Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 03:06 PM

15 posts, read 18,361 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm currently active duty Navy, have about 3 more years left on my commitment and considering a move to Alaska after I get out. I've found some really good info on life in Alaska but could use a bit more guidance for my situation:

About me: I'm a Registered Nurse (Navy), have been doing nursing now around 12 years. I was born and raised in the mountains of Kentucky in a very isolated small town of about 1500 people. I'm 38 years old and a very solitary person (single), I don't like neighbors or kids, hate traffic, and prefer to keep to myself. Nursing is a second career for me, I also have a Bachelor's in Environmental Science that was my first degree I got following High School. I love the outdoors and especially love rivers/streams and fishing.

With that being said, I'm interested in moving to AK but unsure of a good place that would fit my lifestyle. Obviously I have to work and being an RN pays the bills. I'm not looking for the homestead/off-the-grid type of lifestyle (I need my internet and electricity! lol) but I'm also not looking to live in a big city/subdivision as I'd prefer to settle down on a nice piece of land (10+ acres and neighbors who are not closeby), and preferably on a river, as I love rivers/streams and love to fish. Obviously I'd need to be close enough to a hospital so I could work and make a living.

Can anyone suggest an area to start looking? I have done enough research to know AK is quite expensive but I think my profession should offer me a wage that I could afford to make this a reality.

The Kenai Peninsula seems ideal. From the research I've done the weather isn't especially harsh and its relatively nearby to Anchorage. I'm not looking to work in Anchorage, just prefer to be near-enough to a big city for transportation back to the states, etc. Are there hospitals on the peninsula? What areas are affordable with land near rivers or big streams that would offer utilities and internet? Advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 03:35 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,320,257 times
There aren't a whole lot of hospitals in AK. Soldotna or the Mat-Su valley would be a good place to start looking. Outside of Anchorage and not including bush or southeast Alaska hospitals there are hospitals in Homer, Soldotna, Seward which are all on the peninsula with soldotna being your best chance as it's the biggest. Then there is Valdez, Wasilla/Palmer, Fairbanks. I may have forgot one and there may be a few small clinics as well. Wasilla/Palmer is close to anchorage but you can find acreage there. Don't rule out montana and idaho either... Good luck

Old 01-24-2015, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the advice I hadn't looked at the Wasilla/Palmer area at all.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:06 PM

My wife worked a travel RN job in Wasilla/Palmer for a few monta. It's arguably the best mix in Alaska for being both rural and having everything you need. Anchorage isn't too far away either. I prefer the Palmer side myself but they both kind of blend into each other.

A good idea would be to take a travel nurse job for your first time up. You'll know a lot more about an area after 13 weeks. Then you aren't committed. You may find one area you like a lot more after being here for a while.

Old 01-25-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
My wife worked a travel RN job in Wasilla/Palmer for a few monta. It's arguably the best mix in Alaska for being both rural and having everything you need. Anchorage isn't too far away either. I prefer the Palmer side myself but they both kind of blend into each other.

A good idea would be to take a travel nurse job for your first time up. You'll know a lot more about an area after 13 weeks. Then you aren't committed. You may find one area you like a lot more after being here for a while.
Excellent advice. Thank you!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:58 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,318,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

I have to agree with this post, it is excellent advice.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:27 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,630,343 times
I would recommend a visit here first to check things out and get a feel for life in Alaska. You could fly into Anchorage and rent a car to drive around some and visit the areas you might want to live.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
I have to agree with this post, it is excellent advice.
I did travel nursing in my younger days before I joined the Navy. It paid well but the constant moving around isn't what I'm looking for anymore. I twas fun in my late 20s, now i'm getting old haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I would recommend a visit here first to check things out and get a feel for life in Alaska. You could fly into Anchorage and rent a car to drive around some and visit the areas you might want to live.
I am planning on visiting hopefully by the end of the year. I am changing stations up to the Seattle, WA area in the fall and plan on making a trip to AK from there once I get settled in. Very excited

Old 01-25-2015, 04:37 PM

^ I wouldn't 100% rule travel nursing out. You can take an 8-13 week assignment just one time, sign one contract and be done, there is no moving around. If you are any good they almost Always offer you a full time position at the hosptal before your contract is up. I don't think my wife has taken a single travel nurse job were the hospital didn't offer her a full time gig half way through, sometimes even with a sign on bonus. It still is the best way to get up here for RN's IMO, but to each his own. You may also find the hospital to be a little skeptical of hiring a person if they aren't actually here in Alaska first, but obviously there are exceptions. IMO, it ups your chances of getting hired 90% or more if you are here in person first if you could somehow swing that. The hospitals get overloaded with calls of " I want to move to Alaska" and may not take you as seriously as if you were actually here. Good luck.

Just had a thought, if you are ex military, I believe the bases sometimes hire civilian RN's, although I could be wrong. I left those hospitals out of my previous list.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:11 PM

Yeah I can see your point. I am familiar with how travel nursing works, I did several assignments before I joined the military. It does make sense, seeing how most travel companies will comp your travel/moving expenses to a certain degree (ultimately will affect the hourly wage but may be worth the hit to get up there). And yes, I've also had the experience of being offered full time employment by hospitals that i've worked at as a traveler. They get to know you and your abilities so again you are correct that it can be helpful in making me a better candidate for the job without a long term commitment. Now you have me wanting to look into travel again haha.

In my experience with travel nursing here in the lower 48 was you get dumped on a lot by the staff (taking the worst assignments, first to float, first to be called off, therefore no money). Also the medical benefits weren't that great. I'm getting older and don't like to be dumped on haha but it does make sense to utilize these companies to "test the waters" what company does your wife use? Maybe i'll start researching this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska