Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 PM

149 posts, read 366,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Mind View Post
boy you just made that sound reeeally appealing
ha ha i was thinking the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 11:49 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
Thanks Rance, couldn't tell, looked like areas of grass, but then I guess that makes sense. Is it kind of a mountainous area? I see there is quite a bit of less expensive land for sale in that area. That would make for a good view, if a person built in the right place, although I only saw one road in and out of the peninsula to Anchorage. Do they close the road often in the winter or for mud slides?
That area is rolling hills, with scrub pine and cottonwood. The lakes to the southeast...the one closest to the highway is Watson Lake. That lake and stream is the east fork of the Moose River which runs right through town and joins the Kenai River in the middle of town.
It's give or take 15 miles to the nearest mountain from Sterling. And yes there is only the one road to Anchorage. There is an airport in Kenai that has commuter flights.
I've never seen the road closed due to mudslides...but on occasion there are rocks and boulders along Turnagain Arm.
I have seen it closed due to avalanches...but I've never been held up while trying to make a trip. The route is actually very well maintained in winter. Through the Hope Pass and Turnagain Pass they have graders and plows working at all hours when it's snowing. At this moment the worst stretch of highway is from Sterling to Soldotna. They always wait too long to plow down here in the flat land!

Old 01-25-2009, 06:51 PM

23 posts, read 55,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
Well I feel that Anchorage is the best place (south side), it's not a huge city but has everything you need in it. You can travel north or south and get out of town rapidly. I've lived in the bush before but that is not the life style for me, I've lived in a very small town of Seward and that is not the life style either. I was raised in Los Angeles and Anchorage is a perfect fit for my life style, been here for 34 years and still love.
I was raised in So Cal too (Riverside County) and also love Anchorage! I left to finish nursing school quicker than I would've at UAA....now considering coming back. I think Anchorage or ER is the only spot for me.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:12 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
Can you tell me where the perfect place to live in Alaska would be and why you feel it is the perfect place in Alaska to live.
Nowhere where I live at in the interior.

No people... well a few.

No Borough... or local politicians

No Property taxes, or services... You get what you supply...

Bears in the garbage/burn barrels verses dogs in the real world...

Wolves stopping by to see if the dog can come out and play and then be eaten at the end of the session.

Moose eating the flowers and other stuff in the garden...

Way too much quiet....

Really cold in the winter...

Really hot in the summer...

Too little light in the winter...

Too much light in the summer...

Oh, and Mosquitoes the size of humming birds...

Yep, where I am in Alaska is really a rotten spot for people to want to move to...

I hear that Sterling is a really nice place though...

Old 01-25-2009, 07:46 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Getting a little crowded out there, starlite?? LOL

Old 01-25-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Getting a little crowded out there, starlite?? LOL
Yeah, we have about 12 families in the area now within about fifteen miles of here North and South... Wilderness to the East and West though, so a bit of a shining light still....

Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 PM

Whew. Traffic is getting to be a bear, huh? (Bear, get it? heh heh... oh never mind)

Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Whew. Traffic is getting to be a bear, huh? (Bear, get it? heh heh... oh never mind)
Yeah, I get pretty huffy headed into the big town of Nenana (about 350 or so) and get stuck behind the RV Convoy's...

If they see a moose, they stop in the middle of the highway, there is a traffic "parked up" for ten cars long!

They have to get photos and then they will sit and make a pot of coffee to talk about the experiance... while camping at the scene of the sighting.

They really freak out though when it is a large Bull Moose about the first part of September.... But don't handle it very well when one of the "Parked up" cars has someone jump out and blast the moose, quarters it and throws it into the trunk while waiting for the RV'rs coffee to perk.

Heaven for bid if the Traffic stopper was a "BEAR".....

Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 PM

Almost rear ended someone on the Glenn about 50 miles shy of Glennallen. Stopped to take photos of a rainbow and didn't want to wait for a pullout to do it in. Brains and an RV, all in a single package.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:50 AM

4 posts, read 25,049 times
Default hello

i am new to this forum and very interested in Alaska

i currently live in florida, have been here for 10 years and this is NOT my environment at all. i am originally from pennsylvania. i have always been interested in Alaska and have never been there.

i would love to visit a nice small town in alaska, scenic, native culture. i am half native american myself and other native cultures fascinate me. alaska seems like paradise on earth and i would love to witness the northern lights/aurora borealis too.

i am just here to read your experiences and hopefully gather more information about alaska

how are the employment opportunities in small town alaska? are all towns, small? from what i ve read, anchorage seems expensive...yes/no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska