Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:23 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,102,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature mama View Post
At this point I am confused by your responses. The general response to a person inquiring about moving there is to be prepared for it to be different than the lower 48. "You might not make it" seems to be a theme on this board. Now that I've asked about it, everyone is responding that it is not that different.
Anyway, as for the tourist questions, the person asking those questions is probably nosey no matter where they are. Don't paint all tourists with the same brush.

Given the size of the state and the remote villages, there are likely more people who are unique to what those of us in the lower 48 are used to--especially anyone from the mid-atlantic to north east as it is so densely populated that we don't have much remote space. Also, its reputation for having areas of an unforgiving environment and climate can make for some curious tourists. As for me, I know a city slicker when I see one and I have no interest in what folks do in the city. I just don't get how people make it judging by the financial obstacles written about on this board.

Just to clear up the "she must be one of those meddling tourists" thoughts
The only reason I have not yet told you "don't come up; you won't make it" is because you haven't yet said something stupid like, "I'm driving my completely unequipped rollerskate car up the AlCan in the middle of winter, destination Fairbanks. I have no job, no money, no family or friends, and no plan, and upon arrival I intend to live in my rollerskate car which I have not winterized and have no intention to winterize before I depart. And my tires are bald."

Say something like that, then watch how our responses change. You have been clear that you have no intention of moving here, so there has been no reason for us to caution you otherwise. You are not asking us the questions someone normally does who intends on moving up here, so you are not getting the normal responses.

Last edited by riceme; 12-30-2015 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:52 PM

106 posts, read 153,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
The only reason I have not yet told you "don't come up; you won't make it" is because you haven't yet said something stupid like, "I'm driving my completely unequipped rollerskate car up the AlCan in the middle of winter, destination Fairbanks. I have no job, no money, no family or friends, and no plan, and upon arrival I intend to live in my rollerskate car which I have not winterized and have no intention to winterize before I depart. And my tires are bald."

Say something like that, then watch how our responses change. You have been clear that you have no intention of moving here, so there has been no reason for us to caution you otherwise. You are not asking us the questions someone normally does who intends on moving up here, so you are not getting the normal responses.
That makes sense.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You've been in a lot of the West Coast villages -- do they get tourists?

Also -- although I shouldn't waste my time, but I'm still snowed in, to address one of the OP's concerns, there is a huge difference between becoming established in a place and maintaining a lifestyle that's been built up over a number of years. Yes, we caution people against moving to Alaska without much of a plan, but I'm not getting the leap from that to the assumption that established people are struggling (of course, some of them will be now that oil is weak and will probably remain that way for a number of years). And then we have pittsflyer, who makes well over 100K but can't afford pizza and beer and has been bitching all over this forum about his dire financial straits lately (the CS people must be hot on his trail again), but his problem is one of simply not being money-smart rather than Alaska's high cost of living. It's easy to see why Outsiders would get the wrong impression given certain tales of woe, I suppose.

As far as diversity, there isn't any. I know a guy who mills music wood that ends up as some pretty expensive instruments, and I suppose that qualifies as the sort of quirky, "unique" occupation that the "shows" have led people to expect, but I imagine that one guy has that particular market pretty well sewn up.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Montana will be the next place where they make "shows."
A reality show was filmed in WV once. It's called the wonderful whites of west virginia. It showcases a bunch of crazy west virginia hillbillies from an isolated county a few hours from here.
WV is known for its coal miners, strip mines, environmental destruction, pill heads, and meth. The west virginia I know is full of beautiful mountains, world class whitewater, good music, and kind people. I won't be offended if you think it's all crazy hillbillies if you've never been here though.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:03 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
I've been there, and what does or doesn't offend you is really none of my concern. I've traveled enough to realize that these "shows" don't depict reality, though. Never saw the show you're typing about and most likely never will. Not interested in the least.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I've been there, and what does or doesn't offend you is really none of my concern. I've traveled enough to realize that these "shows" don't depict reality, though.
What part of WV?

Old 12-31-2015, 12:19 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
I was in Clarksburg for my husband's nephew's wedding.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
That makes sense.
That was a real life example, btw... from last winter. Stupid kid wouldn't listen to any of us and ended up in Anchorage mooching off some poor lady. At least he didn't come up to Fairbanks. Dumbass would have died.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
A reality show was filmed in WV once. It's called the wonderful whites of west virginia. It showcases a bunch of crazy west virginia hillbillies from an isolated county a few hours from here.
WV is known for its coal miners, strip mines, environmental destruction, pill heads, and meth. The west virginia I know is full of beautiful mountains, world class whitewater, good music, and kind people. I won't be offended if you think it's all crazy hillbillies if you've never been here though.
I would not characterize Jesco White as "crazy." Again, be mindful that what Hollywood chooses to portray on your tv often has little basis in reality.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:48 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,111,762 times
Were you drinking the beer from an establishment or from a liquor store. Costco and brown jug are great, its the going out that will rape you to death. But my women does not like to sit on the couch and drink a beer so .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
I spit my drink out near the bottom of this post. Thanks Met. There went a $10 sip.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 12-31-2015 at 01:00 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 12:50 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,111,762 times
And no I dont make that much otherwise I would have been laid off. The really expensive people get cut first. Until the pipeline is actually shut down they wont lay everyone off.

Quote:
You've been in a lot of the West Coast villages -- do they get tourists?

Also -- although I shouldn't waste my time, but I'm still snowed in, to address one of the OP's concerns, there is a huge difference between becoming established in a place and maintaining a lifestyle that's been built up over a number of years. Yes, we caution people against moving to Alaska without much of a plan, but I'm not getting the leap from that to the assumption that established people are struggling (of course, some of them will be now that oil is weak and will probably remain that way for a number of years). And then we have pittsflyer, who makes well over 100K but can't afford pizza and beer and has been bitching all over this forum about his dire financial straits lately (the CS people must be hot on his trail again), but his problem is one of simply not being money-smart rather than Alaska's high cost of living. It's easy to see why Outsiders would get the wrong impression given certain tales of woe, I suppose.

As far as diversity, there isn't any. I know a guy who mills music wood that ends up as some pretty expensive instruments, and I suppose that qualifies as the sort of quirky, "unique" occupation that the "shows" have led people to expect, but I imagine that one guy has that particular market pretty well sewn up.

Maybe we'll get lucky and Montana will be the next place where they make "shows."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska