Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 10:30 PM

13 posts, read 18,283 times

Advertisements

On my short list of places to do my off year. I know the cost of living is high but that there is no sales or income tax, but what are other concerns? Freezing pipes? Earthquakes? What is it generally like to live in Alaska (North Pole area)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 10:28 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,826,734 times
My biggest concern right now is the lack of snow.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:31 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Why the North Pole area? It's not where I would choose... Will you be working? What type of job? What season and how long?
If you are coming for a few months during the summer, life is grand. Your biggest concern is mosquitoes and tourists. If you are coming to North Pole for January with no money and plan on "roughing it" your biggest concern is freezing to death.
So there's a lot variables that come into play....
One great way to experience Alaska is a summer job. CoolWorks is a great resource: Alaska Jobs | CoolWorks.com

Old 12-19-2014, 08:59 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomHawk View Post
On my short list of places to do my off year. I know the cost of living is high but that there is no sales or income tax, but what are other concerns? Freezing pipes? Earthquakes? What is it generally like to live in Alaska (North Pole area)?
For some it's good, for others not so good as you can see below. Not paying income taxes in Fairbanks and North Pole does not offset the extremely high cost of living. Then North Pole has a sales tax or around 4% I believe.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/fairb...7-help-me.html

Old 12-19-2014, 10:47 PM

13 posts, read 18,283 times
I am thinking North Pole for an off-year, so obviously to work for that whole year. I choose that area in particular because I have a thing for Christmas.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:09 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,689,820 times
Quote:
I am thinking North Pole for an off-year, so obviously to work for that whole year. I choose that area in particular because I have a thing for Christmas.
You do know that Christmas only lasts 1 day a year, eh? Expensive place to live. I'm assuming you've won the powerball lottery and money is no object?

Old 12-20-2014, 12:37 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
There is no work in North Pole unless you can get a job as a city worker (the mayor makes around $220K, I believe). There is a hotel, a supermarket, a few gas stations, a few food joints, about three coffee stands, insurance companies, a couple of banks, post office, police station, several churches, and so on. Most people work in Fairbanks, Eielson AFB, and the Army post. There was a refinery that just closed its doors, so the city major is talking about more taxes because the refinery brought in lots of cash, and now the city workers, including the major, are trying to figure how to keep their high wages.

Now, some multi-billionaire could buy North Pole and turn it into a tourist attraction, but as it is now it does not amount to much as a place to visit. Most visitors go to Santa's House, which is a shop that sells a few locally made things, and the rest imported from China. They do have a very handsome Santa couple (Mr. and Mrs. Santa) at the store. One of the food joints, The Pagoda, has some excellent Chinese food (not imported from China, of course)

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-20-2014 at 12:48 AM..

Old 12-20-2014, 01:59 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You do know that Christmas only lasts 1 day a year, eh? Expensive place to live. I'm assuming you've won the powerball lottery and money is no object?
Yeah and this is North Pole, Alaska. Not THE North Pole.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:49 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
My biggest concern right now is the lack of snow.
Amen Rance! I have a brand new Pro RMK 155 that I rode 3 times last year. I go out in the garage and fire it up just to sit on it.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:06 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,103,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Amen Rance! I have a brand new Pro RMK 155 that I rode 3 times last year. I go out in the garage and fire it up just to sit on it.

LOL. That's pretty cute. But I'm guessing that "cute" isn't what you were aiming for. My cousin just got a new Ski-Doo Tundra (yes, a 4-stroke) for a 300-mile overland trip he's making. Fortunately we have enough snow up here that I am happy to report that the break-in period is going well.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska