes)

(California has term limits)

Edit: Among the 3, Senator Yee takes the prize. He ran on a platform of very strict gun control. This is what he's charged with:

"Yee discussed helping the agent get weapons worth $500,000 to $2.5 million, including shoulder-fired missiles, and explained the entire process of acquiring them from a Muslim separatist group in the Philippines and bringing them to the US. "

Though to be fair to the Senator, I suppose shoulder-fired missiles aren't technically guns...

Old 09-24-2014, 11:02 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,201,327 times
Well, I don't now about our Government in general, but there are some deadweights in the EPA that should be fired, and new blood hired. The specific area I am referring to deals with "gasoline can safety," and those of us who have no choice but to use the EPA-approved new gasoline and diesel fuel cans understand what I am referring to.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:08 PM

Ray - The EPA gets an EPIC FAIL with 'L' to the forehead for that design... I don't think they could make one that doesn't make me spill more fuel if they tried.

I am keeping my old jugs as long as I can... And there are ways to make them better, even though it probably isn't technically legal to do so.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Term limits are unconstitutional imo. We (should) have a right to vote for the candidates of our choice no matter how long they've been in office. The incumbent is often the better choice.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:16 PM

Met - more of a devil you know is better than the one you don't?

Old 09-24-2014, 11:28 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,748,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Met - more of a devil you know is better than the one you don't?
No, it's more of I don't want limits placed on who I do or don't vote for. The thought behind term limits may be well-intentioned -- or not -- but to me it's just more nanny bs.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:35 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Term limits are unconstitutional imo. We (should) have a right to vote for the candidates of our choice no matter how long they've been in office. The incumbent is often the better choice.
Obviously when referring to congressional term limits it implies that there is an amendment to the US Constitution already ratified by the States. It would only be unconstitutional if States enacted laws, and not an amendment, that limits congressional terms. There are several proposed amendments limiting congressional terms currently pending in Congress as we speak, but do not hold your breath on getting any passed with the required two-thirds majority.

I agree that everyone eligible should be able to vote for whomever they want, as many times (in subsequent elections obviously) as they want. I am not a supporter of term limits, at any level. I consider it a voter cop-out, shirking one's civic duty in favor of apathy.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:10 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Well, I don't now about our Government in general, but there are some deadweights in the EPA that should be fired, and new blood hired. The specific area I am referring to deals with "gasoline can safety," and those of us who have no choice but to use the EPA-approved new gasoline and diesel fuel cans understand what I am referring to.

I was fussing about that very thing yesterday when I was filling my lawnmower.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 AM

575 posts, read 1,199,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Obviously when referring to congressional term limits it implies that there is an amendment to the US Constitution already ratified by the States. It would only be unconstitutional if States enacted laws, and not an amendment, that limits congressional terms. There are several proposed amendments limiting congressional terms currently pending in Congress as we speak, but do not hold your breath on getting any passed with the required two-thirds majority.

I agree that everyone eligible should be able to vote for whomever they want, as many times (in subsequent elections obviously) as they want. I am not a supporter of term limits, at any level. I consider it a voter cop-out, shirking one's civic duty in favor of apathy.

Wow...now this old gun hoarding, pistol packing veteran of 26 years who has voted in every local, state and national election since he's 18 is now placed in the category of "voter cop-out, shirking one's civic duty in favor of apathy."

(I will say since I was in Kuwait for a year in 2000, not sure if my absentee ballot got counted.)

Last edited by JoDan; 09-25-2014 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska