Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 06:48 PM

23 posts, read 37,231 times

Advertisements

I am not asking for blistering cold and scorching hot. I am just asking for moderate cold and hot. Why do I ask for this u may ask?

Well pop culture says that summer is hot and winter is cold. Not cool and warm, in which case cool and warm are not the same as cold and hot... are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 06:50 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrek2001 View Post
I am not asking for blistering cold and scorching hot. I am just asking for moderate cold and hot. Why do I ask for this u may ask?

Well pop culture says that summer is hot and winter is cold. Not cool and warm, in which case cool and warm are not the same as cold and hot... are they?
What do you consider "cold" "cool" "warm" and "hot"?

There are almost certainly areas that meet your criteria. Does New York City not fit the criteria of cold winters and hot summers (but not blistering cold or scorching hot?)

Old 06-10-2015, 07:22 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
The interior area of Alaska is basically what your are asking about. Winters can hit -50f and summers can hit +90f.

But Average winter cold is in the -20 range and summers are seventies. We get Thunderstorms, matter of fact a big one just past through about ten minutes ago heading towards Fairbanks from where I'm at.

Gardens grow good if you like that.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
The interior area of Alaska is basically what your are asking about. Winters can hit -50f and summers can hit +90f.

But Average winter cold is in the -20 range and summers are seventies. We get Thunderstorms, matter of fact a big one just past through about ten minutes ago heading towards Fairbanks from where I'm at.

Gardens grow good if you like that.

the vast majority of people would not consider interior alaska "moderately cold". it is one of the coldest climates not just in the united states, but in the inhabited world.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:48 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Supposed to be in the 80's on the Kenai Peninsula this weekend. Not cool!

Old 06-12-2015, 02:18 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:

You need to define 'cold' and 'hot'.

Generally, locations that combine the extremes of both seasons are at mid-latitudes and mid-continent, not too close to either the pole or the tropics and far from the moderating effects of the oceans.

In North America, this sweet spot is roughly northern third of the Great Plains.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:52 PM

251 posts, read 341,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
What do you consider "cold" "cool" "warm" and "hot"?

There are almost certainly areas that meet your criteria. Does New York City not fit the criteria of cold winters and hot summers (but not blistering cold or scorching hot?)
Good call. We definitly have hot summers and cold winters here in NYC

Old 06-13-2015, 10:25 AM

301 posts, read 823,795 times
Des Moines!

Old 06-13-2015, 11:49 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:

If you want really cold winters and hot summers, you are looking for a temperate zone continental climate. You can find this in the heart of the Russian Federation i.e. Western,or Central Siberia or Kazakstan or Mongolia or Western China. Closeness to Oceans is what moderates and in some cases warms adjacent land areas. London England is located at Latitude 52 N but its climate is moderated by the comparatively warm Atlantic Ocean. 52 N Latitude would lie on Hudson's Bay in North America. Also near this latitude is Irkutsk in Russia's Siberia.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:27 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,207 times
Fairbanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: