Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times

Advertisements

or do any of the assorted spendy shore excursions that my cruise ship is offering. Nor am I interested in cruise line sponsored shopping. Can y'all give me a list of things to see, do & spend my money on locally for the following cities:

Ketchikan
Juneau
Skagway
Sitka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 06:59 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,009 times
This is an excellent question.
I have a whole list of off the beaten path-type things to do in Juneau, but I don't have very much time to type. I will come back later.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,867,976 times
This may, of course, be arriving too late. I would suggest flying into Anchorage, getting a rental car and driving around, staying in bed & breakfasts in various parts of the state. There are companies that will set up a trip of this type. DM me and I will give the particulars for the one that we used on our visit, if there is still time to change the way you will arrive. The problem I noticed with Cruise ships is, six buses full of people descend on a small town and overwhelm all the merchants. Because of the crowds, they can not really take the time to talk and share information. When it was just Betsy and I stopping for a Pepsi and a pack of nabs to stretch our legs, a fifteen minute stop stretched into an hour or more, filled with laughter, tall tales and friendly discussion. Since we did not act like two tourists, part of a large herd in a shopping frenzy, we were not treated as such.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:20 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,805,471 times
in juneau, by all means, team up with some other folks, hire a cab/van (6 can ride for the price of one) and go see the glacier. great photo op, and worth it.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:50 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
If you take a cruise and wish to do things different than many people (which I think is a great idea!) don't forget you only have so much time before you have to be back to the ship. Don't do anything that could mess that up by being too far away from the ship.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:54 PM

Dusty we've had the cruise planned for awhile so changing it really isn't an option at this point. We'll be spending a week based most likely in Wasilla & rent a car to see as much as we can in the valley, Anchorage & Kenai. At least that's the plan so far...

Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If you take a cruise and wish to do things different than many people (which I think is a great idea!) don't forget you only have so much time before you have to be back to the ship. Don't do anything that could mess that up by being too far away from the ship.
Oh yeah... They get really mad & usually leave you behind if you miss the 3 blasts on the ship's horn, unless you're with a ship's tour, then they're forced to wait for you.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:15 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,009 times
I' m back! Hardee harr!
I'm going to respectfully disagree with Danny, here. In the summer the glacier is always packed with people and YES, it's cool, but you will probably see other glaciers along the way so it's not very original.
Myself, I'm a fan of things that are free, so I offer up this small list of things you can do here that are without charge (or very cheap).
Hike Mount Roberts
The trailhead is within walking distance of the cruise ships. It takes about an hour to two hours, depending on how good shape you are in. Not very many people do it, so it's usually quiet and you can see some cool wildlife, plus excellent views of Juneau. There is a ton of stuff at the top to do, some interpretive videos, the Juneau Raptor Center usually has an exhibit, plus a restaurant and some more hiking trails. You can take the tram back down the mountain, it takes only a few minutes, basically for free. Technically you're supposed to pay 5 dollars for the ride down, or spend 5 dollars and show a receipt, but they never check.
Mendenhall Wetland Trail
This is a fun little trail that winds around the airport and into the wetlands. It used to be that everyone walked their dog there but never cleaned up, earning it the nick "Dog Poop Trail" (we're very creative folks ). Although laws now require you to clean up after your dog, the name has stuck for long time Juneauites. It's very easy to walk, no incline to speak of, and has some great views of the mountains, channel, and glacier. If you happen to time it right, you can experience possibly the coolest thing Juneau has to offer: almost getting run over by an Alaska airlines jet. Yes, it sounds scary, but it's not. The trail is situated so planes inbound from and outbound to Anchorage go right over it at a very low altitude. It's not dangerous or anything, but it is very exhilarating!
Ach, I had one more but now I forgot. I will remember tomorrow.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Hike Mount Roberts
The trailhead is within walking distance of the cruise ships. It takes about an hour to two hours, depending on how good shape you are in. Not very many people do it, so it's usually quiet and you can see some cool wildlife, plus excellent views of Juneau. There is a ton of stuff at the top to do, some interpretive videos, the Juneau Raptor Center usually has an exhibit, plus a restaurant and some more hiking trails. You can take the tram back down the mountain, it takes only a few minutes, basically for free. Technically you're supposed to pay 5 dollars for the ride down, or spend 5 dollars and show a receipt, but they never check.
Now that definitely sounds like fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Mendenhall Wetland Trail
This is a fun little trail that winds around the airport and into the wetlands. It used to be that everyone walked their dog there but never cleaned up, earning it the nick "Dog Poop Trail" (we're very creative folks ). Although laws now require you to clean up after your dog, the name has stuck for long time Juneauites. It's very easy to walk, no incline to speak of, and has some great views of the mountains, channel, and glacier. If you happen to time it right, you can experience possibly the coolest thing Juneau has to offer: almost getting run over by an Alaska airlines jet. Yes, it sounds scary, but it's not. The trail is situated so planes inbound from and outbound to Anchorage go right over it at a very low altitude. It's not dangerous or anything, but it is very exhilarating!
That sounds like a blast! I bet I could get some great photos too. Very

Thanks Xa'at!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
Thats how it is here in Bethel, the runway is right next to the highway and a side road here. I've taken thousands of pictures of planes landing here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska