Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:04 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,034 times

Advertisements

Any opinions on the region near Palmer-Fishhook Road and Hatcher Pass from people who know the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 05:17 AM

57 posts, read 56,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericathynes View Post
As a real estate licensee, we can't answer questions about crime, safety, race, religion, schools because of the Fair Housing Act. Our answers can be construed as steering, and steering is against the law. I know it's frustrating not to be able to get a direct answer from us Realtors, but we can get you resources to look up the info and forums like this are fantastic because people can post their opinions when we can not. I know the Wasilla PD has their own website as does State Troopers. I couldn't find Palmer PD's crime stats via their website. A call to the police departments would be a good idea too since that's what they are doing on a daily basis.

City of Wasilla, AK : Monthly Crime and Accident Information

These sites may work for you too:

Mat-Su Crime Stoppers

Department of Public Safety Home

Palmer and Wasilla definitely have a different "feel" somewhat due to planning and development. When you come up and start your house hunt, you'll know what I'm talking about!

You could also consider Eagle River or Chugiak because you will be driving against the traffic and depending where, you may be 40 minutes away give-or-take, but you definitely get more bang-for-your-buck in the Valley (Wasilla/Palmer). RAIDSonline.com shows crime stats in Eagle River/Chugiak.
This is a great post. Thank you.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
Any opinions on the region near Palmer-Fishhook Road and Hatcher Pass from people who know the area?
I lived in that area for a year. It's like most places in the Valley. There's some nice homes, there's some homes that look like a refuge camp.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKStafford View Post
I lived in that area for a year. It's like most places in the Valley. There's some nice homes, there's some homes that look like a refuge camp.

I've noticed the same thing.

What about crime? Do you have any opinions on that?

Anchorage is a small enough city that I get creeped out by some of the random crimes I've heard happening because everything is pretty damn close together.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:32 PM

63 posts, read 225,056 times
We live in Wasilla currently near the Seldon and Wasilla Fishhook area and its quiet and nice. No crime issues at all and Ive been there about 4 years now. My husband even longer and he says the same. We will be moving within the next month or so to a meigbhohood off Edlund and KGB (about 2 miles down). It seems to be very safe as well. FWIW, my husband always finds that areas where cops and state troopers live to be very very safe. At least, he feels safer there. Our new neighborhood is home to a state trooper (we see the car in the driveway). I've also seen a fair number of them living in the Ranch subdivision (which is also large and teeming with families and kids). A lot of folks have been freaked out recently by a lot of theft in the area, but I haven't had any issues. When you begin your search, you can tell a lot based on the neighbrhood the house is in IMO. Are there a lot of junked cars parked in yards and driveways? Do nearby houses seem to be kept up well or not, that kind of thing. We have friends who live in one of the Serendipity neighborhoods and it also is nice as well.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:47 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lellenn View Post
We live in Wasilla currently near the Seldon and Wasilla Fishhook area and its quiet and nice. No crime issues at all and Ive been there about 4 years now. My husband even longer and he says the same. We will be moving within the next month or so to a meigbhohood off Edlund and KGB (about 2 miles down). It seems to be very safe as well. FWIW, my husband always finds that areas where cops and state troopers live to be very very safe. At least, he feels safer there. Our new neighborhood is home to a state trooper (we see the car in the driveway). I've also seen a fair number of them living in the Ranch subdivision (which is also large and teeming with families and kids). A lot of folks have been freaked out recently by a lot of theft in the area, but I haven't had any issues. When you begin your search, you can tell a lot based on the neighbrhood the house is in IMO. Are there a lot of junked cars parked in yards and driveways? Do nearby houses seem to be kept up well or not, that kind of thing. We have friends who live in one of the Serendipity neighborhoods and it also is nice as well.

I used to live in Serendipity Hills and I never had a problem. Now I live in a gated community inside the city limits and no problems so far.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:49 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
I've noticed the same thing.

What about crime? Do you have any opinions on that?

Anchorage is a small enough city that I get creeped out by some of the random crimes I've heard happening because everything is pretty damn close together.

Anchorage has a huge gang problem. Go to the mid town Wal Mart and you'd think you were in a third world country.

Old 05-14-2016, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Anchorage has a huge gang problem. Go to the mid town Wal Mart and you'd think you were in a third world country.
I've been in there. It's seedy as hell. We hate that Walmart lol

Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,819 times
Thanks so much for all the info!!! I've been noticing a lot of new construction on 1-acre parcels off KGB. That seems to be quite a bit farther south than a lot of the suggested "safe" neighborhoods and areas...any thoughts on these new developments? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-31-2016, 11:38 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWesterner13 View Post
Thanks so much for all the info!!! I've been noticing a lot of new construction on 1-acre parcels off KGB. That seems to be quite a bit farther south than a lot of the suggested "safe" neighborhoods and areas...any thoughts on these new developments? Thanks in advance!
KGB runs almost 20 miles long... How far out KGB would be the question. The Horizon area has some issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska