Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 05:49 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

And that's why, beyond the Natives, there really aren't many people living in bush Alaska, which is what we tried to tell the OP, but oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 07:07 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,168,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
And that's why, beyond the Natives, there really aren't many people living in bush Alaska, which is what we tried to tell the OP, but oh well.
And pretty much any white person living is either: A teacher, a teacher, a teacher, a missionary, LEO, or married to a native. There are really no other white year round residents in villages. Maybe in hubs, but not really in a village.

I've been to 20 villages in my short time out here, and I have yet to meet a white person in a village that doesn't fall into one of those categories. I don't count guides, b/c they are only there for the season.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:02 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Alaska doesn't have 4 seasons.
...just to elaborate this point for the OP we have two seasons: Winter & Construction Season. Winter is followed by an extremely brief period we call Breakup, but it's so short it cannot be counted as a season.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
...just to elaborate this point for the OP we have two seasons: Winter & Construction Season. Winter is followed by an extremely brief period we call Breakup, but it's so short it cannot be counted as a season.
I laugh when my students talk about Fall and Spring. Fall is cold enough and snowy enough to qualify as winter down south. The only thing Fall like is the leaves change very quickly. Spring, is still snowy and cold.

I once saw a pictographic detailing the AK seasons.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:57 PM

106 posts, read 153,400 times
I'll be sure to visit in the summer. Just judging from what I've read here I wouldn't want to live there. Spring here is awesome, summer is too hot and muggy, and then fall is awesome again. Winters could definitely stand to see more snow, but Vermont isn't too bad of a drive for skiing and snowboarding. I also wouldn't like the difficulty of traveling to the lower 48. I've lived outside of the country before and airline travel is expensive. I've traveled to most of the states I wanted to, and WV is one of my favorite.

Old 12-31-2015, 04:57 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Just got to PT and heard that we're supposed to get 100 MPH winds. WTF if the Ouiji Board is correct I will need someplace to park my truck where it won't get smashed. Strange weather for sure... it is super warm in town.
I'm in Florida on vacation and just heard about these 100 mph gusts outside of Delta. I sure hope my house is still right where I left it when I get back .

Old 12-31-2015, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I'm in Florida on vacation and just heard about these 100 mph gusts outside of Delta. I sure hope my house is still right where I left it when I get back .
The wind knocked over our pallet fence (five pallet section), our trash can, our grill, and two outboards. That's all I had in the yard. It was brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska