Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:43 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,655 times

Advertisements

Ah yes, and people wonder why many of us resent the presence of cruise ships in our communities...

It is nice to have a tourist interesting in learning about us and the unique life we have carved for ourselves. I think you will like Alaska, Barkingowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 11:56 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
They make it rough for the rest of the tourists...and they probably get noticed more than the well mannered ones. But their numbers are pretty great. In all fairness it isn't only ugly Americans. The ... lady...in question was from France.

I know that I don't have to tell you this, barking, but just in case someone else looking for info is reading, here are a few things not to do when you are prowling the port cities.

Don't make disparaging remarks about how the place wouldn't exist without the touron dollar. That's what ate Skagway and most of Ketchikan alive; it's an insult and a highly untrue one at that. When I was in Skagway and people would ask me where I lived in the off season, I'd tell them I lived in Alaska and that I couldn't wait to see it again.

Do not assume that the people you come into contact with are year round residents. The great majority of them will not be. About 88% of the people working in restaurants et al are from the lower 48. Do not badger people about what on earth they find to do in the winter. Most of them will be basking in the Caribean sun.

Treat anyone that you come in contact with who has an Eastern European accent very well. They're college kids who work their fingers to the bone here, most with two or three jobs and most of them put most of our American youth to shame (the Prince of Wales and Xa'at being major exceptions here).

If you should see a dark haired woman skulking on a bench in any of the port cities, do not approach except with extreme caution, especially if she is gazing with a generalized air of disdain at the sea of white touron tennis shoes. It could well be me. Although I do plan on avoiding the port cities this summer, I do have to spend some time in both Juneau and Ketchikan. Before you come up, pm me and I'll let you in on a secret hand sign that will identify you as something more than a particle of the maddening crowds and perhaps I will allow you and your wife to purchase me a tasty beverage during your time in port. And hey, if I can get you flashing hand signals at all the dark haired women skulking on benches, all the better, eh?

Do not buy any freaking jewelry. Do not go into respectable art galleries demanding your free gift. Do not pick up the salmon that are spawning in the creeks and hold them over your head while dancing around so your friends can have photo ops.

Best of all just make plans to return to Alaska as a traveler. And don't pay cruise ship prices for watered down hooch--bring your own.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:07 AM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
If you should see a dark haired woman skulking on a bench in any of the port cities, do not approach except with extreme caution, especially if she is gazing with a generalized air of disdain at the sea of white touron tennis shoes. It could well be me.
Could be me, too.
All of Metla's points are excellent.
Most of the stores owned by real locals are marked as such, but the outsiders are sneaky. All the names I gave you are locally owned.
Do not wear those disgusting garbage bags they give you. Bring a couple of pairs of jeans, a nice pair of hiking boots, turtlenecks, etc. If you feel you must wear a coat, a fleece jacket or hoodie is the outerwear of choice. An umbrella is acceptable, but you will be instantly marked as a tourist. Bring a real camera, not one of those disposable things.
Please, please, please, do not wear white tennys.

Old 02-02-2008, 12:10 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Most of the stores owned by real locals are marked as such, but the outsiders are sneaky.
I can name--just offhand--four places in Skagway who have the locally owned signs on their doors--and I also know for a fact that the people who own each one of these places is on the first plane out of town the minute the last ship leaves the port and don't come back until they start rolling up here again.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:16 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,150,019 times
*Throws all my white tennis shoes away.*

Old 02-02-2008, 10:00 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
Quote:
They make it rough for the rest of the tourists...and they probably get noticed more than the well mannered ones. But their numbers are pretty great. In all fairness it isn't only ugly Americans. The ... lady...in question was from France.
I think that the phenomenon of the ugly American touron has crossed international boundaries thanks to the legions of white tennis shoes. I have encountered people from other countries that have just as great a disdain for Americans as Alaska does. But the term can often be used interchangeably to represent any touron with an arrogant overbearing attitude & a noticable lack of respect for anyone & everything getting between them & a trinket or food.

Quote:
I know that I don't have to tell you this, barking, but just in case someone else looking for info is reading, here are a few things not to do when you are prowling the port cities.
Quote:
Don't make disparaging remarks about how the place wouldn't exist without the touron dollar. That's what ate Skagway and most of Ketchikan alive; it's an insult and a highly untrue one at that. When I was in Skagway and people would ask me where I lived in the off season, I'd tell them I lived in Alaska and that I couldn't wait to see it again.
Well of course these cities were around a long time before the cruise ships ever appeared. Although there are places in Mexico & Central America that never existed before the advent of cruising. Cruise lines have created a few towns simply for their own benefit, Costa Maya Mexico is one such example. I had a fun talk with a vendor there about his tattoos. It seems that he had been inked extensively when he had been a guest of Mexico's penal system.

My wife had been busy showing me off to the jewelry vendors. She kept telling them that I was a gemologist & jewelry appraiser & that I could set a fair price. So much for blending in & staying out of the spotlight. I would look at whatever it was that she wanted, ask what the outrageous price was, tell the trinket merchant that it was a POS & that I could buy it at wholesale in the US & walk out of the store. Things were a bit strained on that cruise.

Quote:
Do not assume that the people you come into contact with are year round residents. The great majority of them will not be. About 88% of the people working in restaurants et al are from the lower 48.
Shouldn't these jobs be offered to Alaskans first? There must be a terrific drain on the local economy.

Quote:
Do not badger people about what on earth they find to do in the winter. Most of them will be basking in the Caribbean sun.
Hawaii too. I'm going to have to come up for Iditarod next year or perhaps just to experience the beauty & solitude. I bet I could buy a tow truck & make some serious money in the valley hauling cars out of ditches.

Quote:
Treat anyone that you come in contact with who has an Eastern European accent very well. They're college kids who work their fingers to the bone here, most with two or three jobs and most of them put most of our American youth to shame (the Prince of Wales and Xa'at being major exceptions here).
The Eastern Europeans are also on most of the cruise ships, at least the ones that I've traveled on. They exhibit the same work ethic at sea as well.

Quote:
If you should see a dark haired woman skulking on a bench in any of the port cities, do not approach except with extreme caution, especially if she is gazing with a generalized air of disdain at the sea of white touron tennis shoes. It could well be me.
I have often heard tales that different goddesses could appear simultaneously in different places to render judgments, preside over festivals & protect the local population from plague or famine.

Quote:
Although I do plan on avoiding the port cities this summer, I do have to spend some time in both Juneau and Ketchikan. Before you come up, pm me and I'll let you in on a secret hand sign that will identify you as something more than a particle of the maddening crowds and perhaps I will allow you and your wife to purchase me a tasty beverage during your time in port. And hey, if I can get you flashing hand signals at all the dark haired women skulking on benches, all the better, eh?
That sounds mysterious & intriguing. As long as you do not have me throwing these "gang signs" that kids down here seem to think is cool.

Quote:
Do not pick up the salmon that are spawning in the creeks and hold them over your head while dancing around so your friends can have photo ops.
I have great respect for the salmon.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...4-DSC00004.JPG
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...2-DSC00005.JPG

Quote:
Best of all just make plans to return to Alaska as a traveler. And don't pay cruise ship prices for watered down hooch--bring your own.
I want to return to Alaska for a number of different reason. , even though I haven't been there yet. I was even thinking about applying for the position of Alaska state archivist, in Juneau, which I've noticed is unfullfilled. Maybe its time to put my MLS to good use.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Could be me, too.
So would your hair be jet black like obsidian or more like chocolate as Metlakatla's is?

Quote:
All of Metla's points are excellent.
We are in agreement. I must however spread out more reputation before I can leave another offering at her altar.

Quote:
Most of the stores owned by real locals are marked as such, but the outsiders are sneaky. All the names I gave you are locally owned.
Ok. I'm thinking that these store may be emptier than the cruise line recommended places thus encouraging a better overall experience.

Quote:
Do not wear those disgusting garbage bags they give you. Bring a couple of pairs of jeans, a nice pair of hiking boots, turtlenecks, etc. If you feel you must wear a coat, a fleece jacket or hoodie is the outerwear of choice.
Finally some fashion advice that I can live with. Do you think a pair of long underwear might get some use? Our weather is so unpredictable down here that if its in the 30s at night, I usually find myself wearing a pair during the day just because...

Quote:
An umbrella is acceptable, but you will be instantly marked as a tourist.
I generally don't do umbrellas. They do make handy stickers though.

Quote:
Bring a real camera, not one of those disposable things.
I have an Olympus E510 DSLR with a few Zuiko lenses & a nice flash. I'll remember to buy a few extra CF cards.

Quote:
Please, please, please, do not wear white tennys.
I have never worn white tennys. I have, however, worn purple high tops back when I was younger.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:58 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,805,867 times
thanks metla for going into more detail, you beat me to it.

just to let the world wide web know, I (we) don't have anything against tourist and visitors, it's the tourons who give all guests a bad rep. I will admit by sept I get a bit weary of all the "great white north" crap and just want it all over for the season.
I work downtown, you can't take a step w/out bumping into a tourist in the summer, and 95% of them are pretty good folks.
It's the ones who walk around with that look and attitude of "I've got money and I'm officially a guest here..so start kissing my a$$."
And as far as the cruise line carpetbaggers...don't even get me started on them.........

Old 02-02-2008, 11:00 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,805,867 times
btw...juneau is at it's best in the winter.

[IMG][/IMG]

- last week at 7:40 a.m. 2 degrees, -16 wind chill. a quiet, peacefull walk, great way to have morning coffee before the craziness of work....

Last edited by DannyL; 02-02-2008 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-02-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
It's the ones who walk around with that look and attitude of "I've got money and I'm officially a guest here..so start kissing my a$$."
Those people are exactly the same way on the ships too. That's why my wife & I usually keep to ourselves. I watched a passenger go up to the purser's desk one evening & reduce a girl to tears because he was an arrogant ass. I waited till he had left. Her friends had gathered around her trying to comfort her. I walked up to them & told them exactly what I thought of him & that I had nothing but the best of service from all of them. I made a point to learn their names & to greet them whenever I saw them around the ship or in port. The crew has hard enough jobs without being demeaned in the course of their duties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska