Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times

Advertisements

Checking mls and craigslist again and prices are still not 80s cheap yet. Hopefully some more lay offs start rolling in to ease demand. I figured the lay offs we already had would have been enough but still only 10% of single family homes are less than 300k.

I suppose a number of folks are living off savings hoping things pick up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 09:00 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Checking mls and craigslist again and prices are still not 80s cheap yet. Hopefully some more lay offs start rolling in to ease demand. .
I wouldn't go so far as to wish this kind of misfortune on someone for my own benefit. Wage cuts would suffice.
That said, it is true that many people really go for the throat when it comes time to sell their home.
I guess they figure the entire country is in on the gouging, so the next house they need to buy in a new location will also be grossly overpriced.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:07 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,019 times
I guess freezing your butkis off for 7 to 8 months of the year gets old.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:48 AM

256 posts, read 452,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
while Alaska has a ton of natural beauty, maybe one of the most beautiful places on earth, I don't see how people not originally from the state could want to stay. As some of mentioned, wages are stagnant, something that is pervasive across the lower 48 as well, and the weather is unforgiving to say the least. That alone is a deterrent for me. The long dark winters would absolutely be my undoing. It's just how I'm made.

But God, I want to visit once in my life. To see the outdoors, the wildlife, the amazing last frontier of North America. It has to be stunning.
Long dark winters? Depends on where you live, F/banks, yes. However Wasilla down through the peninsula is fairly normal in winter. Sure we get more darkness than the lower 48, but not enough to not live here.

The one thing I tell people that want to visit or move to Alaska is, its vast and beautiful to look at from the inside out. What I mean is looking from the town out is amazing, but when you get out side town and look in, it is freaking ugly! Our towns are not cute or quaint like ones you would find in Wyoming, Montana, etc. It is expensive to enjoy our beauty because the time it takes to drive or fly anywhere.

Old 11-26-2015, 11:25 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
Long dark winters? Depends on where you live, F/banks, yes. However Wasilla down through the peninsula is fairly normal in winter. Sure we get more darkness than the lower 48, but not enough to not live here.

The one thing I tell people that want to visit or move to Alaska is, its vast and beautiful to look at from the inside out. What I mean is looking from the town out is amazing, but when you get out side town and look in, it is freaking ugly! Our towns are not cute or quaint like ones you would find in Wyoming, Montana, etc. It is expensive to enjoy our beauty because the time it takes to drive or fly anywhere.
There is not much difference in hours of darkness between Fairbanks and Anchorage, but it's usually much colder in Fairbanks than in Anchorage.
Shortest Day In Alaska | Hours of Daylight & Winter Darkness Fun Facts

I agree with you about towns, and even cities, being quite ugly. For example, the downtown center of Fairbanks should look like a frontier town, the bars like saloons from the past and so on. North Pole should look the name implies (the place where Santa lives, makes toys, and so on).

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-26-2015 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-26-2015, 05:09 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Wage cuts, unless significant don't produce motivated sellers. If a family can scrape up enough money to pay the mortgage they will, and keep the property listed at sky high prices. So I may sound a little callous but sellers are creating the antagonism. Prices won't budge as long as people can scrape the mortgage together. My life is basicly on hold until prices slide significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I wouldn't go so far as to wish this kind of misfortune on someone for my own benefit. Wage cuts would suffice.
That said, it is true that many people really go for the throat when it comes time to sell their home.
I guess they figure the entire country is in on the gouging, so the next house they need to buy in a new location will also be grossly overpriced.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:08 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
There is not much difference in hours of darkness between Fairbanks and Anchorage, but it's usually much colder in Fairbanks than in Anchorage.
Shortest Day In Alaska | Hours of Daylight & Winter Darkness Fun Facts

I agree with you about towns, and even cities, being quite ugly. For example, the downtown center of Fairbanks should look like a frontier town, the bars like saloons from the past and so on. North Pole should look the name implies (the place where Santa lives, makes toys, and so on).
Excellent examples. Fairbanks is the ugliest city I've ever been to that I can think of. And that includes Bakersfield, California. North Pole ain't far behind.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:25 PM

256 posts, read 452,768 times
Over the last 7-8 years both me and my wife have watched people move up here wanting to live their dream to only realize Alaska is not what TV makes it out to be. I definitely think there was a mass that moved into Alaska during the reality phase we just went through, and once the novelty has worn off they decided to head back south. Most have admitted Alaska is gorgeous, but then mention how un-accessible it is due to cost and time required to enjoy the beauty.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:46 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerThyme View Post
Over the last 7-8 years both me and my wife have watched people move up here wanting to live their dream to only realize Alaska is not what TV makes it out to be. I definitely think there was a mass that moved into Alaska during the reality phase we just went through, and once the novelty has worn off they decided to head back south. Most have admitted Alaska is gorgeous, but then mention how un-accessible it is due to cost and time required to enjoy the beauty.
I agree with you.

I have been here for a long time and have seen coworkers and other people, including spouses and other family members who could not handle the darkness, or cost of living, or just the long winters. If they get here during the summer months, for some it takes a winter or two for them to change their minds about staying. While in the military I saw a lot of separations and divorces. I imagine that it was most difficult for the person taking care of the kids, or just at home, than for the active military member. But military families were not the only ones separating and leaving Alaska.

A lot of people love it up (my wife and I do), but some other people hate it once they live here long enough. To like the place you have to enjoy outdoors activities, not only during the short summers, but winters as well. But seeing Alaska it can get very expensive.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Most of the towns on the panhandle are pretty picturesque and "quaint."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska