Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 06:56 PM

24 posts, read 63,644 times

Advertisements

Thanks, will get the goggles. I really only care to run to a bar though...j/k. I lived in Idaho in my 20's and it was often miserable, but as it was college, my tolerance level was fairly high. Fortunately, with age comes rotten vision so I will wear some sort of eye protection all the time anyway. As for the gvt stipend. I do really care about that. That would not be my intention for moving somewhere. If it were I would head for the mideast as a nurse. I want to move to a place where my husband and I dreamed of going. That was a common thought we shared when we met and one we discussed before his death. That is all. OK, now who wants to tell me all the evils that happen to your vehicle? Happy New Years everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:15 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Well all those evils must happen to everyone else. In the past I have always had newer vehicles, changed the oil, keep good tires on them, drive them for about 10 years and get the next one. Spend about 350 to 400 for winterizing, put in an autostart (girls best alaskan friend), I would even consider heated seats on the next one. Having a garage really helps on wear and tear. But my new truck has never been in a garage.

My personal opinion is don't buy GM, unless you really like to work on your cars. Toyotas have been the best, Subarus are like mosquitos up here, so must be pretty good too.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:22 PM

Thanks, I have a Mazda Tribute that handled well in the snow in NC. It is still newish. I will definitely drop an autostart in before making a move. I had wanted to do that before leaving NC. Getting in a cold car with scrubs on sucks. I will try to get out this week while it is "cold" in SW Louisiana and take some pictures of the locals in their winter finery. It will make you giggle.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 PM

18 posts, read 76,843 times
If you like a clean car then Alaska is not the place for you or your car. It is always dirty and I mean really dirty. So dirty you can not even read the license plate most of the time . It will be the cleanest when it is really cold as all moisture is frozen. when it starts warming it is a very long and slow melting process so during the day there is water everywhere and with all the dirt roads and parking lots which are everywhere there is this gray dirt and grime, so dirty spray and dust are the norm. If you wash your car it will be dirty by the end of the day if you don't drive it much. if you do it will be dirty in an hour. The cold does take its toll on batteries and the like. Alaska is great in the summer (4 months at the most) and the rest of the time its really cold and dark most of the time. Pretty depressing to me. I would go for June, July and august and then burn rubber getting out.

Here are some web cam links to enjoy

[/url]http://www.akmining.com/webcams.htm[/url]

Here is a pretty clean car

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d46/jstar1000/P3290293.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-01-2008, 09:49 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,440,771 times
Oh, your talking Anchorage, yes that part of the state always seems dirty to me too. mainly from the wind and dust of the mountains, and silt. One of the reasons I don't like the town. I could never keep my headlighs clean on the drive in. freeze, thaw, salt, freeze, thaw......

Nothing like a nice blanket of snow to cover up all the ugly!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:21 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen60 View Post
Are larger animals a real problem in smaller cities (rural areas)?
No. As long as you use a little common sense you shouldn't have any problems with the larger critters. If you see a moose in your yard (a common experience even in Anchorage) enjoy the view and don't pester the poor critter. It will eventually leave in search of twigs to munch. As to bears, don't put your garbage outside overnight and you are less likely to attract them. A little common sense will help a great deal to avoid unwanted encounters.

Quote:
Is it true that the weather eats your car, or is it just tough on them?
I bought a 1999 Saturn four years ago and put 25,000+ miles on it every year without any problems. I just make sure I change the oil every 3,500 miles and the air filter when necessary and it has served me well. There is very little salt used on Alaskan roads, so you won't have to worry about rust.

Quote:
Is all wheel drive acceptable or must it be 4x4 specific?
Except for a couple days when we got two feet of snow a few years ago, I have not had a need to use a 4x4. Naturally, you have to drive according to the conditions, which means keeping more distance between vehicles and drive slower in the winter, but a front-wheel drive sedan should serve you well if you don't live too far from a paved road.

Quote:
I read that ACS has pretty good cell usage, is it true?
In the Mat-Su Valley ACS' coverage is pretty good, but I will let others speak for the coverage of the Kenai Peninsula.

Quote:
If necessary, and say someone died and I had to leave the state, is it true that you can be stuck for sometime?
In the winter the weather can cause delays, just like in Chicago or Minnesota under similar conditions, but not anything excessive.

Quote:
What the hell is corneal frostbite? That one scared me.
Corneal frostbite is the actual freezing of the cornea. There is an increased incidence with activities such as snow machining which cause large amounts of cold air to pass against the cornea. It presents as decreased visual acuity and cloudy cornea. It is treated with corneal transplant. It is very rare, and as long as it isn't too cold and you are wearing eye-protection, you shouldn't have to be concerned.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:30 PM

Thanks Glitch for all the answers. I appreciate it very much.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Where is everybody?

Old 01-05-2008, 06:05 PM

200 posts, read 717,671 times
dunno, guess it is a lazy saturday... everyone's asleep

Old 01-05-2008, 08:30 PM

LOL, sleep well. Talk to you tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska