Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 09:07 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
The population surveys are done by air, so I see no reason why their count would be biased.

And, wolves aren't threatening human subsistence in the area.

Agreed that the population drop is most likely somewhat complex and not entirely due to abandoning the buffer zone.

FWIW, I do care about more tourists having the opportunity to see wolves. Wildlife viewing is one purpose of our national parks.

Air population surveys tend to not notice many animals, its normally only those out and about, in a thickly forested region (not sure how thickly forested denali is), a animal can be hard to see. Moose and other larger animals are easier, wolfs and other smaller animals (not small like a marten, but small enough to be able to dissapear into the sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 09:40 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Air population surveys tend to not notice many animals, its normally only those out and about, in a thickly forested region (not sure how thickly forested denali is), a animal can be hard to see. Moose and other larger animals are easier, wolfs and other smaller animals (not small like a marten, but small enough to be able to dissapear into the sticks.
How many aerial wildlife surveys have you participated in here in Alaska???

Old 05-27-2016, 09:45 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
If those wolves are killing off all the moose, maybe they need to be thinned back a bit?
They're not.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:06 PM

406 posts, read 755,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post

My personal thoughts are it's one thing to trap a very common small animal in Timbuktu Alaska where there is abundance of a certain kind of animal, but wolves in and near National Parks should be off limits... Surely Alaska is big enough to find another trapline.

Surely Mt McKinley National park is big enough to satisfy your needs for wolves!

Old 05-27-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
How many aerial wildlife surveys have you participated in here in Alaska???

Never said i did, nor have i ever stated i ever visited alaska. What i was merely refering to is many other states (and canadian provinces), have heavily miscounted game doing aireal surveys. It is normally good enough to get a base estimate, but can at times be very inacurate. Assuming these numbers are true, trapping should be banned inside the park, and possibly outside it for a range of say 50-100 miles (last part could be debatable), but before passing laws on what can be done outside, i was trying to bring up that i feel it should be backed by other methods of population counting. One could trap, tag and release wildlife as many states do, you could interview local trappers/hunters who venture into the backcountry on what they feel it is like (without telling them why ofc), you could require registration of all trapped wolfs in that area (may already be in place, not sure, nor do i feel like pulling up alaskas digest atm).

I think of it like buying a product after reading 1 review, that 1 review could be extemely on point, or it could be the oppisite of the truth for whatever reason. Before you go invest money in that product, you should make sure you have a decent idea of what your dealing with.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitgreb View Post
Surely Mt McKinley National park is big enough to satisfy your needs for wolves!
I support banning trapping in National Parks, but not National forests. And i feel that a extension or a no trapping boundary around parks should be only for endangered/threatened species in the area, but only after multible methods of population counting have been used, as stated in my above comment.

National parks should also have hunting bans, as the Parks tend to attract people who want a more 'civilized' experience, whereas forests, or even wilderness areas, attract those who want a 'i am all by my lonesomes' expeirence. Forests should be used for economics and recreational purposes (and trapping can be both), Parks only for recreation, and a softer less rugged recreation. Wilderness areas should be for recreation, but all recreation, rugged hunting/trapping/backpacking included, but no logging/resource extraction (except in limited situations such as cutting a stand of dead dry trees, or other purposes which also benefit the health of the forest).

This is my take, YMMV

Old 05-27-2016, 11:20 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Folks, trapping in those areas, if permitted by F&G and the Board of Game, should not be a problem. Now in the park itself it should not be allowed. What I don't like about the Board of Game is the killing of late-season moose cows (antler-less hunts) around Washington Creek, around Fairbanks, North Pole, and so on. But then, that's my opinion because I like to see moose in my backyard and near the roads, something that has become rare in recent years.

The News Miner article is just an opinion from someone who does not like the idea of trapping wolves in that area, and opinions are like rumps, as everyone has one. Read what the Board of Game has to say about it, not just someone's opinion.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-27-2016 at 11:36 PM..

Old 05-28-2016, 04:44 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKezarWoodsman View Post
Never said i did, nor have i ever stated i ever visited alaska. What i was merely refering to is many other states (and canadian provinces), have heavily miscounted game doing aireal surveys. It is normally good enough to get a base estimate, but can at times be very inacurate. Assuming these numbers are true, trapping should be banned inside the park, and possibly outside it for a range of say 50-100 miles (last part could be debatable), but before passing laws on what can be done outside, i was trying to bring up that i feel it should be backed by other methods of population counting. One could trap, tag and release wildlife as many states do, you could interview local trappers/hunters who venture into the backcountry on what they feel it is like (without telling them why ofc), you could require registration of all trapped wolfs in that area (may already be in place, not sure, nor do i feel like pulling up alaskas digest atm).

I think of it like buying a product after reading 1 review, that 1 review could be extemely on point, or it could be the oppisite of the truth for whatever reason. Before you go invest money in that product, you should make sure you have a decent idea of what your dealing with.
You really don't have any idea how aerial surveys are conducted.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:56 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
It was interesting reading the link to that Nat-Geo article and all the different view points. While I understand it's completely legal, I do think it's somewhat bad taste to do so on the border of a national park when it's not necessary to do so.

I also don't care if tourists see wolves or not, but the fact that they are seen much less frequently nowadays seems to confirm that there are probably less of them. I would like to see a healthy wolf population that remains in the park and hopefully they can sustain the numbers.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:37 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
It was interesting reading the link to that Nat-Geo article and all the different view points. While I understand it's completely legal, I do think it's somewhat bad taste to do so on the border of a national park when it's not necessary to do so.

I also don't care if tourists see wolves or not, but the fact that they are seen much less frequently nowadays seems to confirm that there are probably less of them. I would like to see a healthy wolf population that remains in the park and hopefully they can sustain the numbers.
Right. Unless I'm missing some urgent reason to do it, this is a total dick maneuver. It is legal, but it seems like... cheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska