Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Alaska could support an Alpine Coaster?
Yes 6 75.00%
No 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 12:16 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,107,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music_Man View Post
There would be to many fatalities on a trail like that here.
"riceme" I know you didn't mean it had to be concrete.

"build it and they will come"
Oh, gotcha

That must be another reason they stopped making them concrete and started putting them on rails. I don't think any of the six members of my family (including my mom) escaped wicked, wicked road rash when we went every summer, and my brother got a head injury once. Of course that was before they made people wear helmets on things like that, or before it would have even occurred to any of us.

Obviously, wicked road rash and a head injury was not enough to keep us away. It is really fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,525,838 times
One on rails would be neat, basically a summer activity for the same ski resort... Might need to do that with these warm winters...

A concrete luge sounds like fun too - but for the reasons already posted would probably not be a good idea to start building one like that today.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:40 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
I think the lines to ride something like that would be over the top thus significantly degrading the fun factor. Its the same sort of situation when there is a nice snow dump at alyeska, the lines are so over the top that your almost better off hiking hatchers pass, you will probably get the same number of runs in.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,107,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I think the lines to ride something like that would be over the top thus significantly degrading the fun factor. Its the same sort of situation when there is a nice snow dump at alyeska, the lines are so over the top that your almost better off hiking hatchers pass, you will probably get the same number of runs in.
Why are you such a Debbie Downer about every single thing? Are you this miserable in your real life too, or do you just save it for us?

Old 01-15-2016, 03:18 AM

Nope real life too. People tolerate it in real life because while I am a downer I am always activily problem solving. So its not technically "complaining" if I am able to form solutions or work arounds.

However, the fact that there were 45 min lines at alyeska when I was going to the restaurant at the top tells me that people have fun paying for an expensive lift ticket and getting 3-4 runs in while standing in line the rest of the time just because its "good snow". That is not rational to me, but if everyone got snowmachines and took turns towing each other up hatchers pass then hatchers pass would also become a night mare (or hiking up) because there is limited parking. So I guess you need the sheeple to all congragate somewhere so that there are other solutions to be had.

I am generally against things with low barriers to entry because then it becomes a hamster cage of dolts all loitering in a confined space which makes me want to go postal. If I wanted to stand packed in like a sardine I would move to LA and breath the smog and commute for 3 hours one way to some medocre job that I failed to negotiate a living wage for.

The exploding population and all of them on the roads and in the stores makes problem solving of how to avoid them extremely daunting. Even shifting my work hours there are still a crap ton of people all over the roads.

Its almost gotten to the point where you have to buy a large chunk of private property just to get away from all the people and recreate. Its almost impossible to hunt in alaska anymore because everyone and there mom are out on 4 wheelers and the entire state seems to have 4 wheeler trails now so having a cub is only marginal leverage anymore.

The volume of people in Alaska stresses me out and my Russian is going slow so I wont be moving to Siberia anytime soon lol. Have you seen northern lights during rush hour or the glenn? What do all these people do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Why are you such a Debbie Downer about every single thing? Are you this miserable in your real life too, or do you just save it for us?

Old 01-15-2016, 03:36 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,190,464 times
If you don't like it here, MOVE or quit complaining on here.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:31 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,109,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Nope real life too. People tolerate it in real life because while I am a downer I am always activily problem solving. So its not technically "complaining" if I am able to form solutions or work arounds.

However, the fact that there were 45 min lines at alyeska when I was going to the restaurant at the top tells me that people have fun paying for an expensive lift ticket and getting 3-4 runs in while standing in line the rest of the time just because its "good snow". That is not rational to me, but if everyone got snowmachines and took turns towing each other up hatchers pass then hatchers pass would also become a night mare (or hiking up) because there is limited parking. So I guess you need the sheeple to all congragate somewhere so that there are other solutions to be had.

I am generally against things with low barriers to entry because then it becomes a hamster cage of dolts all loitering in a confined space which makes me want to go postal. If I wanted to stand packed in like a sardine I would move to LA and breath the smog and commute for 3 hours one way to some medocre job that I failed to negotiate a living wage for.

The exploding population and all of them on the roads and in the stores makes problem solving of how to avoid them extremely daunting. Even shifting my work hours there are still a crap ton of people all over the roads.

Its almost gotten to the point where you have to buy a large chunk of private property just to get away from all the people and recreate. Its almost impossible to hunt in alaska anymore because everyone and there mom are out on 4 wheelers and the entire state seems to have 4 wheeler trails now so having a cub is only marginal leverage anymore.

The volume of people in Alaska stresses me out and my Russian is going slow so I wont be moving to Siberia anytime soon lol. Have you seen northern lights during rush hour or the glenn? What do all these people do?
Dude/Dudette, you need to start smoking weed and learn to chill.

You are well on your way to a heart attack or mental breakdown.

Alaska, as a state, is practically a ghost town, so I don't understand why you feel overwhelmed by the "volume" of people that you want to "go postal".

I'm serious about smoking weed because you are way too stressed.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:11 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,845,945 times
I've been skiing Alyeska since the 70's. I've never stood in line 45 minutes for any chair lift or the tram. But it is better to ski on a week day vs the weekend.

And I would love to see a mountain coaster in this state. There are opportunities in many of the mountain based towns for these.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:52 PM

I am looking forward to the day when it is federally legal and becomes criminal for employers to test for it in any way shape or form. When that happens I will smoke.

Other than for catastrophic incidents with loss of life where the employer has to be able to demonstrate that the person was using very recently and not 2 weeks ago.

I think we will get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Dude/Dudette, you need to start smoking weed and learn to chill.

You are well on your way to a heart attack or mental breakdown.

Alaska, as a state, is practically a ghost town, so I don't understand why you feel overwhelmed by the "volume" of people that you want to "go postal".

I'm serious about smoking weed because you are way too stressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska