Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 08:40 PM

7 posts, read 11,608 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I'm not really a Texan. I moved to Texas from Michigan and was born in Ohio. I miss both Michigan and Ohio but I from what I've seen of Alaska through tv and pictures I like the idea of rural Alaska. I miss the cold climate and I'm a avid hunter. Raising kids in rural Alaska appeals to me because they will be away from the Twitter generation currently plaguing the lower 48 and I'm sure some of Alaska as well.

If we sell our house we would have a nice chunk of change to get started with but I'm still concerned about cost of living. My wife(Native Texan) has racked up a pretty good amount of student loans, however I did read there may be forgiveness programs for rural teachers.
What are property taxes like in rural Alaska?
I'd like to live cheap and get out of the student loan dept, does this sound feasible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 11:54 AM

863 posts, read 2,077,852 times
You need to specify what you mean by "rural." That could refer to somewhere like the Mat-Su, outskirts of Fairbanks, or Kenai Peninsula, which are most like rural areas in the lower 48 (meaning quite well developed by Alaska standards, with chain stores, high speed internet, etc). Then there's the really small, more remote towns on the road system, with 1000-5000 residents or so, basic services, spotty internet, etc (Talkeetna, Nenana, Delta, Tok, Glennallen, Valdez, etc). Down on the coast, there are several towns of roughly this size and development, but connected by state ferries rather than roads (Cordova, Sitka, Petersburg, Wrangell, etc). Then there's a few very small places out at the end of gravel roads in the interior, with nearly no services - maybe a convenience store (Eagle, Central, Manley Hot Springs, McCarthy).

And then there's the bush, meaning the towns and villages off the road and mainline ferry system. Out there are the hub towns with jet air service, basic services, and mixed white and native population (Bethel, Nome, Barrow, Kotzebue). Then there are the villages, with primarily native population, a small store and school, and reachable only by small plane service.

Quote:
from what I've seen of Alaska through tv and pictures I like the idea of rural Alaska
And please note: that makes us all cringe.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:01 PM

Oh I know out makes you cringe, especially since it can't be at all accurate.
I want to live in the Bush.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:07 PM

Double post

Last edited by ThunderChicken; 12-06-2014 at 07:30 PM..

Old 12-06-2014, 07:17 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChicken View Post
Send me a PM. I'd love to talk with you about bush teaching. My wife and I are both bush teachers. It definitely has it's pros and cons. It's definitely not for everyone.

My first question: can you handle being a minority?

Old 12-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChicken View Post
Send me a PM. I'd love to talk with you about bush teaching. My wife and I are both bush teachers. It definitely has it's pros and cons. It's definitely not for everyone.

My first question: can you handle being a minority?

Then, I ask:
Wife's certification?
Are you wanting to work?
Kids?
How big of a bush village you want to live in?

Seriously send me a PM and we can exchange emails. I will help you in anyway I can.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Bush Alaska has its own particular perils for children, and you won't be able to get away from Twitter anywhere.

Loan forgiveness incentives exist, but you need to look for official information on that.

You won't live cheaply in the bush.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Bush Alaska has its own particular perils for children, and you won't be able to get away from Twitter anywhere.

Loan forgiveness incentives exist, but you need to look for official information on that.

You won't live cheaply in the bush.
I disagree. Sure cost of living is higher, but I've never had a savings account until I moved to the bush. I don't eat out. I don't spend $400 month in gas for my vehicle. I don't buy soda or make impulse purchases. I learned to eat portions and buy in bulk.

Last summer we went south to visit family and in 6 weeks we spent the same amount of money that we spent in a whole year minus plane tickets in the bush. Of course a moose helps in the grocery department.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:54 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I disagree. Sure cost of living is higher, but I've never had a savings account until I moved to the bush. I don't eat out. I don't spend $400 month in gas for my vehicle. I don't buy soda or make impulse purchases. I learned to eat portions and buy in bulk.

Last summer we went south to visit family and in 6 weeks we spent the same amount of money that we spent in a whole year minus plane tickets in the bush. Of course a moose helps in the grocery department.
Yeah, that's true. I don't spend nearly as much on food when I'm up there because I get all the fresh seafood I want. I was thinking more of housing costs, and it seems that most families that move to bush villages from Outside spend a lot of money on trips. Also, the OP has to be resident for a year before he can get resident tags and fishing licenses.

Old 12-06-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, that's true. I don't spend nearly as much on food when I'm up there because I get all the fresh seafood I want. I was thinking more of housing costs, and it seems that most families that move to bush villages from Outside spend a lot of money on trips. Also, the OP has to be resident for a year before he can get resident tags and fishing licenses.
Yes to hunting, but not subsistence fishing. However, the outsider angle with hunting and fishing can be brutal. All depends on the village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska