Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:13 AM

459 posts, read 585,248 times

Advertisements

You have watched too much TV and you're dreaming. You will lose your arse in a flash trying to be a "bush pilot" ... LOL. Pilots are a dime a dozen and so are A&P mechanics. You will not come close to the income you currently enjoy.

I think highlife2 pulled on the same joint you got hold of .... lol.

I flew for 32 years in Fairbanks and I also have an A&P/IA .... be very sure you have a good job and a contract before you make the move.

Evert's is about the only show for the larger AC and I doubt Robbie would pay you $20/hr unless you weree VERY qualified ... not likely on the equipment they run.

Stay put or you may find yourself in some serious trouble and don for a second "assume" the wife will make anywhere close to that $$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
If you are doing it on the side its a great way to make a little extra money. My instructor basicly teaches bush flying as a CFI in peoples own planes. He also has his own plane he instructs in as well. If you can get a guide licence there are alot of people that pay big money to go hunting but then your into insurance issues. So there is opprotuinty but you have to be careful because if you have to get special insurance it will eat your lunch. The insurnace is what kills most small operations becuase they cant get the volume to break even on it so alot of people keep it to people they know and trust. It makes the aviation community really clickish becuase I know of one case where a friend of the family took someone out in his experemental plane and one of the wings folded up about 20 ft above the ground on landing and his passenger was handicaped, now he is suing for huge amounts of money even though he knew the plane was experemental. There are a few horror stories floating around like that.

If you are an IA you could also make some side money doing owner assisted annuals as well, its really hard to find good mechanics who are avalible and are not going to fleece you (which is part of why some guys bush planes are WAY out of annual). We are lucky to have a mech in our hangar but he is retireing in a few months.

How do you teach "bush flying" ...lol.

Can you get a guide license on aisle 3 at WalMart or in teh automotive section? ... lol.

I have a CFII and never taught "bush flying". Maybe crash twice and roll it in a ball once then you're certified !

Why would any IA want to do an "owner assisted annual" ... that is plain stupid. If someone is too damn cheap to maintain their AC then they should not have one and why would they expect any mechanic or IA to do if for nothing ... good grief !

It is not nice to make stuff up that you clearly have absolutely no knowledge of. But then OP got what he wanted to hear.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:48 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post

Can you get a guide license on aisle 3 at WalMart or in teh automotive section? ... lol.

I have a CFII and never taught "bush flying". Maybe crash twice and roll it in a ball once then you're certified !

Why would any IA want to do an "owner assisted annual" ... that is plain stupid. If someone is too damn cheap to maintain their AC then they should not have one and why would they expect any mechanic or IA to do if for nothing ... good grief !

It is not nice to make stuff up that you clearly have absolutely no knowledge of. But then OP got what he wanted to hear.
Good thing you won't be his neighbor if he decides to move. Nice attitude.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:19 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:

Perhaps you should chill-out a little?

The only way that you can safely "bush fly" in Alaska is by being thought to do it by other pilots. Per capita Alaska has the largest number of pilots in the US. We simply don't have road access to most villages in AK.

This is one of a great number of companies who offer bush pilot courses:
Alaska Floats & Skis - Float Plane Ratings & Bush Pilot Courses

Last edited by RayinAK; 10-21-2014 at 10:29 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 06:58 AM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Don't know much about that industry, but I also made the move from Memphis to Alaska. Questions about comparative culture/costs, etc... I might could help out with.

Is that your wife's take home pay? That's around what, $16.34 an hour after deductions/withholdings? I would say that's a somewhat tough salary to achieve here in Alaska in general, especially at first. What's her line of work?

Old 10-22-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Good thing you won't be his neighbor if he decides to move. Nice attitude.

Realistic is the term you're looking for instead of BS sugar coating.

Are you they type to mislead folks based on your absolute lack of knowledge? Sounds like it.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Perhaps you should chill-out a little?

The only way that you can safely "bush fly" in Alaska is by being thought to do it by other pilots. Per capita Alaska has the largest number of pilots in the US. We simply don't have road access to most villages in AK.

This is one of a great number of companies who offer bush pilot courses:
Alaska Floats & Skis - Float Plane Ratings & Bush Pilot Courses

No chill out required ... why would you offer advice on important things that you apparently have absolutely no knowledge of?

Good grief ..... are you serious. You really think running a cub around and doing a few landings on some gravel bars makes you a "bush pilot". You think flying into Talkeetna, Healey, Cantwell is "bush flying" ... lol. That outfit is selling a vacation with a little flying for fun.

I lived in Fairbanks for 38 years and flew small AC 11,000 + hours in cubs, C-180, C-206, C-185's, C-310's and helicopters on floats, wheels, skis and I learned a thing or two. I remember Talkeetna when Sheldon was runing the cub up McKinley for the treck folks. Look at the place today and the "parks Highway" ... makes you want to puke and now we have "bush pilot training" too ..... good grief

My response to OP is damn solid advice based on his statements ... he will starve to death and in the process and give up a good position to do it. Folks should talk straight and give facts and no BS like your link and suggestiong that you are now a "bush pilot" because you did some sandbar landings or tundra landings .... BFD and that has absolutely NOTHING to do with being a good pilot in the mountianeous areas with small AC which will take 500 hours of experience, more than most folks get in a lifetime.

@jabogitlu ... I agree and think unless there is a really good skill set she will have a difficult time duplication that income for some time. That will further compound OP's difficulty and they will be significantly downgrading their lifestyle ... and perhaps debt.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:18 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Have you looked into positions with FAA or FAA contractors?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:

Wow, your not someone I would want in my brainstorming group. Thats really downer.

Any good mehcanic with his own shop thats not charging outragious bill rates can do well up here and if you work with owners instead of telling them they should not own a plane becuase they dont want to pay 5 grand for an annual you will do well. I pay 1k for my annual every year, if something needs to be done I just do it and my mechanic just inspects it but im also a licenced engineer so its not like im an idiot.

Rexlans attutide is actually typical for alaska aviation so if you (the OP) work with people you will clean up. I would save up to get yourself a hangar to operate out of and set up your tools. Maybe start off working for a major until you build up your clientell. It wont take long because Rexlan is your competion.

Dont get me wrong there are some great mechanics up here (I obviously have found a few) but they are harder to find. The good mechanics understand that 90% of pilots and owner are not rich doctors flying bonanzas or brand new 206's but guys like rex treat us all the same and it just alientes the very people you are trying to get work from.

I depanel and strip down my entire plane and my mechanic makes a thousand bucks for a long days worth of work doing the inpection, not too shabby. Thats like 3 times what I make as an engineer.

Bush flying encompasses the following - mountian flying, float flying, learning to judge a landing area that is not an official run way, short field take offs and landings, more complex weather issues depending where you are flying, ski flying, dead reckoning, short day light during winter, tail wheel endorsment, etc.

Lots of things to learn, I have seen one pilot in my hangar ball up 2 planes in last 3 years trying to be a bush pilot with limited training. I am sure she had many close calls before her first wreck that should have prompted her to get more training.

So the outlook is good for the mechanic aspect but you also have the issues of high cost of living in the valley anch bowl area which is a whole other issue. I actually seen one hangar home for sale on birchwood for 350k that you could have operated a buisness out of. I would save up while you are down there becuase if you can buy a shop/hangar home on one of the airports up here that will take you out of the real estate game up here which is the biggest draw back of alaska. Or buy a hangar home on one of the private strips in the valley.

Last edited by highlife2; 10-22-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 07:06 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,226,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Have you looked into positions with FAA or FAA contractors?
FAA is down sizing and I heard rumor they are going to get gutted even more as the fed govt is slowly becoming insolvent and FAA is one of the lower prioriteis. It might be worth a scan on USA jobs or email the FSDO or ACO. Typically the ACO requires a degree in engineering becuase they are dealing with STC's and TC's. Maybe the FSDO but then that may hurt your ability to start your own busisness becuase alot of pilots dont always follow the rules to the T so you may loose buisness if they find you work for the FSDO. Like guys that decide 5 years later they want to get an annual done and fly into your shop, technically thats illegal and they dont want to get slapped if they know you work for the FSDO.

There are alot of guys that do this becuase there are so many mechanics like rex in this state that are antagonistic to the weekend flyer who is only doing it as a hobbie and does not have unlimited money to throw out the window. Most pilots want to do the right thing but tehy are not going to sell their first born child to get an annual so they just fly without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska